• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gator Losses at the Swamp

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Actually, I checked, and they did beat Miami at home too in that span. Still, their home schedule over that time isn't as impressive as you might think, even being in the SEC.

Yep. Over the last 6 years, we've played a lot more of our ranked opponents on the road or at neutral sites than at home.

That probably makes our overall record a bit more impressive than our home record.

Except that you often lose on the road/neutral sites to ranked opponents.

With five regular season losses (including one in the SEC title game) in the past four years, I don't think Florida "often loses" to anybody.

Last year the only time you went on the road during the regular season was to play your regular SEC patsies.

Maybe if your atheltic director was not such a "female body part located between the legs" than maybe your team would have experience playing top ranked teams on the road.

I'm of two minds here. For one thing, while obviously the conference schedule is what's most important, big out-of-conference games often have a special atmosphere, and it's a lot of fun as a fan. The stakes are higher too - if USF had lost to Auburn in 2007, for instance, there would be no redemption. It can be intense and fun, and I think Gator fans are missing out, no matter what their conference slate includes.

That said, I would love for USF to be in a position to play seven home games and only leave the state for conference road games if it wanted. I would just also hope they actually did schedule a big out-of-conference game once in a while despite the privilege.

Until then, enjoy videos of Tim Teabag crying like a little school girl.

Or the two BCS and SEC titles they won while he was on the team...

I don't mean to sound like a Gator sympathizer, as I want USF to win this game more than I've ever wanted them to win any other game. And I'm all for making fun of the Gators and Tebow. But come on, don't be stupid and act like the Gators have been chumps for the past five years, if for no other reason than because you're only going to look stupid when you try and brag about a huge win if USF pulls it off, just days after talking like the Gators were nothing special. It can't be both.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  130
  • Days Won:  0

Actually, I checked, and they did beat Miami at home too in that span. Still, their home schedule over that time isn't as impressive as you might think, even being in the SEC.

Yep. Over the last 6 years, we've played a lot more of our ranked opponents on the road or at neutral sites than at home.

That probably makes our overall record a bit more impressive than our home record.

Except that you often lose on the road/neutral sites to ranked opponents.  Last year the only time you went on the road during the regular season was to play your regular SEC patsies.  You then went on the road to a "neutral site" for the SEC Championship and Alabama ground you up into Wally Gator burgers. 

Maybe if your atheltic director was not such a "female body part located between the legs" than maybe your team would have experience playing top ranked teams on the road.

Until then, enjoy videos of Tim Teabag crying like a little school girl.

Last year, we did play @ #17 LSU... but don't let facts get in the way.

Over the last 6 years, Florida has played 27 ranked opponents - 10 of which finished in the top 10.

I have no problem comparing our schedule - that regularly finishes in the top 5 in the country - to most programs.

I'm of two minds here. For one thing, while obviously the conference schedule is what's most important, big out-of-conference games often have a special atmosphere, and it's a lot of fun as a fan. The stakes are higher too - if USF had lost to Auburn in 2007, for instance, there would be no redemption. It can be intense and fun, and I think Gator fans are missing out, no matter what their conference slate includes.

That said, I would love for USF to be in a position to play seven home games and only leave the state for conference road games if it wanted. I would just also hope they actually did schedule a big out-of-conference game once in a while despite the privilege.

I can agree with that. Those once in a decade or 2 matchups are special.

Florida, is in part limited by our "permanent" schedule... but that's also part of what makes it so great for Gator fans.

We have a ton of "big" rivals that we play every year: FSU, UGA, UT, and LSU. And roughly every other year, we play Bama or Auburn for our change of flavor game (Auburn is still a big rival but we can't play them every year). And we've played Miami a bit too lately.

We have a lot of intensity on the schedule, but most of it is intensity with a history.

Not the same as a schedule that has a lot of variety, but a lot of Gator fans love it.

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

Last six season - 3 losses by a combined 7 points.

2008 - Ole Miss 30-31

2007 - Auburn 17-20

2004 - LSU 21-24

Auburn, the year we beat them.

• Content Count:  10,565

Over the last 6 years, Florida has played 27 ranked opponents - 10 of which finished in the top 10.

Out of curiousity, how many of those games, excluding bowl games, were against OOC opponents?

Out of curiousity, how many of those games, excluding bowl games, were against OOC opponents?

