• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Latest Commitment: Matt Floyd is a Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I suspect that Corey got the News from Fl Varsity.

July 25, 2010

Bulls land their man in Floyd

Michael Langston

FlaVarsity.com

For months the South Florida Bulls have made it clear that Milton quarterback Matt Floyd was a high priority on their list. Just after 3:00 PM today, he informed FlaVarsity.com of the news that he has officially decided to become a South Florida Bull.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JULY 25, 2010

Milton QB Floyd picks Bulls at Sling 'n' Shoot

Skip Holtz has picked up his second quarterback commitment this month, as Matt Floyd, a 6-foot-2, 195-pound senior from Milton, committed to the Bulls on Sunday afternoon at USF's Sling 'n' Shoot football camp on campus.

Floyd, who recently visited Alabama and Mississippi and had offers from Louisville, Clemson, Iowa State and Southern Miss, got to meet the other quarterback pledged to the Bulls, as he shook hands with Land O'Lakes star Stevie Weatherford as both talked with quarterbacks coach Peter Vaas and offensive coordinator Todd Fitch on the sidelines during the huge 7-on-7 tournament Sunday.

"He's a total, complete player -- he pretty much can do it all," said Bobby Johns, who took over as Milton's coach this spring. "He has a great understanding of the game, has great mechanics, makes decisions well under pressure.  He can run the option, play under center or out of shotgun."

Floyd isn't rated too highly by the major recruiting sites -- Scout.com rates him as a two-star recruit, and Rivals.com hasn't rated him yet, though Flavarsity.com ranks him as the No. 88 player in the state of Florida at any position.

As recently as April, Floyd didn't have a Division I scholarship offer, but he's had a busy three months -- he took part in the first-ever John Madden Football Camp at IMG Academies in June and was named Offensive Co-MVP.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/milton-qb-floyd-picks-bulls-sling-n-shoot#comments

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

I like it. Although i love watching spread offenses, I think the move to more a pro style offense with more pro style QB's will be more beneficial for us.

• Content Count:  143

Sounds like we landed the two we wanted.  That will do it for any more QB's.  Both will be three stars after it's all said and done and the great thing about the kids that Skip is comiting is that they likely will stick, unlike some of Jim's commits.

Floyd was co-mvp in the Madden camp in Sarasota/Bradenton.  Big-time steal.  Time to move on to other positions.

JULY 25, 2010

Floyd: Both QB commits will enroll in January

USF coach Skip Holtz won't have to wait long to get the kind of depth he wants at quarterback.

The Bulls' ninth and latest commitment for 2011, Milton quarterback Matt Floyd, said Sunday night that when he met Land O'Lakes' Stevie Weatherford on campus Sunday afternoon, they discovered they had more than just a future college in common.

"We both are enrolling in January," Floyd said. "I think since we're both doing that, we might end up as roommates."

That means the Bulls will have four scholarship quarterbacks this spring -- starter B.J. Daniels, who will be a sophomore this fall, and his expected backup, Jamius "Jay" Gunsby, who will be a true freshman this fall, plus the two new arrivals in January. USF had never had early enrollees out of high school until this past January, when offensive lineman Austin Reiter and defensive end Brandon Wilkinson joined the team halfway through their final year of high school.

Floyd, making the six-hour drive home with his family Sunday night, is ecstatic about joining the Bulls. Three months ago, he didn't have a Division I-A offer, but Bulls assistant Rick Smith saw him this spring and liked him enough to send quarterbacks coach Peter Vaas for a second look. He picked up other offers, from schools like Louisville, Iowa State, Southern Miss and Central Florida, but said USF was his top choice all along.

"Everything at South Florida we like a lot," said Floyd, who lists himself at 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds. "About two weeks ago, we decided South Florida was where I wanted to go. I feel like I'm at home with their coaches and players. It's all positive."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/floyd-both-qb-commits-will-enroll-january#comments

• Content Count:  3,403

I like it. Although i love watching spread offenses, I think the move to more a pro style offense with more pro style QB's will be more beneficial for us.

I disagree, it's always better to have a guy that can run.  Ideally you find a guy that has a great arm, too, like BJ Daniels.

Floyd can run, btw:  "JUNIOR: Threw for 1,711 yards and 14 TD's. Added 421 yards rushing and nine touchdowns. Second Team All Area QB by PNJ"

He looks like Grothe to me.

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Joey Knight's article mentions Stevie Wetherford's got a broken hand.  What's that all about, when did Stevie break it?

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/blog/2010/jul/25/dragons-win-sling-n-shoot/

• Content Count:  3,403

He'll be ok fore practice in a few weeks.  It's nothing serious.

Joey Knight's article mentions Stevie Wetherford's got a broken hand.   What's that all about, when did Stevie break it?

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/blog/2010/jul/25/dragons-win-sling-n-shoot/

He broke it playing basketball. As Windbane said, it is not considered serious and should have no impact on his football career.

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

^^ Good for Steve; glad it's nothing serious.  Basketball is good cross-training for football players...except when you break something!  Hope he is ready for high school season.  I was hoping Stevie's Land O' Lakes High was playing Hernando county's Nature Coast Tech this fall for a Weatherford-Ja'Juan Story QB matchup, but checked and they're not playing each other this year.  Maybe in playoffs--not sure if they are in same FHSAA classification or not.

Archived