• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who is visiting the campus this weekend?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

You're tired of hearing all the advertisments, yet you're one of them that whine's incessantly for recruiting information that, ummmm, comes to you from rivals.

Maybe Rivals will have some insight into this ironic situation.  You should check it out.

And "whine's incessantly"?  A slight exaggeration, I asked two recruiting questions, one who a RB was they were referring to on thier site that was snubbed by Alabama, which was before I knew that it was taboo to ask about Rivals, and since then I havent asked anything about thier site.  

And the 2nd question I raised (which is this thread) was asking who was visiting this past weekend.  I didnt realize but was informed that it was against NCAA policy for schools to announce that information.  And with that I dropped the issue.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Assuming that it is against NCAA policy for schools to give out that info, I just wonder why our local Newspaper sports reporters Brett & Greg don't usually report who will be visiting on a particular weekend. Certainly if rivals or Insiders has that info they do as well.  

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Howie - Most of the time the local papers don't have that info.  They don't spend their time tracking down recruits.  The only way they would get it is if they were taking it from a recruiting pay site.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Rivals has a much broader network of recruiting information than the newspapers.  Also, Dave and Freak and whomever else they utilize actually spend time contacting schools, coaches, etc.  That is why they get so protective of their information - understandably so.

Scout.com does not have a USF operator (like Dave and Freak are to Rivals, or our team is to this site and SFB) on board.  If they did, they too would probably have much better USF information.  The fact is, someone has to get the info.  Scout is the old Rivals gang and reading their press clippings, seem destined for good things.

I would involve myself in all the recruiting effort if I ever felt like it was worth the work.  It seems to take a lot of work to come up with something to say about guys that typically don't sign or don't pan out when they do.  My interest starts when they sign.  It increases when they start to practice.  By kickoff, I am ready.

HowieP and Velcro, et al,  are doing some good things with recruiting information on the other board.  There are sources of information other than Rivals and HowieP can find it.  I request that no one use Dave and Freak's  authored content without their permission.  Beyond that have fun, we'll see how it all plays out shortly.

HowieP and Velcro, et al,  are doing some good things with recruiting information on the other board.

In this case "the other board" means the Prospects & Potential Recruits Board here at THeBullsPen.com, not the "other other board."   ;D

Well, I don't buy a lot of what is being said.

Look at what the State does. They are a NEWSPAPER.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/high_school/10607224.htm

Where do they get their information to write an extensive article like that on who visited and who will be visiting?

Somebody, must be feeding them that info.

It's my hunch that Bettt and Greg don't write about it in advance so as not to dry up their sources at USF. I think USF doesn't want that info out there and I can't really blame them.

I don't buy that the papers take their information from paid recruiting sites as Omni says, but I do believe the paid sites have a better network established than the average newpaper.  

I believe that if the SPT or TBO felt there was enough interest in dedicatiing a staff to the recruiting piece they would.  I just don't see where that stimulates anyone other than the most zealous of fans.  

I also think credibility pays a part in whether or not the newspapers jump into the recruiting business.  How many times would Brett or Greg be wrong before people stopped reading their print?  Really, who knows where these kids are really going to go until signing day?  Or if they'll ever live up to the hype?

Likewise, having a father that was a college coach and an MLB scout, I am well aware of differences in scouts' opinions when it comes to skills and how politics play into ratings and how coaches can talk up/down a player.  

Again, I may be the exception.  The greatest value I find in any of the scouting information is in reviewing how many of the top players list us as a possibility.  As a whole, I use that to guage the exposure and interest in our program.

As far as USF's involvement, who knows.   Perhaps.  I think overall, the beat writers are better off staying out of the recruiting game and presenting other more specific and informative stories on USF.

Bulliever...Well, it is RECRUITING SEASON, and Leavitt said we need to have our best recruiting class this year to compete in the Big East. So, it's NEWS as to WHO will be visiting each weekend.

I don't think beat reporter's around the country are calling every kid who they know is interested in their particular school to ask when they will be visiting.

I think most of them go to a source at the school who tells them these are the kids and then lists them in the paper.

I may be wrong.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

That's part of THEIR logo just like USF Rivals uses THEIR own bull.

usf_logo.gif

Speaking of which, wasn't USF going to revise the official "Bull" again? I at least was led to believe that we would unveil a FULL Bull, but I never saw it.

Ok, it kind of looks like those rejected Bulls logos that surfaced on the internet before USF switched to the iconic U logo.  Kind of a cartoonish bull; it looked funny to me.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

Supposedly. I guess Rivals doesn't know everything.  ;)

This was a total last minute thing.  I talked to him Thursday and he said he wasn't coming (Duhart cancelled and was going to Illinois) because Meyer wanted him to come to USF.   Phillips told me flat-out he wasn't coming (well, to be fair he said 90% chance he wasn't coming).

Now either the coaches read (or heard about it) and got him back on the schedule or God only knows.  These things are fluid.  As of Thurs. night the three of them were here and there.  Looks like Bulls got them into town which is good.   Obviously they are waiting to see specifically what happens w/ Miami, UF, FSU....as most of the players that are on the fence w/ USF.