• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: USF struggles just part of rebuilding process

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

"Everybody is quick to say, 'Why don't you change quarterbacks?'" Holtz said. "If I had two junior quarterbacks, I would."

Well, he doesn't.

I think that statement there can answer everyone that is ******** about replacing Daniels.

Skip from that one statement acknowledges that he WOULD replace Daniels IF HE COULD

Obviously Skip has seen from practice that any alternates aren't up to speed yet

Skip is a dummy EVELD IS THE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!11!!!one!!!!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

I don't disagree with the premise of the article that we have to be patient, but the article contained a lot of things that are either inaccurate or baffling. Here are some of the quotes:

"Quarterback B.J. Daniels is making the kind of mistakes that you'd expect from a sophomore in a new system"

"Holtz and his staff had about a week to recruit after he was signed to replace Jim Leavitt"

"Holtz is trying to rebuild a program, not just a build a team"

BJ Daniels is making the type of mistakes that you wouldn't expect of any QB no matter the level of experience. Coach Holtz had more like about 2 and 1/2 weeks to recruit ( granted not much time but statement is false). Also program needed to be renovated and improved on, not rebuild. People keep acting like we were a horrible team over the last 5 years; we were definitely not.

That said Holtz is a talented coach and has what it takes to have success here. I believe that with the right adjustments we can even get some more wins this year. Success is however not guaranteed; not even 5 years from now.

• Content Count:  7,890

The rebuilding is mainly in getting back on the good side of the HS coaches in the area. JL was an complete ass to most of the coaches here.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't disagree with the premise of the article that we have to be patient, but the article contained a lot of things that are either inaccurate or baffling. Here are some of the quotes:

"Quarterback B.J. Daniels is making the kind of mistakes that you'd expect from a sophomore in a new system"

"Holtz and his staff had about a week to recruit after he was signed to replace Jim Leavitt"

BJ Daniels is making the type of mistakes that you wouldn't expect of any QB no matter the level of experience. Coach Holtz had more like about 2 and 1/2 weeks to recruit ( granted not much time but statement is false). Also program needed to be renovated and improved on, not rebuild. People keep acting like we were a horrible team over the last 5 years; we were definitely not.

That said Holtz is a talented coach and has what it takes to have success here. I believe that with the right adjustments we can even get some more wins this year. Success is however not guaranteed; not even 5 years from now.

Honestly the difference in what you can do effectively in a week or 2 & 1/2 weeks isn't much.  Other than the kids he and the staff were on at ECU he had to try to establish relationships with Kids that he had probably never contacted before.  Recruiting is all about relationships and comfort level when you don't have a "big name" to fall back on.  An extra week and 1/2 to try to build a relationship with players from scratch isn't really making much difference.  This isn't a Charlie strong situation where you have a coach from a BCS program that has been in contact with some of these kids now taking over a program, this is a non BCS coach who now has to try to establish new relationships with a much better talent pool and a program that is in turmoil with the whole Slapgate Saga.  If you just want to point out it's inaccurate that's fine, if you think he should have done much better than he did given the circumstances, i would say you really don't know much about recruiting.  Going to a program that appears to be in crisis, who appears to be switching systems, and playing for coaches you basically know squat about isn't very appealing to many recruits, especially those with good options still on the table at that point in the recruiting process.   

• Content Count:  1,027

Honestly the difference in what you can do effectively in a week or 2 & 1/2 weeks isn't much.  Other than the kids he and the staff were on at ECU he had to try to establish relationships with Kids that he had probably never contacted before.  Recruiting is all about relationships and comfort level when you don't have a "big name" to fall back on.  An extra week and 1/2 to try to build a relationship with players from scratch isn't really making much difference.  This isn't a Charlie strong situation where you have a coach from a BCS program that has been in contact with some of these kids now taking over a program, this is a non BCS coach who now has to try to establish new relationships with a much better talent pool and a program that is in turmoil with the whole Slapgate Saga.  If you just want to point out it's inaccurate that's fine, if you think he should have done much better than he did given the circumstances, i would say you really don't know much about recruiting.  Going to a program that appears to be in crisis, who appears to be switching systems, and playing for coaches you basically know squat about isn't very appealing to many recruits, especially those with good options still on the table at that point in the recruiting process.   

We're in Florida.  None of that matters, or so I've heard.

No just pointing out that what he said in the article was inaccurate. I agree with you that Coach Holtz did an ok job in recruiting taking into consideration the circumstances.

• Content Count:  4,501

Holtz didn't really do any recruiting.  All he did was to try hang on to the recruits that had already commited.  Got a couple of nice transfers but that was Franks doing.  Short answer is Holtz has his players now - do the best he can and lets hope for improvements.

Holtz didn't really do any recruiting.  All he did was to try hang on to the recruits that had already commited.  Got a couple of nice transfers but that was Franks doing.  Short answer is Holtz has his players now - do the best he can and lets hope for improvements.

Coach Holtz was able to secure some new commitments after he took over including Terrence Mitchell, Gunsby, Welch, the big lineman from NJ whose name is escaping me right now, and a few others..

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Coach Holtz was able to secure some new commitments after he took over including Terrence Mitchell, Gunsby, Welch, the big lineman from NJ whose name is escaping me right now, and a few others..

Jake Kaufman.  We were on him before the coaching change.  Also the LB Hans Louis from down south.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Were we 2-10 last year?  I missed it.

Lets face it folks, even before "the incident" guys like Fennelly and Henderson wanted Leavitt fired.  That whole article about the victory was won when Leavitt was not on the field and Holtz wanting to give a player a hug was lame. While guys like me wanted a pro style and not a gimmick offense, I kind of could see why they ran the spread. I was tired of the roughing penalties but wondered if the aggressiveness gave our guys an  edge (like the old Oakland Raiders)   Tanking in the middle of the season? Who did USF lose to that the Bulls were so much better than? Our team is lucky to be one deep much less 2 or 3 deep at each position. I also wondered if change would even bring an upgrade. Who would they be able to entice?  Its not like Saben or Spurrier or (insert your favorite well known coach) were coming here.  People still confuse USF with UCF and our name brand is probably not much better than a lot of CUSA schools to the casual observer.  I at times was aggrevated about what was going on but I realized that our team does not have the advantages that some programs have (we are not even the most popular program in Tampa, for example). Meanwhile, those Tribune guys hated Leavitt like poison and probably do not mind that USF football is: :flush

Very sensible post.

Archived