• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF is Big Game Hunting at the QB position...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

I just wish there was more PRESS That he's going to be visiting, so we could capitalize on it.

Aside from the original Rivals "headline" I only saw one other place where it said we were being considered by him, by doing a search on Google News:

Two of state's top players commit

GatorBait.net (subscription), FL - Jan 2, 2005

... top dual-threat quarterback Ryan Perrilloux, who is committed to Texas, but recently said is also considering LSU, Miami, Florida State and South Florida. ...

http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=374079

Of course, I couldn't read any more of that article either, but someone who subscribes might want to read it for themselves.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

When are some of these top recruits going to realize that if they all commit to the same school they can't all play, so going with a school like USF is a better option in some cases.

Perfect example is FSU, Chris Rix was a 4 year starter there.  But during that 4 years they have brought in at least 2 freshman QB's that were ranked somewhere in the top 15 in the country.  So during the time of Chris Rix they have recruited around 8 blue chip type QB's and out of that 8 maybe 2 will ever actually play for FSU at some point in thier career, the rest will just transfer and lose eligability, Like Midgett at Florida, Denson at Auburn, Berlin I believe too...didnt he originally sign at Florida and Xfer to Miami?  And we will continue to see this, just look at the 2 QB's we tried to land last year, this will most likely be thier fate as well, Ingram is stuck behing Chris Leak for at least 2 more years, and once he does graduate there is a good chance that he still wont get to play because a program like Florida much like FSU as mentioned above lands big time talent every year, so they may have an heir apparent to Leak that they recruit to take his place and once again a great QB with a lot of potential is stuck riding the bench at a big program.  And then theres Brent Schaeffer at Tennessee, He and Ainge were both freshman last year, and Ainge won the starting job, so the only thing he can hope for is that Ainge gets a career ending injury and maybe then he will get a chance to start again.  

And this isnt just a QB thing either, it happens at ever position it Happened to the Louisville RB Shelton, who originally signed with FSU I believe, and then transferred because he saw he would get little to no playing time.  And this can be said for almost every single recruiting class for nearly every major program in the country.  They have talent that is riding the bench, talent that at a program like ours, or Conneticut, or maybe even UCF, they could be a stand out starter and possibly go to the NFL one day.  I think J.R. Reed is a perfect example.  I cannot remember who else he was recruited by, but say he was recruited by FSU and Miami and he signed with one of them, he would have rode the bench for 3 years, and as a senior maybe got a little playing time.  And then he would have graduated an FSU alum and move on, rather than Playing for the Eagles with at least a half a dozen future Hall of Famers in the Playoffs.

Does anyone know what kind of pitch CJL and the coaching staff give to potential recruits.  I know that taking them to Ray Jay is very impressive, and now with our Athletic Facility that will be a huuuge help.  But do they try to explain to the kids in hopefully a more coherant way than I did above the point I was trying to make?  

I mean if it were me, part of my recruiting would be to get these kids in a classroom, and using pie charts, graphs and really whatever means possible to try and drive home these points.  Because when you explain it well it really does make sense to come to a program like ours, maybe its just that the kids never looked at it in that way before?  And now with us moving into the Big East.  We, believe it or not due to the level of competition in the  SEC and ACC actually have as much if not a better chance to get into a BCS bowl then the "Big 3" in Florida.

Anyway, I have rambled on enough, but if there are any former players that were recruited by CJL that monitor the board.  I would just be curious to know a little more about the recruiting process, I think it would be interesting to know exactly what goes on and what kind of pitch CJL gives recruits.  So if you could give me a little insight I would appreciate it.

According to the free blurb on the USFBullseye.com Rivals boad there will be about 10 recruits visiting this weekend and HALF of them are ALREADY committed to other schools. I'm sure there will be many top prospects who will we try to SWAY one way or another.

Previously Committed Dominate Weekend Visits  

by Dave Glaser and C.T. Gallen

In what might best be called "Make 'em Waver Weekend," USF will host the first of three weeks filled with important official campus visits beginning this Friday. And although the numbers are – as is customary – subject to change at this time of year, the Bulls expect to entertain around 10 prospects, with at least half of those players already verbally committed to other BCS programs . . . [more]

http://usf.rivals.com/default.asp

All of the points you made will be covered by USF Coaches and USF Players over the weekend.

Perhaps, we will convince some of them to decommit and commit to USF.

Every recruit is different and some things are more important than others to them.

Sometimes it's just a matter of being more COMFORTABLE with a particular school.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Perrilloux plays basketball too

logo.gif

East St. John takes control

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

By Lori Lyons

Staff writer

Most of the fans who went to Tuesday night's District 6-5A matchup between East St. John and Destrehan probably were expecting to see a fast-paced, run-and-shoot basketball game. That's not what happened.

Each team attempted to control the other by controlling the tempo. But East St. John shot better to take a 55-47 victory at East St. John.

Destrehan had been averaging 78 points per game. But the Wildcats picked the wrong night to go cold. They shot 21 percent in the first quarter and 30 in the second, but never better than 35 percent for the game. They also went 3-for-9 at the free-throw line.

"You can't shoot like that and expect to win," Destrehan coach Joe Schick said. "I thought we did a good job defensively. You hold a team like East St. John to 55 points, you expect to win. We just didn't play well on offense."

Ryan Perrilloux scored a game-high 16 points and had six rebounds and a steal for the Wildcats (18-7, 3-2). Jamall Breaux added 10 points.

"Rebounding and defense were the difference," Perrilloux said. "The team that played the best defense won. It wasn't a shooting game. Our best shooters got like one 3-pointer all night. We just ran our offense and didn't let up."

"Their strength is their speed and our strength is our size," East St. John coach Charles Julien said. "We slowed down a lot tonight, but we executed and played good defense."

Destrehan (16-7, 3-1) was led by Dennis Ellsworth with 14 points and Brandon Rogers scored 10.

. . . . . . .

Lori Lyons can be reached at llyons@timespicayune.com or (985) 652-0953.

Ryan Perrilloux

Are you kidding, Ryan was named USA Today POY for the HS All-American team.  Two major recruiting guru's have him as the #1 QB (Lemming- who's a tool, and Garvin-who's a UT fool).  The worst ranking Ryan has had is like 14th athlete overall, #2 QB in the nation (just behind Marc Sanchez), and #1 athletic QB in the nation.

Think Vincent Young at UT.  That good.  

He just received another top award:

Perrilloux garners national honor

Advocate staff report

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- East St. John quarterback Ryan Perrilloux will add another national honor to his trophy case -- National High School Offensive Player of the Year from the Touchdown Club of Columbus.

Perrilloux will be honored at the Touchdown Club's 50th All Sports Awards dinner on Feb. 5 at the PromoWest Pavallion. Several college players, including Southern California's Reggie Bush, will also be honored.

Last year's Offensive Player of the Year winner was current Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson.

Defensive back Derrick Williams of Eleanor Roosevelt High in Greenbelt, Md., received the Defensive Player of the Year honor.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/010605/spo_ryan001.shtml