• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Earl Moore DT Hillsborough HS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

things can change quick, especially when the ncaa comes snooping around.  Old story, but updated news.  http://miami.247sports.com/Article/NCAA-to-Question-UM-35464

Was in the chicago tribune this morning, link online led me to 247 sports, but there are other sources.  Could be nothing, but normally where theres smoke theres fire.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

things can change quick, especially when the ncaa comes snooping around.  Old story, but updated news.  http://miami.247sports.com/Article/NCAA-to-Question-UM-35464

Was in the chicago tribune this morning, link online led me to 247 sports, but there are other sources.  Could be nothing, but normally where theres smoke theres fire.

Yeah I was just going to mention that, when I saw your post.

NCAA looking into booster's claims that Miami players took cash

By Bryan Fischer

Special to CBSSports.com

Aug. 15, 2011 

The NCAA has launched an investigation into the University of Miami's athletic department involving a potentially damaging extra benefits case, two sources confirmed to CBSSports.com.

InsideTheU.com first reported the news.

A source confirmed that the focus of the investigation stems from claims made by Nevin Shapiro, a Miami booster who has been convicted of running a multimillion dollar Ponzi scheme. He is working on a tell-all book about the claims, which is expected to name nearly 100 athletes at the school who broke NCAA rules since 2001. Shapiro donated $150,000 to the athletic department and was a frequent guest on the sidelines at Hurricanes practices and games.

Palm Beach Post beat writer Jorge Milian reported Sunday night that Shapiro would also be the focus of a damaging story from Yahoo! Sports.

One source said Miami was "in big trouble" as a result of the claims and that Shapiro would be able to back up his allegations. Most of the allegations focus on Miami football players receiving money and other benefits as a result of playing for the Hurricanes. Investigators are expected to question several current players with ties to Shapiro but one source said there was no connection between the current coaching staff and the booster.

The NCAA has been active in South Florida over the past several months, sending investigators to various 7-on-7 camps and making connections with parents and coaches. One source added that the secondary focus of the look was on the recruiting methods of at least three SEC schools and a number of ACC schools in the area. It is unclear whether the two probes are connected but one person told CBSSports.com that the NCAA will be questioning several people connected to the Miami players, such as coaches and other "third parties" connected to them.

Though several have called Shapiro's information into question, two sources told CBSSports.com that the NCAA is taking the claims seriously and investigators have used information from convicted felons in the past.

The NCAA does have a four-year statute of limitations. Miami was hit with major sanctions in 1995 as a result of a lack of institutional control stemming from a financial aid and extra benefits scandal.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15439998/ncaa-looking-into-boosters-claim-that-miami-players-took-cash

• Content Count:  7,521
  • Days Won:  10

I suspect that he'll be on the sidelines for our game with them and hopefully a solid USF win might swing him back from the dark side...

• Content Count:  502

I'm in.  Hallelujah!!!!!!

This has to hurt Miami recruiting. As soon as one of their verbals decommit< I expect others to soon follow.

Updated: August 15, 2011, 3:04 PM ET

NCAA investigating Miami, lawyer saysEmailPrintComments469ESPN.com news services

MIAMI -- NCAA investigators visited the University of Miami campus Monday looking into claims that more than a dozen former or current football players received gifts and services from convicted Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro, his attorney said.

Shapiro has told the NCAA he provided players with the use of a yacht and other favors, said his attorney, Maria Elena Perez. Shapiro and Perez have been talking with the NCAA about the matter for a couple of months and provided documentation, she said.

University officials didn't immediately respond to requests for comment. School officials and current players were expected to be interviewed.

Larry Coker, the Hurricanes' coach from 2001 through 2006 who now holds the head coaching job at Texas-San Antonio, said he recognized Shapiro by name but wouldn't be able to by face.

"If he walked up to me right now I wouldn't know it," Coker told ESPN's Joe Schad. "He was 'around the program.' I certainly wasn't aware of any improprieties. Now, when you look at college athletics today, would it surprise me if somebody gave gifts to players? No, it wouldn't."

Another former Miami coach, Randy Shannon, who was fired in November, had no comment when contacted by ESPN.

Shapiro's relationship with the program dates back about a decade. Some of the alleged incidents occurred in the past four years, which would be within the NCAA's statute of limitations regarding violations.

