• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miami may be few on quarterbacks

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Don't insult retards... associating learning disabled people with STK is insulting to them... and you are just increasing STK's ego  ;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

it must kill these UM people to think that a recruit that they really wanted is turning them down for USF....

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/sportstoryS0127UMRECRUITING0.htm

Search for QB on at UM

BY CRAIG HANDEL

FLORIDA TODAY

Less than a week from the national signing day, the University of Miami football team doesn't have a firm commitment from a quarterback.

There also is a dearth of skilled-position players.

Still, Miami's 2005 football recruiting class continues to be highly rated.

When Oceanside (Calif.) High quarterback Derek Shaw de-committed from Miami recently, he left the Hurricanes in a lurch. Miami coaches now are focused on Carlton Hill, who visited Miami last weekend. After the visit, he said the Hurricanes and South Florida are neck-and-neck.

"Hill is touch and go," CaneSports managing editor Matt Shodell said.

"It seems they're trying to go after a more multi-dimensional quarterback. He's a tremendous athlete. He can throw like (Ken) Dorsey and scramble real well. He can cause problems for a defense."

Miami traditionally has done best with quarterbacks who are throwers, not runners, but the Hurricanes are in a bind after Shaw's decision. After verbally committing to Miami in the fall, Shaw called California recruits and tried to convince them to follow him.

Reality hit, though, after Shaw played in the Florida-California High School All-Star game in Miami. He realized how far he was from home. He then wrote Hurricanes coach Larry Coker and told him of his feelings.

"They stopped recruiting a lot of quarterbacks, now three weeks before (the signing date), he de-commits," Shodell said. "A lot of quarterbacks committed elsewhere. If coaches don't feel Hill is coming, they're going to have to pull something out of their hat, I don't know what. I can't see them going with just two scholarship quarterbacks."

Miami's two quarterbacks on scholarship are redshirt sophomore Kyle Wright and redshirt freshman Kirby Freeman. Both were bothered by injuries last season.

The Hurricanes received a verbal commitment from their own wide receiver this week, Lavar Lobdell of Syracuse, N.Y. They don't have a tailback committed and may not sign one if Pahokee's Antone Smith doesn't come. Smith, considered one of the nation's top backs, has visited Miami and Florida and plans to stop in Tallahassee this weekend.

"Antone is very important, one of the guys still remaining who's a high priority," Shodell said."But it's not the end of the world if he doesn't come. They've still got some good running backs."

Miami's other more recent commitments are offensive lineman Matt Pipho of Iowa and defensive lineman Luqman Abdallah of New Jersey. Recruiting services have the Hurricanes ranked around the top 10. They have commitments from four of the top 100 players, according to Rivals.com, led by offensive lineman Reginald Youngblood of Houston.

Miami has focused much of its recruiting on linebackers and offensive linemen.

The Hurricanes have about 20 scholarships to give after juniors Frank Gore and Roscoe Parrish left for the NFL and cornerback Travarous Bain (Hampton) and tight end Brandon Sebald (Hofstra) transferred.

Handel, a staff writer at the Fort Myers News-Press, covers the University of Miami for FLORIDA TODAY.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  184

::Tear::

That's me crying for Miami.  

::)

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

you forgot the ::extremesarcasm:: tag  ;)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Where do they get these guys? ???

"Hill is touch and go," CaneSports managing editor Matt Shodell said.

"It seems they're trying to go after a more multi-dimensional quarterback. He's a tremendous athlete. He can throw like (Ken) Dorsey and scramble real well. He can cause problems for a defense."

Hill's only touch and go when he speaks with a rivals editor from Canesports.   Also, has this guy ever seen Hill throw?  That doesn't come close to describing Hill- 'can throw like Ken Dorsey.'  Please, Ken had a weak arm, and was deftly accurate inside 25 yards, and a real heady player that hardly describes Hill who's had accuracy issues, tends to run first instead of working through his receiver progressions, and has a rifle for an arm.  Oh, and the scrambles real well, the guy runs like a top notch cutback player then a QB scrambler.

It sure is a good thing they used this dude as a source for the article.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

flipflop4900,

I too know who you are, and I'm sure that I speak for a lot of us on this board when I say that we thank you for being on here and putting an end to these rumors about Matt before they really get started.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

No prob at all...saw it comming so thought I would smash it!!         ;D

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Jealousy will make retards say some stupid things.

Hehehehehe!

You're ok, Beastie!   ;D

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i don't think we will get both hill and grothe

whenthe first one commits the second one will go somewhere else

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

i don't think we will get both hill and grothe

whenthe first one commits the second one will go somewhere else

What!?!  Where have you been?  They have both comitted to us.