• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Final Regular Season Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

came back to win 4-3 after being down 3-1 with 3 outs left but couldn't get a win from BE Champ UConn, Louisville, or Georgetown.....SMH

here's video of the walkoff squeeze if anyone wants to see it. i missed him laying down the bunt though - http://twitvid.com/P6B8X

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  48
  • Days Won:  0

The Great 8,

What traction is being made? For the first time in 30+ years there have been back to back losing season...only traction I see is a losing one!

• Content Count:  48

In 5 seasons Prado is 12 games over .500, and the quality of opponents has plummeted compared to what Cardieri would put together on a schedule.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Agreed but what does the team have to accomplish next year to save Prado? BE Champs?

Do you think he's safe after this season?

Woolard recently stated he's safe for one more year following this one

Where and when did he say that? Making that statement, especially this time of year, is totally out of character for DW ...

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

The Great 8,

What traction is being made? For the first time in 30+ years there have been back to back losing season...only traction I see is a losing one!

Referring to all sports and the university brand becoming more well known.

Prado isn't the guy that should be here, but regardless of how he does on the field the prestige of the university is improving. Obviously, hopefully he doesn't drag his specific program through the mud so much it takes time to recover from it. But, if softball, football, etc  players are buzzing about the university so are/will baseball players.

• Content Count:  763

Someone please answer this questions. I've kept up with baseball recruiting a little over the past few years (by no means an expert) and noticed that we tend to get great talent committed but once the MLB draft comes around, all of that top end talent takes the money and bolts to the minor leagues.

With that said, how in the hell are we going to turn this around when this constantly happens every year?

This will most definitely happen this year as well. This kid Fernandez is committed to USF yet ESPN's mock draft currently has him going #17 to the Angels (I've seen many others with him in the 1st round . . . some to the Rays as well :D).

Jose Fernandez

RHP | Alonso High School

Weight: 215 lbs.

Height: 6-3

Fernandez caught a lot of eyes when he hit 98 mph in his inning in the 2010 AFLAC All-American Game, and for pure arm strength he's tough to beat in this year's prep class.

He'll sit 92-95 and can touch 97 as a starter, although I doubt he'll pitch above 95 in pro ball. His upper-70s curveball has good shape with a near 12-to-6 break. He also throws a 81-83 mph slider that would probably miss bats in A-ball right now, but he struggles with his release point on both breaking balls and as a result doesn't command either of them yet, with one often running into the other.

Fernandez is well-developed physically and there's little projection remaining. He starts his delivery with a high leg kick and tilts his pitching shoulder down to generate more leverage, although he doesn't rotate his hips much and has a slight arm wrap before he turns his pitching hand over. This is unusually good arm speed that, with his current size, mean the team that drafts him won't have to wait on him to fill out; he'll advance as quickly as his command and feel for his off-speed stuff develop.

• Content Count:  1,390

Every team has signees that get drafted. You really think USF is losing recruits to the MLB and FSU, UF, UCF, etc aren't?

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

An end to another disappointing season for an underachieving program.  IF USF wants to establish a sound baseball program the administration will have some tough decisions to make this summer.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Agreed but what does the team have to accomplish next year to save Prado? BE Champs?

Do you think he's safe after this season?

Woolard recently stated he's safe for one more year following this one

Where and when did he say that? Making that statement, especially this time of year, is totally out of character for DW ...

I missed it as well. I don't think it's out of character for DW to say that since he has done this before when the Huggins rumors started and he backed McCullum for another season.

• Content Count:  2,523

I think in the end a change is going to be needed soon like in basketball, but he's going to be loyal to all these guys and give them a chance to have the facilities work for them to see if it makes any difference.  Let's face it, if by having all these facilities these programs take the next step then continuity is better than starting over.  Plus this allows DW to save face when he does fire them the next season bc he can say, "Look, everyone was calling for your head, but I gave you EVERYTHING possible to improve the program and it didn't work out."  This will be a strong selling point to the next coach, especially if we're going to target a proven commodity where they look how the administration treats the staff more than the opportunity bc they often can look at many similar opportunities.

I can't really be upset about one more season, but from what I've seen I don't think it's really going to matter in this case. 

Lastly, I'd be SHOCKED if that pitcher above ever steps foot on the USF campus.  That's just a case of these guys committing in case they get hurt so they have a fall back plan for an education. 

What they need to do with these players is say this.  I'll give you your "back up plan" where if you for some reason don't go pro, injury, bad draft status etc.  However, if you end up signing and not coming here due to going pro, you write a check to the program out of that multi million dollar deal to "give back" as a nice gesture for the one we extended you.

If they're not willing to take that deal, then you know they aren't coming anyway and we can actually focus our energies on someone who has a realistic chance of actually setting foot on campus.

Chances are these arrangements can't be done, but it should would be nice if they were.

Archived