Shapiro, 42, was sentenced in June by a New Jersey federal judge to 20 years in prison for his role in an investment fraud scheme. He pleaded guilty to charges related to running a multistate Ponzi scheme that prosecutors say left more than 60 investors in Florida, Indiana and New Jersey with nearly $100 million in losses.

Perez said Shapiro had cooperated with bankruptcy and government officials to try to recover as much money as possible for his victims.

"During the course of this, things came up which resulted in the investigation, which is ongoing," Perez said.

Shapiro was generous with his investors' money, donating to athletic groups and charities and getting a student-athlete lounge named after him at Miami by donating $150,000. Shapiro's name was removed from the lounge in 2008 after the school said he did not follow his pledged donation-payment plan.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6863676/ponzi-schemer-attorney-says-ncaa-probing-whether-miami-hurricanes-got-gifts

• Content Count:  1,741

Why are there TWO different TOPICS HERE?

Tampa Hillsborough High School DT Earl Moore committed to coach Hurlie Brown Sunday at the conclusion of a day in which he toured campus, spoke with players, watched the team scrimmage and more.

"I committed because, just being around the coaches, talking to them, I just felt real comfortable around them," Moore said. "Coach Brown, I was just talking and I just let him know what I wanted to do. He was excited, real excited.

"I talked to coach (Al) Golden afterward. He said he's very excited, happy for me."

Moore added that "Before today I had little feelings about Miami, that it might be a great place. But I wasn't quite sure. Being around the coaches and all that, it felt like the right place. I talked to players. They were telling me good things, helping me realize Miami was the right choice for me."

Of his goals at Miami, Moore said, "I know Miami is a place that can help you out getting to the pros, and I'm just trying to help out the program and do as much as I can.

"I see us winning titles."

Why is there no link?  ;)  :D

Why are there TWO different TOPICS HERE?

Perhaps, to keep away the gloating Miami trolls from this board.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Miami's getting to their last 7 or so scholarships this class. Earl better be careful taking visits and having his pulled if the UM staff gets someone they like/need more. 

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

This has to hurt Miami recruiting. As soon as one of their verbals decommit< I expect others to soon follow.

Updated: August 15, 2011, 3:04 PM ET

NCAA investigating Miami, lawyer saysEmailPrintComments469ESPN.com news services

MIAMI -- NCAA investigators visited the University of Miami campus Monday looking into claims that more than a dozen former or current football players received gifts and services from convicted Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro, his attorney said.

Shapiro has told the NCAA he provided players with the use of a yacht and other favors, said his attorney, Maria Elena Perez. Shapiro and Perez have been talking with the NCAA about the matter for a couple of months and provided documentation, she said.

University officials didn't immediately respond to requests for comment. School officials and current players were expected to be interviewed.

Larry Coker, the Hurricanes' coach from 2001 through 2006 who now holds the head coaching job at Texas-San Antonio, said he recognized Shapiro by name but wouldn't be able to by face.

"If he walked up to me right now I wouldn't know it," Coker told ESPN's Joe Schad. "He was 'around the program.' I certainly wasn't aware of any improprieties. Now, when you look at college athletics today, would it surprise me if somebody gave gifts to players? No, it wouldn't."

Another former Miami coach, Randy Shannon, who was fired in November, had no comment when contacted by ESPN.

Shapiro's relationship with the program dates back about a decade. Some of the alleged incidents occurred in the past four years, which would be within the NCAA's statute of limitations regarding violations.

Shapiro, 42, was sentenced in June by a New Jersey federal judge to 20 years in prison for his role in an investment fraud scheme. He pleaded guilty to charges related to running a multistate Ponzi scheme that prosecutors say left more than 60 investors in Florida, Indiana and New Jersey with nearly $100 million in losses.

Perez said Shapiro had cooperated with bankruptcy and government officials to try to recover as much money as possible for his victims.

"During the course of this, things came up which resulted in the investigation, which is ongoing," Perez said.

Shapiro was generous with his investors' money, donating to athletic groups and charities and getting a student-athlete lounge named after him at Miami by donating $150,000. Shapiro's name was removed from the lounge in 2008 after the school said he did not follow his pledged donation-payment plan.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6863676/ponzi-schemer-attorney-says-ncaa-probing-whether-miami-hurricanes-got-gifts

I read somewhere, that Shapiro claims that UM officials were aware of the payments. These kinds of allegations, if true, are "death penalty" stuff. He's in Jail, they took his name off the lounge, he's gonna spill his guts.

Archived