• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's Fernandez gets new contract

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,472
  • Days Won:  13

How much money does USF womens basketball bring to athletics?  Coaches salaries are always controversial.  I realize this isn't a popular opinion on a sports discussion board, but at an institution that may very well house the doctor or scientist who uncovers the next major technological breakthrough or cure, the compensation we give to our athletic coaches can cause our priorities to appear a bit out of line.

IN the case of Football, it is hard to argue.  The sport is a revenue generating sport.  I am not sure the same can be said about Womens' Basketball. 

Other than that, I don't really have an issue with retaining Jose.  Was glad to see him hold to his guns as far as team discipline last season, even when many rumored his job was on the line.

Not popular. I posted something along these lines and it was deleted by the mods. But I agree that it is a waste to pay a coach of a sport that loses money 100k per year. Run sports like a business. Spend what you earn

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

It's not just an unpopular opinion, it is an unfounded one. Again, it only makes "you" wonder if "you" don't know what you're talking about.

Athletics does not take money away from academics.

I suppose it would depend on your definition of "takes away".  I believe last analysis showed that all of 14 D-1 athletic programs are self-sufficient.  The remainder must pull a portion of thier budget from the schools general funds and student athletic fees (which I suppose otherwise are used exclusively for itramural sports).  Now this is a bit misleading in that I don't think most of these analysis take into account licensing revenue form things like hats, shirts, flags, etc.  Presumably our involvement in D-1 sports promotes the sale of these items more so than others.  And of course, as I mentioned there are many net positives that aren't directly associated wtih a revenue stream (such as advertising, increased studen and alumni involvement, etc). 

However, your ascertion that it doesn't take money from academics is only true in that sense that no money, ear marked for academics, is spent on athletics.  Clearly, more money could be ear marked from general revenue or more moeny from student fees, if it wasn't spent on athletics.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

So if you have to have women's basketball, it makes sense to spend 75K more than bare minimum (assuming 75K is what you would have to pay bare minimum for Div I coach), to have a good team and the better marketing!

Yeah, that is a good point.  I am not sure I wouldn't rather see that $75k go to Holtz assistant pool though, seeing as how that is the sport bringing in the revenue.  All in all though, I am really glad to have Fernandez still on with USF.  He seems to be a decent recruiter and does an excellent job keeping the program clean.

Guest Sunburned

How much money does USF womens basketball bring to athletics?  Coaches salaries are always controversial.  I realize this isn't a popular opinion on a sports discussion board, but at an institution that may very well house the doctor or scientist who uncovers the next major technological breakthrough or cure, the compensation we give to our athletic coaches can cause our priorities to appear a bit out of line.

IN the case of Football, it is hard to argue.  The sport is a revenue generating sport.  I am not sure the same can be said about Womens' Basketball. 

Other than that, I don't really have an issue with retaining Jose.  Was glad to see him hold to his guns as far as team discipline last season, even when many rumored his job was on the line.

Not popular. I posted something along these lines and it was deleted by the mods. But I agree that it is a waste to pay a coach of a sport that loses money 100k per year. Run sports like a business. Spend what you earn

There are people who feel it's a waste of taxpayers money to subsidize tuition at state universities.  Run it like a business, and make students pay for what they get.  IMO, student fees shouldn't be used for inter-collegiate sports or facilities periods. I know of at least one state in which it is prohibited by law.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,593
  • Days Won:  424

Not popular. I posted something along these lines and it was deleted by the mods.

LOL .... "something along these lines"?  ::)

Run sports like a business. Spend what you earn

I guess this means we do away with all high school sports then .... except football in Texas.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Having Geno Auriemma making $1.6M per year jacks up the BIG EAST's average salary something fierce. Also C. Vivian Stringer makes almost $500K. It will make everyone else look underpaid.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

IMO, student fees shouldn't be used for inter-collegiate sports or facilities periods. I know of at least one state in which it is prohibited by law.

Do you live there?

Archived