• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miller gets closure in USF camp

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Holtz told ESPN that he was shocked about the lack of talent/depth in some areas of the team.

Yeah, really?  And yet many arnchair coaches are happy Leavitt was gone because they expected him to win, with same talent level, a National Championship.  They seemed to think we were uber-talented then.  Thank heaven Skip is here to correct expectations.

I don't think anyone had realistic expectations that Leavitt would win a national championship.  I do think it is realistic to expect us to have been more competitive in our divisions (both C-USA and BE).  As wtih Holtz feelings on the talent level Leavitt left, there are areas I think Leavitt far exceeded expectations as a head coach and areas I think he fell far short.  Composure and professionalism is probably one of the most glaring examples.

But of course, as it relates to this message board, I think it only detracts from the discussion.  Leavitt could have went o-12 and I wouldn't ask for him to be fired under these circumstances.  By the same token, he could have one three national championships and I believe our administration would have fired him, given the same sequence of events.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Holtz told ESPN that he was shocked about the lack of talent/depth in some areas of the team.

Yeah, really?  And yet many arnchair coaches are happy Leavitt was gone because they expected him to win, with same talent level, a National Championship.  They seemed to think we were uber-talented then.  Thank heaven Skip is here to correct expectations.

People predicted Leavitt would win a National Championship?!? When???....2007 maybe? I don't think anyone thought the 2007 team would WIN a national championship. Even had we not lost those 3 games that year....we would have been totally exposed as a fraud had we played Ohio State in that game. I mean look at what an Oregon team with a 3rd string QB did to us in the Sun Bowl.

This team would have had holes in it whether Leavitt or Holtz was here. I think most fans expectations for this team were low regardless of the coach. I think most would say they expect anywhere from a 5-7 to a 7-5 team.....nothing to get too excited about. I don't think Skip did anything to skew those expectations.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

USF is far enough down the road and in Florida no less, that depth and quality issues should not have left "big holes". That is on Leavitt.

I suppose.  so at what point in the future should we expect to beat a Top 25 team or win four games in the Big East?  Or how about beating one of the Big 3?

Since we are blaming Leavitt for such horrible things, how long to you give Skip to get us to where we were under Leavitt?

And what are the big holes?  Have you any idea?  Is it at RB, with Ford being kicked off the team?  Where are the big holes?  I read the main board and I see a lot of positives about the defense, even though it lost many guys.  The offense, as I recall, returns 10 players.  Maybe I am wrong. 

I believe the Leavitt teams, holes or not, have been 0-4 against ECU.  Perhaps Skip filled those holes as he will fill USFs.  Let's hope so.

I know you love to paste quotes, whether they have merit or not, so the bar is set low for your response.

One need only look at previous pre-season posts on this board to marvel at the 11-0 and Nat Champ possibilities some pondered realistically.

Now that the thread is totally derailed, I'll bring it back to where it started - closure.

I thought Miller and his attorney wanted a public apology from Leavitt for closure.  A scholarship is a good trade I guess.  One or the other.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Now that the thread is totally derailed, I'll bring it back to where it started - closure.

I thought Miller and his attorney wanted a public apology from Leavitt for closure.  A scholarship is a good trade I guess.  One or the other.

You are certainly in a fine **** stirring mood today ....  :D

As far as back on topic, I've got no real problem with him getting the schollie .... Maybe these last 9 months have toughened him up and finally matured him. What's ironic is that isn't the position he's at now where his bestest buddy in the whole world, Colby, was trying to come back at? I much prefer Joel taking a schollie spot for it than Snake ...

As I have said, I got no problem with it either.  I think it's reasonable, as did Martin Fennelly and Skip Holtz, to address the reason for the schollie.

As for slick pushing for an anti-Leavitt conversation, I'm always up for that.  We'll be having that for a few years I suppose. 

I don't recall anyone seriously thinking this USF team would go 13-0 prior to any season.

E.T. is an optimistic one but even he usually posts smiley faces after typing such a thing.

I would say after our blow out win against UCF in 2007....I thought it was possible we could get to the National Championship game in which I knew we would be pasted.

I don't think Leavitt is being accused of anything terrible. I think Schiano & Kelly had his number. Wanstache and Edsall also on some in other instances.  

I think the big holes are Depth at QB and WR. Mainly QB.....I remember thinking prior to last season when Grothe was healthy.....what is Leavitt doing not picking up a QB?!?....We are going to go into 10' with a sophomore QB with no experience (BJ) and then hope our true Freshman will be that good and backup and pressure BJ? What if BJ isn't any good....are we going back to the Banks and Julmiste years?!?

I don't think referencing the 4-0 versus ECU is particularly fair except for the 2006 PPJB win. None of those other wins came against Skip teams. 02, 03 and 04 ECU was a REAL BAD team. Went 4-8, 1-11 and 2-9 those years. Heck the year they went 1-11 we only beat them in OT because they missed an extra point.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

I think the big holes are Depth at QB and WR. Mainly QB.....I remember thinking prior to last season when Grothe was healthy.....what is Leavitt doing not picking up a QB?!?....We are going to go into 10' with a sophomore QB with no experience (BJ) and then hope our true Freshman will be that good and backup and pressure BJ? What if BJ isn't any good....are we going back to the Banks and Julmiste years?!?

Are the holes at wr really Leavitt's fault? The lack of proven backup qb can be laid on CJL, I guess ... but how easy is it to get a bonafide talent to places like this when you've supposedly got your starter for the next 3 years?

To be fair to Leavitt, he did always recruit a lot of Athlete's that played QB in HS that weren't really college QB's....i.e. Denson, Julmiste, Landi, Victor Marc, Isacc Virgin, ect.

People who would not be QB's anywhere but here so maybe Leavitt didn't view his QB situation all that bleak....yet anytime one of those QB's saw the field we basically saw that....they couldn't really throw.

I wasn't overly impressed with Landi at QB last year the few times he saw the field....at least not when he was throwing the ball.

So maybe Leavitt would not have seen his QB situation as having holes in it whereas maybe Skip....looking for more of a pro-style QB would not feel the same way.

Totally unrelated question....with all the athletes we used to recruit....can anyone understand why we never worked in option style/wildcat type plays into our offense. I would have rather seen Grothe running with a RB along side him than all those QB draw plays he had to do.

Archived