• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting development in Pitt/WVU saga

GaUSFBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Looks like both schools are going after the same coach, Dana Holgorsen.  I really hope WVU doesn't backdoor Stewart like they're talking about, especially if WVU wins their bowl game.  It wouldn't be right.

West Virginia also pursuing Holgorsen

Monday, December 13, 2010

By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There is a new twist to the Backyard Brawl -- West Virginia is expressing interest in a coach who was one of the top prospects for the Pitt job.

Sources confirmed today that a high-ranking official from West Virginia's athletic department has been in contact with Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen about the head coaching position at West Virginia, even as there is no vacancy.

Holgorsen had been among the top candidates for Pitt's job, but sources said late Monday afternoon that he was no longer being considered.

The West Virginia job would only come open if West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck fired Mountaineers coach Bill Stewart either before, or after, West Virginia plays in the Champs Sports Bowl on Dec. 28 against North Carolina State. Luck declined to comment.

A source confirmed it is probable Stewart will be fired if West Virginia does not win that bowl game, and could happen regardless of the outcome. A win in the bowl game would give the Mountaineers a 10-win season.

The source also confirmed that West Virginia offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen's situation plays into the mix, as Mullen is a finalist for the head coach job at Kent State. If Mullen were to get the Kent State job, the source said the succession plan would be for Holgorsen to work under Stewart for one season as the offensive coordinator with the understanding that Stewart would retire after the 2011 season, making way for Holgorsen to become head coach.

The source indicated Stewart, whose contract runs through the 2013 season, is vehemently against such a plan and would resign before having Holgorsen work as a "coach in waiting" beneath him.

Holgorsen has ties to Luck. Holgorsen coached at Texas Tech from 2000-07 and at Houston from 2008-09 before going to Oklahoma State and still maintains a residence in Houston.

In 2001, Luck accepted a position a CEO of the Houston Sports Authority before becoming president of the Houston Dynamo soccer team in 2005. He became West Virginia's athletic director in June, but still maintains a residence in Houston.

When reached, both Luck and Stewart refused comment on the matter. Stewart has a 28-11 record in his three seasons as head coach at West Virginia, the second-most wins in West Virginia history through 39 games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10347/1110499-142.stm

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

According to Stewart Mandel it's a done deal. 6 year deal at WVU and he takes over for bill Stewart after next season.

How'd you like to be Pitt right now?

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

According to Stewart Mandel it's a done deal. 6 year deal at WVU and he takes over for bill Stewart after next season.

How'd you like to be Pitt right now?

I feel worse for Stewart than I do for Pitt.  He's one of the true good guys in CFB.  But it does suck to be Pitt - you get creamed in the Brawl and then your archrival steals your coach ... the story in itself is pretty classic. 

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Can't blame WVU.  They saw their team underperform, especially on offense this year.  Losing to Syracuse and UConn because they couldn't generate offense really cheesed off a lot of the donors.  They love the defensive side of things that has really improved since RRod left, but the offense is in the toilet.  They looked against Rutgers, but that's Rutgers.  They got helped against Pitt by their D. 

I think West Virginia looks at the BE this year and sees no reason why they couldn't have won the conference.  Then they look and see the offense not taking care of the ball and not moving very well against LSU - but still being in that game.  WVU lost all three games by a combined 14 points while having the tools on offense to be much better.  Geno Smith looks like the can be even better than this year and my bet is they believe Holgerson can really bring great things out in him with a new offense.  West Virginia is thinking it needs to be in BCS title talk - because that's where they want to be.  And WVU finishing 11-1 this year would have helped they Big East out in a big way.  They'd be at least top 15 if not top ten and no one would be griping about them in a BCS bowl, especially since they have a history of winning them.

Pitt is a bit hosed.  They are now talking about getting Paul Pasqualoni.  Granted, he did well at Syracuse and only had one losing season there.  Getting rid of him proved to be a bad mistake for the Orange, especially after they got Robinson to replace him.  He knows recruiting in the area and often had Syracuse highly ranked, so it could be a good hire.  But Golden was apparently their #1 choice and the Chancellor of the school has axed a few choices for some reason.

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Is it just me or does this guy look just like comedian Steven Wright???

DanaHolgorsen.jpg

wright1.jpg

I mean every time I see this guy coaching on the West Virginia sideline.....I am just going to keep thinking....."Hey, isn't that the guy on the couch in Half Baked??"

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Why did his picture come out okay on the preview but not when I posted it. Can't modify either.

Well lets try it again.

Dana Holgorsen

Dana-Holgorsen.jpg

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

if he is just 10% as funny his media moments will be phenominal

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172