• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DE Ricardo Williams- Homestead

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Ricardo carries 3 stars from Rivals and ESPN. No. 93 in FL preaseason ranking on ESPN. This article makes an important point he has FSU in his top three but they may not have room for him. Great big frame, he is listed as 6-5 at  215 lbs. Lots of room to grow. Sure would be nice to see a big DE in this recruiting class.

DE Ricardo Williams names top 3

Josh Newberg, Staff Writer

10/4/2010

Ricardo Williams out of Homestead High School is having an excellent senior season. He’s racked up 9 sacks in 5 games and shown good speed and quickness off the line. At 6-foot-5, 215-pounds interest in Williams is beginning to heat up.

“Right now I’m real high on Oregon, FSU, UNC,†said Williams.

Williams has over 20 total offer including Texas Tech, USF, Ole Miss, Tennessee and UCF.

“I regulary talk with Coach (James) Coley at FSU, Coach (Charlie) Williams at UNC and coach (Gary) Campbell at Oregon. I’m also hearing from Ole Miss and USF, but I haven’t talked to them in a little while.â€

This weekend Williams plans on visiting the UM/FSU game. Williams hasn’t set up any official visits, but he does have an idea of where he wants to go.

“I look forward to visiting Oregon pretty soon. They’ll probably be my first visit. I’m also interested in Ole Miss and I’d like to visit them as well.â€

When it comes to in-state visits, Williams says he’ll likely take an official visit to FSU.

“Its almost 8 hours away so I’ll probably use an official visit with FSU. I’m not sure about USF and UCF, I might try to make it to a game this season and take an unofficial.â€

Williams was offered by the FSU staff in the spring. However, with the commitment of Giorgio Newberry and the likeliness of landing Ray Drew, Jermauria Rasco or even Aaron Lynch, it’s questionable whether or not the Noles will have a spot for Williams

http://floridastate.247sports.com/Article/DE-Ricardo-Williams-names-top-3-2154

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

So, then he's headed to North Carolina or Oregon. He never really says anything about USF to make you think he's coming here.

He has an offer from us, but it may hard for some to imagine that he would turn down such fine institutions like UNC and Oregon. UNC with a boatload of sanctions coming up and Oregon where no one he knows would ever get to see him play. I guess the fact that he says  he is willing to take an unofficial here doesn't indicate interest?

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I can't recall a single kid USF has signed who did not take an official visit the last 5-6 years and I would venture to guess that the number of kids signed, by any school in the country, (not just committed) who did not take an official visit would be near zero.

I can't recall a single kid USF has signed who did not take an official visit the last 5-6 years and I would venture to guess that the number of kids signed, by any school in the country, (not just committed) who did not take an official visit would be near zero.

There are a bunch of them, both here and elsewhere. Sorry that you can't remember. A lot of the local kids don't have to take an official because there aren't any lodging or travel requirements. I be REAL interested to see any documentation that backs up this premise.

As the naysayers lineup to shoot down potential prospects you might want to fondly recall this article.

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2010/1/15/960326/tampa-fl-hillsborough-cb-terrence

It ain't over till the fax lady sings.

There are a bunch of them, both here and elsewhere. Sorry that you can't remember. A lot of the local kids don't have to take an official because there aren't any lodging or travel requirements. I be REAL interested to see any documentation that backs up this premise.

I did give it some thought after my original post, and before I read yours, and came up with Josh Bellamy and Kevin Williams who were juco kids that Leavitt had been on for years and who each signed with USF 2, maybe 3, times and I don't recall if they took an official every time they signed.

As for your statement that local kids do not need an official because of locality that's silly.  There is a huge difference between an unofficial and an official visit.  If you're USF you want every chance to "wine-and-dine" the players and compete on an even footing with other schools' official visits. 

And for "there are a bunch of them" name 5 ever from USF.  It doesn't happen with anything of the regularity you imply it does.

As the naysayers lineup to shoot down potential prospects you might want to fondly recall this article.

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2010/1/15/960326/tampa-fl-hillsborough-cb-terrence

It ain't over till the fax lady sings.

Who is shooting down prospects?  Saying that a kid is not interested, or has little interest is not shooting a kid down.  The article you cited has a kid saying he may take an unofficial to USF and UCF but lists 3 other schools he wants to officially visit.  Also it says he has not heard from USF in a while.  Not shooting him down to say that it looks bleak for USF.  Not insurmountable, but bleak.

Sanjay, I can name 5 from this year alone. Do you realize that the NCAA forbids Official visits before September 1 of the players Senior year. So all of this years commits who gave that indication before September 1 did so after only conducting unofficial visits. Granted I am sure that some if not all will eventually take an official sometime but they committed before they had done so. So would you run down our chances for next years players who sign in the spring time? Think about it.

<p> There are also other reasons, which apply in this case. He said clearly in the article that he was taking an official to FSU because "“Its almost 8 hours away so I’ll probably use an official visit with FSU". It had to do with Driving time and expenses. He is limited to 5  officials so he won't use them on teams that are closer to home, like USF!!!

Sanjay, I can name 5 from this year alone. Do you realize that the NCAA forbids Official visits before September 1 of the players Senior year. So all of this years commits who gave that indication before September 1 did so after only conducting unofficial visits. Granted I am sure that some if not all will eventually take an official sometime but they committed before they had done so. So would you run down our chances for next years players who sign in the spring time? Think about it.

<p> There are also other reasons, which apply in this case. He said clearly in the article that he was taking an official to FSU because "“Its almost 8 hours away so I’ll probably use an official visit with FSU". It had to do with Driving time and expenses. He is limited to 5  officials so he won't use them on teams that are closer to home, like USF!!!

Read my first post in this thread Bill.  I said signed, not just committed.  Lots of kids commit site unseen to schools, but signing a LOI is a much different deal.  Name 5 kids who have signed with USF without ever taking an official visit.

Archived