• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What are we still looking for? Football Recruiting.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I am pretty sure that we are still after Defensive Linemen. We have none yet in this class and there is an awful lot of chatter out  there associating us with various recruits. I think our best chances include, Cornellius Carradine, Elkino  Watson, Derrick Thorpe and a few other longer shots like Bell.

I am also pretty sure that we are still recruiting WR's. As in the DL's there is an awful lot of noise about us and various WR recruits. I think our best chances here are Rashawn Scott,Curt Evans, Davonte Allen,  Andre Davis, Reuben Gonzalez, Eli Rogers and Devin Clarke.

I would have to think we are still looking at CB's. None yet in this class and some good prospects out there. I think our chances are best with Kenneth Durden.

I would have thought we would pick up another LB, but with the commit from Jeune on Friday, it appears to me that we are done.

I haven't read or heard anything for a while on QB's, RB's or OL's. We seem to be stocked so far in those categories.

Not sure how many spots are left, but I think we can assume that some number of the recruits may reopen, fall short on grades, fall short on test scores. That is going to create some additional opportunities. I do think the number of non-qualifiers this year will be a lot less than in years past, we seem to be focusing more on student-athletes this year.

Disclaimer: I am sure I have left out some viable prospects, feel free to add them here. Secondly, I am not claiming to be an authority on this whole class, I was interested in where we were at in the minds of the rest of you so i wanted to throw out what I was thinking and see how it compared to everyone's opinion. 

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

We still in the running for local WR Andre Davis?

We still in the running for local WR Andre Davis?

here are his quotes from 2 days ago. I think there is a lot of work left to be done for anyone to land him.

Recruiting: Q&A with Jefferson WR Andre Davis

Fri. October 22, 2010 | Eduardo A. Encina

TAMPA – For every jaw-dropping catch Jefferson receiver Andre Davis makes in a game, he probably makes two in practice.

The three-star recruit has had his share of highlight-film worthy grabs, but the best-kept secret is that this year he’s been making them despite not being 100 percent.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Davis is just getting healthy from a nagging ankle injury, but it hasn’t stopped him from remaining one of the bay area’s most feared wideouts. Heading into Friday’s Class 3A-8 game at Spoto, in which the Dragons can all but clinch the district title, he has 26 catches for 638 yards and six touchdowns.

Before a recent practice, Davis took time out to chat with Times staff writer Eduardo A. Encina about his recruiting, nicknames, playing in a pass happy system and his ultimate goal

How is your recruiting going?

I’m down to seven, but Georgia and Cincinnati came back into the picture a little with Rutgers, Texas Tech, Florida State, USF and West Virginia.

As you try to make up your mind, what’s going to be important to you in choosing where you go?

Well, it’s got to be a school with my major, which is business management. Most schools have it. The coaches, if I click with the coaches, I’m going to think about that. And also if I’m able to play early.

What’s been the biggest surprise about the whole recruiting process for you?

Just certain teams that I haven’t gotten offers from in the beginning but now have started coming after me. Like Georgia just came into the picture.

Is there one school you didn’t see being a favorite early on that’s really impressed you?

Texas Tech, them and Rutgers. They were recruiting me the hardest and they stayed with me through the whole process and they’re still with me now.

You grew up a Miami fan. Where to they stand?

They’re pretty even with everyone else.

Your receiving corps is nicknamed the Dog Team and each one of you guys has a nickname. Who has the best nickname?

I think I like Charles Booth with “Booth Smooth.†Either that or “Freak Show,†which is mine. I like mine because I earned that name.

What makes Jefferson different this year?

It’s just a team thing. There’s a camaraderie here and a togetherness. We’re one team. Playing with these boys day in and day out, it’s unforgettable. It’s great.

After going to the state semis last year, would anything less than a state title be a disappointment?

Yeah it would. It would. That’s the goal man. That’s the only goal I have. I don’t care about stats or anything. I care about a state championship.

How much do you guys still think about that night you lost in Pensacola to end last season?

It was so cold that night, and during the game, I didn’t even feel the cold, but after that came, that loss was just so tough. It’s a big motivation. It’s my biggest motivation, that and C.J. Mills. It gives me the motivation to do my best day in and day out.

-- EDUARDO A ENCINA  (eencina@sptimes.com; Twitter: @EddieHometeam)

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/recruiting-q-jefferson-wr-andre-davis/6944/

One of the WR's I already know i forgot is potential JUCO transfer from Coffeyville, KS, Quinton Patton. USF offered him at the end of Sept and we are his only Div 1 offer to date. Having a good season so far and here are his personal stats as published by Rivals

* Ht:6'0"

* Wt:195 lbs

* 40:4.45 secs

* Class:2011 (Junior College - Dec Grad)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Quinton-Patton-114188

Like both Jeune and Carradine he comes from the widely respected Jayhawk conference. His JUCO team  is ranked no. 8 in the country. He has 28 Rec through 7 games for 457 yards. Because of the lack of depth currently at WR he may get a long look.

I want to add Bryan Holmes from Union County to my Wide receivers list. Not much to report on him lately but at last count he has USF at the "top of his list" He is 3-stars with a scout grade 78 on ESPN. 2-Stars on Scout and runs a 4.48 40 according to his UnderArmour score.

Scout.com: Union County Speedster Has USF at the Top

Aug 3, 2010 ... Union County prospect Bryan Holmes is a 5'11-175 pound wide receiver with plenty of speed. So far the speedster has flown somewhat under the ...

southflorida.scout.com/2/988858.html

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

As far as #s, we need 2 more WRs (3 would be better), 2 DL and 2 CB.  Given the # of scholarships already committed for next season this may not be doable.

• Content Count:  36

Well as in every year there will always be a few players who our academic committee rejects but so far from what I have read there might not be very many rejections. Most of these kids are on track to graduate (some early) and they have solid GPA's...You also have to add to the list WR Jamaal Montague who will be coming in the spring. So really there may only be room for a couple more WR's...

• Content Count:  143

I think we'll get two WR's for sure, three is Davis waits til Jan.  Mutt is under the radar bigtime as well as Montague coming in.  That's two big time numbers guys who caught a slew of balls in HS.

Need bigs on the D-LINE.  DT's mostly and DE's.  Holtz is sort of showing his cards with the Mitchell position change (as if we already didn't know).  I'm not so sure that T-Rex doesn't go back to CB next year.

Archived