• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Times: Bulls' offensive effectiveness tied to B.J. Daniels' decisionmaking

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Remember one thing everyone. The first step to success is correcting what is broken. Here we have a new system in which BJ did not run during the spring effectively, (due to injury)evidently didn't learn in summer drills, and is still having a hard time learning from mistakes made in every game this year. It is not bj daniels fault he can't understand a system. It is coaching. When a coach sees that a player needs more understanding of the system, don't throw him to the wolves and get O.J.T! Work with him in practice and elevate someone else who understands the system. Landi is the obvious choice here. I can't understand why Holtz doesn't use Landi until BJ is ready. We have others who we can train at WR. Landi is our answer here in my O. He has moved the O many times when we have seen him work. Put him in coach, he's ready to play...TODAY!!!  

We don't have others to train at WR.  If so who?

Landi has moved the O when exactly?  

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I honestly don't pay homage to anybody's jock.

the skill set for a coach and player are 2 completely different things.

I question the coach's basic game strategy decisions. Nothing else. Do you know why poker is so popular on tv? it's because ordinary guys can beat the pros and it's because of their basic game strategy.

I'm obviously not a better coach than Holtz or his staff. there is far more to coaching than basic game strategy but it doesn't take a game theory genius to understand basic game strategy .

Ordinary guys can't beat Michael Jordan in a game of one on one. They don't have the athletic ability . I'm not saying Daniels is great but you have to have some skill to be a BCS starting QB and I'm willing to bet no one on here has those abilities.

I think it's sad that you feel you have the right to criticize a kid because he gets a free education.

The jock comment was hyperbolic and I never said "you" as in you personally.  I'll rephrase, throw the game winning TD and all is well...for a week. Throw a pick to lose the game and the second string QB is the best player on the team.  Again, I'm sure that's not how you feel personally, but the ebb and flow of emotion in the world of sports is extreme.  It's magnified for quarterbacks.

I think I get where you're going with the poker thing, but coaching football is to poker as beavers are to battleships.  Football strategy has so many more moving parts the two are, in my opinion, incomparable, even at the basic strategy level.  In the case of USF specifically, I believe preparing for long term success vs. preparing for short term success comes in to play and adds another layer of complexity to something that is already complex.  We may just have to agree to disagree on this point.

If I were to go out and take snaps that doesn't make me a BCS level QB.  That simply means I'm the guy taking the snaps.  Being a BCS QB and being a BCS level QB are different things.  I haven't seen Daniels play consistently enough for me to say "Yes, this guy is a solid QB."  Other people think otherwise.  That's fine.  Nobody is asking any of us anyway.

I never said I felt his scholarship gave me the right to criticize him.  I said there are those that feel that way, just as Holtz' salary makes you feel he should be criticized more harshly.  That said, I feel both are open to criticism and it has nothing to do with compensation.  They both agreed to do a high profile job.  They both knew the scrutiny that came with the job.  They can both quit any time they like.  As far as I've read no one has said that Holtz or Daniels is a bad person.  The critique has been directed at the job they are doing.  That's fair.

I wasn't attacking you personally, sorry if it came off that way.

This whole thread could be reduced to this one post.  But then again, it would lose a lot of its drama.

• Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

This whole, "you couldn't do any better, so you can't criticize" crap is annoying.  I'm a structural engineer.  If a building I designed collapsed due to a bad design, anyone out there could say, "the engineer screwed up", not only those that could have done better.

For my part, I wouldn't say that about an engineer if he was asked to build a building out of straw.

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Question:  How do you keep BJ Daniels from throwing 3 INT's tonight?

Answer:  Bench him after he throws the first two.  8-)

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

This whole, "you couldn't do any better, so you can't criticize" crap is annoying.  I'm a structural engineer.  If a building I designed collapsed due to a bad design, anyone out there could say, "the engineer screwed up", not only those that could have done better.

For my part, I wouldn't say that about an engineer if he was asked to build a building out of straw.

Way to screw up my analogy. :D

My point is a QB has certain expectations that go along with his job description and are known to most people.  Throwing the ball to the guys wearing the same uniform as you are is one of them.

Archived