• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ramik Wilson?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  44
  • Days Won:  0

I was reading through an ESPN recruiting mailbag and i noticed something about USF targets Ramik Wilson and Gionni Paul. The article states something happened between Ramik and the school that left a bad taste in his mouth about the program and that he will most likely not  consider USF as an option. Does anyone have any insight to what happened? I for one really like Ramik and was excited about the prospect of him coming here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=5503729

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Looks like we are out of the running for Ramik.

via Twitter

Josh Newberg  joshnewberg

LB Ramik Wilson tells me he's got 4 teams on top right now -- Purdue, Texas Tech, Georgia and Arkansas. Arkansas is going after him hardest

• Content Count:  574

If I am remembering correctly here, Ramik was upset that USF was so late to offer him.  They kept telling him they wanted to evaluate him further before making an offer.  In the meantime he was getting flooded with offers and USF just kept "evaluating" him.  Finally they offer and he was like uh yeah...ok  ::)

Very similar thing with local WR stud Rueben Gonzalez.  We offered him way late.

This has been a common theme in this year's recruiting class.  Our staff and especially Skip Holtz are talking about building a fence around Tampa and keeping the local talent home, etc...but for some reason they are offering the local kids way late.  We aren't UF or Texas or USC where we can just throw our offer out at the last minute and get the kid to jump despite other schools having built a relationship with them for well over a year.

A lot of local coaches and players are complaining about it this year.  And look at our commits. There are none from Hillsborough or Pinellas.  Its almost like the are taking the local kids for granted. Its going to bite us big time too.  A lot of the local kids we had a great shot at but waited forever to offer...are going places like Rutgers and Cincy and are recruiting their teammates up there. So its a double whammy. We don't get them and they are going to a conferance rival and are going to play against us with a big chip on their shoulder.  "USF thinks they are too good for me, I'll show them."

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

If I am remembering correctly here, Ramik was upset that USF was so late to offer him.  They kept telling him they wanted to evaluate him further before making an offer.  In the meantime he was getting flooded with offers and USF just kept "evaluating" him.  Finally they offer and he was like uh yeah...ok  ::)

Very similar thing with local WR stud Rueben Gonzalez.  We offered him way late.

This has been a common theme in this year's recruiting class.  Our staff and especially Skip Holtz are talking about building a fence around Tampa and keeping the local talent home, etc...but for some reason they are offering the local kids way late.  We aren't UF or Texas or USC where we can just throw our offer out at the last minute and get the kid to jump despite other schools having built a relationship with them for well over a year.

A lot of local coaches and players are complaining about it this year.  And look at our commits. There are none from Hillsborough or Pinellas.  Its almost like the are taking the local kids for granted. Its going to bite us big time too.  A lot of the local kids we had a great shot at but waited forever to offer...are going places like Rutgers and Cincy and are recruiting their teammates up there. So its a double whammy. We don't get them and they are going to a conferance rival and are going to play against us with a big chip on their shoulder.  "USF thinks they are too good for me, I'll show them."

Your right on. this is getting kinda sad. The only recruits we are getting are ones who have far inferior offers. I agree somewhat that players are individuals and the ranking systems aren't that accurate as to their skills. But the coaches that have been evaluating our signees aren't ranking them very highly. How could we not be offering some of these more talented kids earlier? Is it because Holtz is still playing catch up? Are we gonna be able to develop stronger relationships with local coaches? I thought this year would improve over last, but i am starting to worry a bit.

• 3 months later...

• Content Count:  7,044
  • Days Won:  11

looks like he's going to uga per bcp site

• Content Count:  1,757

I think we are building a fence around tampa. A fence keeping recruits out.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I'm willing to give Skip a pass in recruiting this year. He better get his **** together next year though. He needs to develop a better relationship with local athletes.

Archived