• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Glen Stanley will not be at #FSU this fall

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

Hopefully he was not persuaded" by FSU's getto-hype "recruting."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I thought that might happen.

cdowlar

Per #FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher, Glen Stanley will not be at #FSU this fall.

about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

From BFeldmanESPN on Twitter

Heard that FSU still has lots of paperwork to vet to determine if JC LB Glen Stanley can play this fall. Noles staff found out more on Fri.

about 2 hours ago via web

If FSU is having problems getting him enrolled, just imagine what the USF academic committee would say.

See what I mean?  ;D

cdowlar

FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher, Glen Stanley will not be at #FSU this fall.

about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/cdowlar

• Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

Do we still have room here for him or possibly one of the other guys that have been let go recently from the SEC schools due to over signing

Do we still have room here for him or possibly one of the other guys that have been let go recently from the SEC schools due to over signing

I think we still have a few scholarships available, even after giving out two of them to walk-ons. It would be nice if Shwartz  also got one.

If it's a problem with his academics then USF won't take Stanley. If it's some strange thing like ACC transfer rules which prevent him from going to FSU, which doesn't apply to the Big East, then we could take him. First, USC has to send USF a release on him. Last I heard, we never got one.

• Content Count:  21,335
  • Days Won:  10

Universities need to stop screwing with players.  What happened?

Glen Stanley not making it to Florida State: Another junior college misadventure

football — posted by andrew carter on August, 6 2010 1:05 PM Discuss This: Comments(4) | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it

Wasn’t too much actual news that came out of Florida State’s first practice of the preseason on Thursday. It was Jimbo Fisher’s first preseason practice as head coach. We knew that. It was hot. We knew that. Some players struggled with the heat. We knew that was going to happen. About the only thing that was newsworthy was when Fisher revealed his doubts that Glen Stanley, the touted junior college linebacker, would make it into Florida State.

After his release from USC, Glen Stanley was Florida State bound. Then he wasn't. Photo courtesy Eastern Arizona College.

In fact, that’s probably putting it mildly. Fisher made it seem, in essence, that Stanley has no chance of playing at Florida State.

“Doesn’t look like it,†Fisher said. “From what we understand. Which I was unaware of because we didn’t get to talk to him until Thursday, see? And he came in on Friday. And they had told us he had graduated. So we were doing some grade checks and just making sure.â€

Apparently, those grade checks discovered all was not well with Stanley’s transcript. Stanley, an Ocala native, has been on an odd journey to this point. He has, at one point or another, been committed to UCF, Tennessee and USC. He played in 2009 at Eastern Arizona College, where some considered him to be among the best junior college prospects in the nation. He committed to USC, then sought his release after the NCAA severely sanctioned the Trojans football program for rules violations.

Finally, USC released him from his national letter of intent. That came last week. Stanley said throughout the past several weeks – while he was still waiting to be released from USC – that he wanted to return to Florida, where he has a fiancee and a daughter. He said he wanted to be closer to his family. A logical landing spot, then, was Florida State, where Stanley might have played defensive end – a position of need for the Seminoles. After his release from USC, Stanley wasted no time. He said he’d be bound for Tallahassee, and said he’d participate in the Seminoles’ first practice.

Well, apparently not. Florida State began practice on Thursday and Stanley wasn’t a part of it. His story is another example of how difficult it is to get junior college players into school. Remember Jonathan Hannah? Or how difficult it was for Tavares Pressley to arrive at Florida State a couple years ago from El Camino College in California?

Keep in mind, it’s a good thing that junior college players sometimes can’t easily get into school. Academic requirements are lax enough as they are. Making the process easier isn’t the answer.

Speaking of El Camino, that’s where Florida State signee Mike Harris played the past two seasons. Harris was a recruit whose commitment particularly excited the fanbase, given his talent and ability to provide help at a position of need. But, again, Florida State began practice on Thursday and Harris wasn’t there. Again, the problem stems from a paperwork issue – this one believed to be related to a correspondence course Harris needed to qualify. At least on this one, Fisher is optimistic.

He said on Thursday, “I think we’ll be all right on that one [Harris]. I think we’ll going to be all right. It’s just a matter of dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s … I believe Michael Harris will be just fine.â€

Perhaps so. But it when it comes to junior college transfers, it’d be wise not to expect much until they’re actually on campus, qualified and cleared.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2010/08/glen-stanley-not-making-it-to-florida-state-another-junior-college-misadventure.html

• Content Count:  21,335
  • Days Won:  10

I guess his grades and moving around has caused havoc with his transcript.

I guess his grades and moving around has caused havoc with his transcript.

Could be, but Greg speculates that it's probably not a clearinghouse issue:

Greg Auman wrote:

If he had a clearinghouse issue, why did USC take so long to release him from his NLI? I think it's the residency requirement the ACC has in place -- he only spent one year at his junior college ...

Aug 6, 2010 5:22

To that USF Big East Champions wrote:

Greg, so assuming USF still wants him since he is qualified since there is no Big East residency rule and he is not going to FSU, I would assume since since he was down to FSU and USF that he will be at USF this fall? Right?

To that, Greg hasn't answered. LOL

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/no-tall-tale-meet-incredible-shrinking-bulls#comments

• 3 weeks later...

Archived