• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

After all said and done USF and the BE might be in a better situation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

If the Big East adds c-usa schools. That will not keep the other schools from leaving. If we lose the minimum of 2 schools, and they bring 4-6 schools from c-usa and/or Mac. The Big East could still lose it's AQ status.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

I think that if we end up taking C-USA members it weakens the conference and we are in a worse position.  If it is only one or two teams the Big East will be okay but it will be a big blow.  If it is more than that we are in trouble.

Obviously we are better off if we were to end up in the ACC regardless of how things in the Big East play out, but I think this is unlikely unless the SEC were to take 3 or 4 teams from them.

This might sound crazy, but if Notre Dame ditches us or we end up losing 3 or 4 teams I think that the best bet for the Big East is to go after Army and Navy.  We aren't going to be able to get any schools from the existing big name conferences and I think we'd be much better off with this than taking schools like ECU, Memphis, or UCF.  None of these teams are basketball superstars and don't mesh with the Big East image, but at least Army and Navy have big fan bases and wouldn't be a downgrade.  I can live with a break-even scenario, but I would hate to see us backtrack with a conference that is weaker.

Guest nybullsfan

On one of the other threads, someone posted that one of the AQ rules was that the conference needed 6 teams that have been together 5+ years.

If true, the BE could lose its AQ status simply by getting 3 teams poached (e.g. RU, Cuse, Pitt)...

Worst possible scenario: We lose 3 teams to realignment, and get invited nowhere else. Stuck in the Big East, as a NON-BCS league.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

why does anyone give a **** about keeping a notre dame?  they dont do anything for Big east

As mentioned 426 previous times, Notre Dame brings in money, even without being a full fledged BE member.  The BE would be affliated with lower paying bowls if not for the added bonus of possibly getting Notre Dame.

• Content Count:  771

On one of the other threads, someone posted that one of the AQ rules was that the conference needed 6 teams that have been together 5+ years.

If true, the BE could lose its AQ status simply by getting 3 teams poached (e.g. RU, Cuse, Pitt)...

Worst possible scenario: We lose 3 teams to realignment, and get invited nowhere else. Stuck in the Big East, as a NON-BCS league.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/sports/07conference.html

Here is the link (last paragraph)

don't forget they would have to reapply in basketball too.  It would be automatic with kansas, wvu, pitt, uconn though.  I think they wouldn't have an issue getting a bid in football either.  This means the big 12 no longer exists and the big east football no longer exist.  I could see the bcs extending an AQ our way.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

there will be massive changes for all

• Content Count:  100

why does anyone give a **** about keeping a notre dame?  they dont do anything for Big east

As mentioned 426 previous times, Notre Dame brings in money, even without being a full fledged BE member.  The BE would be affliated with lower paying bowls if not for the added bonus of possibly getting Notre Dame.

Not to mention, if the Big East is serious about getting its own network going - and who really knows how realistic that is - they're going to have to fill the time between football seasons with something, and Notre Dame can only help add to the appeal. It may not be a huge difference, but then Notre Dame's non-football presence in the league isn't a huge problem either. I don't understand why people are so dead set on giving Notre Dame the boot. What problem does kicking out Notre Dame solve that wouldn't be solved by kicking out any of the other non-football schools? At least Notre Dame is good at other sports, such as basketball, which is more than one or two of the basketball schools can say.

there will be massive changes for all

How massively insightful. Your continued brilliance is an inspiration to us all.

• Content Count:  4,501

I still say the Big East needs to look at BCS conference merger left overs like the 2 Kansas schools that USF has played. The Big East would truly be big if it meant East of the Rockies. If the Big 12 is no more, then the Big East might be their only chance to stay in a BCS conference and most likely they would jump on it.

Not a bad idea - at this point if the BE wants to survive it should be out there with ideas.  The problem is it is a BB conference of 16 teams.  For football it would be great.

• Content Count:  639

None of these teams are basketball superstars and don't mesh with the Big East image, but at least Army and Navy have big fan bases and wouldn't be a downgrade.  I can live with a break-even scenario, but I would hate to see us backtrack with a conference that is weaker.

USF meshes with the Big East image?

300px-BigEastLocations.png

• Content Count:  771

my original thread was based on if the big 10 takes nd only, and that is the only school to leave the big east.  Adding ucf would give us a school a little closer than the rest of them.  We would still keep or AQ

Archived