• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our 2011 O-Line class according to Josh Newberg

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

USF96@joshnewberg would nxt yrs class have more skill plyrs? We loaded up on O-line this yr.@joshnewberg #USF offered OT Jessamen Dunker today

@USF96 signing bodies doesn't mean loading up...show me a kid that can play like Dunker on the roster. Kids a monster.

Guess his evaluation of our class is that we just signed some big bodies. Max Lang copes to mind as a quality OLineman, Offered by FSU,South Carolina, Miami among others.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Newberg's a Nole. Probably still stinging from getting whupped in Tallahassee. Guess our O-Linemen were good enough that day. I appreciate that he watches the recruiting scene, but if he really knew talent he would be coaching somewhere. In Skip I Trust.

Guest AstroBull

I know a coach who went up against Lang this year. Said he's got a good motor, excellent size and strength, and most importantly has a mean streak a mile long. Max will be a good one

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I don't know why you guys get worked up by Newberg's comments or take swipes at him for being a Nole.  He's right, none of the guys we recruited on the OL this year look like Dunker on film either.  Guess what? 90% of college football did not get an OL recruit like Dunker.  6'6" guys with NFL frames don't fall off the turnip truck every day. 

However, our OL coaching is better than it has been since Frey left and the staff will have to build these guys up. 

I dont care that he is a nole. I just thought it was interesting that his evaluation was that we just signed a bunch of bodies.

• Content Count:  4,642

seems like a fair assessment to me;  while everyone is signing 4-5 star talent around the state, we load up on 2-3 star talent.  i still subscribe to the fact that you have to see these guys' whole careers to give a proper evaluation on their progress and their fit into skip's system, but....  if you go by TODAY'S ranking/rating, then josh is spot on.

i personally believe that half of these guys will become a great asset to our team and pan out to become 4-5 star level talent within a few years.

seems like a fair assessment to me;  while everyone is signing 4-5 star talent around the state, we load up on 2-3 star talent.  i still subscribe to the fact that you have to see these guys' whole careers to give a proper evaluation on their progress and their fit into skip's system, but....  if you go by TODAY'S ranking/rating, then josh is spot on.

i personally believe that half of these guys will become a great asset to our team and pan out to become 4-5 star level talent within a few years.

Don't forget the 4 star talent that these guys lower as soon as they commit early to USF. Just like Lang this year who was a 4 star. Tell you what though, that FSU O-line in 2009 looked like just a bunch of bodies when we played them. I'm sure they were all 4-5 star talent with unbelievable agility and athleticism for their size coming out of high school.

• Content Count:  406

Don't bash the man, he covers USF recrutiing more than most of the country.  He also didn't say they were crap.  He was referencing that we have had a need for OL bodies and signed just that - he never said they were talentless.

Dunker is a monster, no one in our class this year compares in terms of sheer potential.  Lang has a ton of potential, but not the sheer physical potential that Dunker has.

Although I'm all for coaching up to say that half the guys will become 4-5 star talent is a bit off.  If they live up to that billing half of them will be in the top half of the NFL Draft.  Lets be realistic. 

I like the potential of the OL recruits we brought in and I'm hoping that they will bring competetion and a few will evolve to solid starters paving the way to a BIG EAST Championship which will begin opening the eyes of the best talent in the state and the surrounding area.  One step at a time. 

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

no matter how you cut usf did horrible in recruiting

no matter how you cut usf did horrible in recruiting

USF will have best recruiting class this year - smazza

Matt Floyd is site. - smazza