• Content Count:  115

Florida routinely finishes in the top 5 of the football programs that make the most money and finish in the black.  Some of that has to do with home games.  Back in the day, Florida dropped Miami from the schedule.  The argument has gone back and forth...due to money, due to their inability to beat Miami at the time.  Probably some of both and more of the latter. 

USF has had to go on the road to face most big teams because your program is 13 YEARS OLD. Imagine that...an upstart program from the state of Florida trying to make a name for themselves and escape the shadow of 3 other in-state schools that have a combined 10 national titles between them and have played in many other title games.  It's no surprise that you would play more ranked opponents on the road than a team that has won 3 titles in the last 14 years. 

Florida isn't the only big program in the country that plays more big games at their home.  The fact of the matter is also that Florida plays in the toughest conference in the country.  So, they won't always feel obligated to schedule one or two roadies to appease critics they don't care about.

You can make the "Tebow crying" comment all you want.  He won a Heisman and two SEC/NC championships and 3 BCS bowl games altogether...one against the champion of your conference last year.  Comparing our two programs is like apples and oranges. 

And yes, Jeremy Foley may not schedule those hard road FB games.  And call him a female body part if you wish.  But, save for the Zook hire 9 years ago, the guy has employed coaches that have won 3 titles in football, 2 in basketball, appearances in the CWS and countless other sports titles that routinely put Florida in the top 5/10 of the Directors' Cup standings.  So, suffice it to say...we'll leave the logistics up to him.

I applaud what you guys have done in such a short time and if you come in a give Florida a good game and manage to win...I'll be here first thing Monday morning to congratulate all of you on the win. 

• Content Count:  99

"UF ***** they never beat a ranked OOC opponent. Who cares if they beat LSU, UGA, Tenn, Bama, USC, Arky? All those teams don't count because they are Conf opponents."

I hate this argument against UF's schedule. They play lots of great teams in the SEC and FSU every year. Their schedule doesn't need another top notch OOC opponent to validate it.

I'm all for railing on the gators, but some of you are being delusional homers.

• Content Count:  3,475

USF has had to go on the road to face most big teams because your program is 13 YEARS OLD. Imagine that...an upstart program from the state of Florida trying to make a name for themselves and escape the shadow of 3 other in-state schools that have a combined 10 national titles between them and have played in many other title games.  It's no surprise that you would play more ranked opponents on the road than a team that has won 3 titles in the last 14 years. 

Florida isn't the only big program in the country that plays more big games at their home.  The fact of the matter is also that Florida plays in the toughest conference in the country.  So, they won't always feel obligated to schedule one or two roadies to appease critics they don't care about.

There are plenty more established teams that still travel for nonconference games. Just this weekend, we're seeing Penn State/Alabama, Oklahoma/Florida State, Miami/Ohio State... USC traveled all the way to the East Coast a few years ago to play freaking Virginia, one of the worst BCS conference teams. They also played Arkansas, Ohio State, etc. Oklahoma will travel to Cincinnati this year, Pitt will host Miami, Auburn recently had a home-and-home with West Virginia, and LSU hosts WVU later this year in the first leg of a home-and-home. LSU also played UNC at home this year with a return trip planned for later.

Don't act like Florida is the norm, they aren't. No team immediately comes to mind that has both been an elite program AND refuses to play tough non-conference foes the way Florida does. The SEC is not what it was a few years ago. It's still good, but it's not so much better than the other BCS conferences that it's going to make up for it forever. Florida's offense looks anemic. LSU struggled with a depleted North Carolina team. Ole Miss lost at home to an FCS school. South Carolina doesn't look so hot. Alabama will probably be great again, but beyond the Tide everyone else in the SEC has major question marks.

And yes, Jeremy Foley may not schedule those hard road FB games.  And call him a female body part if you wish.  But, save for the Zook hire 9 years ago, the guy has employed coaches that have won 3 titles in football, 2 in basketball, appearances in the CWS and countless other sports titles that routinely put Florida in the top 5/10 of the Directors' Cup standings.  So, suffice it to say...we'll leave the logistics up to him.

I agree, Foley has earned his great reputation.

• Content Count:  10,565

"UF sucks they never beat a ranked OOC opponent. Who cares if they beat LSU, UGA, Tenn, Bama, USC, Arky? All those teams don't count because they are Conf opponents."

I hate this argument against UF's schedule. They play lots of great teams in the SEC and FSU every year. Their schedule doesn't need a top notch OOC opponent to validate it.

I'm all for railing on the gators, but some of you are being delusional homers.

I asked an honest question to him because I figured he'd know the answer.

Archived