• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Andre Hall decides to stay at USF!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

USF's Hall Decides To Stay In School

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Jan 4, 2005

TAMPA - Vowing to work even harder next season and improve his draft status, South Florida running back Andre Hall said Monday he will return for his senior season.

Hall considered entering the NFL Draft a year early after rushing for a school-record 1,357 yards, the sixth-best total in Conference USA history, as a junior. However, after talking with his family, Coach Jim Leavitt and running backs coach Carl Franks, Hall decided to remain at USF.

``I put in my mind I really wanted to come back,'' Hall said. ``I want to work harder so I can go in the first round next year. I'm going to work harder. I'm aiming high. I'm aiming to be a Heisman candidate.''

Hall said the NFL Draft's depth at running back, including Texas' Cedric Benson, Cal's J.J. Arrington, Auburn's Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown, Wisconsin's Anthony Davis, Oklahoma State's Vernand Morency and Florida's Ciatrick Fason, was a factor.

``With so many running backs coming out right now - it's not that I'm afraid of the competition - I just decided to stay another year, enjoy my college years,'' Hall said. ``I really want to get my [social science] degree.

``I also gave my word to Coach Leavitt that I'd be here for two years [after coming to USF from Garden City (Kan.) Community College] and I'm keeping my word.''

Hall was the nation's 10th- leading rusher and his 6.46 yards per carry average was fourth-best.

Hall made his decision even before receiving feedback from the NFL's Draft Advisory Council, which evaluates players' potential draft position.

``I'm sure this is the best decision for Andre and his family,'' Franks said. ``I think he will increase his [draft] position by staying another year. It just made sense for him to return.''

For motivation, Hall said he watched ``every bowl game'' on TV the past few weeks.

``I don't want to watch any next year,'' Hall said. ``I want to play in one. I just want to win next year. I want to make sure I'm a leader on the field. We all have to be family. I want to gain the guys' trust.''

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBZIT9KJ3E.html

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

geez i hope some of the recruits come in with this same kind of passion, watching this guy on the sidelines last year was almost as exciting as watching him on the field

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

Now THAT is some good news. And I think a smart move for Hall as well.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Now, if we can just keep him from playing BASKETBALL, he should stay healthy!  ;D

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Hope the OL does a good job for him next year.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Wow this off season has been better than the regular season, obviously the move to the Big East, then the Miami series, followed by the possibility of the UNC series, now this!!  Can it get any better?  I submit that it cannot!

As for the Heisman, I really think with the addition of Miami to our schedule, if he has a good showing in that game, and puts up similar numbers to last season he has a legitimate shot at being a finalist being our strength of schedule or lack thereof will no longer be a valid argument against him.  I think our schedule next year will be at least as tough as USC's schedule this season.  

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

He will have to break 2000 yards and we beat UM for him to be a finalist. One back broke 2000 this year I thought and was just an afterthought.

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

2005 starting off on a good note....now let's hype him for the Heisman.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

easy call

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Guess I'll have to change my banner now.