• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Graduation: An Editorial by FutureUSFStudent

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

head west

lots of opportunities in california

we always need good lawyers in la

Be careful though, $100K in Cali/NY/etc is not worth what it is in FL and other places. I'd have to make $200K+ to have an equivalent salary in CA. I didnt' bother accepting any offers out there.

there are no jobs in florida according to pundits

you need to go where the jobs are

you sound like you better stay wherever you are as la isnt for you

big fish small pond thing  is better for some

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

What a joke.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

head west

Be careful though, $100K in Cali/NY/etc is not worth what it is in FL and other places. I'd have to make $200K+ to have an equivalent salary in CA. I didnt' bother accepting any offers out there.

there are no jobs in florida according to pundits

you need to go where the jobs are

you sound like you better stay wherever you are as la isnt for you

big fish small pond thing  is better for some

I left FL almost immediately after graduating. The market either a.) sucks, or b.) is underpaying.

I didn't move to CA because I found similar pay in a much less expensive area at a Fortune 500 company. There are other areas of the country booming not named CA.

• Content Count:  7,201

Try this if moving out of the area, even to another city in Florida.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

If for example you make 100k here in Tampa, you'd need to make 150k in Los Angeles to live in the same lifestyle.   

You'd need $232k to live the same in New York City. 

So the best thing to do is (a) look at job listings in monster or other tools to see where the majority of the jobs in your desired industry exist (B) look at housing market there © look at what they are paying (d) look at what it will cost you to live there in comparision with somewhere else (ie Tampa). 

You may also want to look at what it is you like (ie hobbies, sports, etc) and ensure that your target city/state will have those things which are important to you.  It is one thing to find a job.  It is another to move somewhere you actually like to live.  May also wish to consider commute times (those are published on line too).  LA for example, is one of the worst in the country for commuting.  NYC isn't very fun either.  Time = money so that is something to consider. 

Then make your decision.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

head west

agree, because there are no good lawyers in LA.

• Content Count:  3,802

Try this if moving out of the area, even to another city in Florida.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

If for example you make 100k here in Tampa, you'd need to make 150k in Los Angeles to live in the same lifestyle.   

You'd need $232k to live the same in New York City. 

So the best thing to do is (a) look at job listings in monster or other tools to see where the majority of the jobs in your desired industry exist (B) look at housing market there © look at what they are paying (d) look at what it will cost you to live there in comparision with somewhere else (ie Tampa). 

You may also want to look at what it is you like (ie hobbies, sports, etc) and ensure that your target city/state will have those things which are important to you.  It is one thing to find a job.  It is another to move somewhere you actually like to live.  May also wish to consider commute times (those are published on line too).  LA for example, is one of the worst in the country for commuting.  NYC isn't very fun either.   Time = money so that is something to consider. 

Then make your decision.

I used that very site to help put the offers on level playing fields.

Commuting is a good point I'm in traffic 3 hours/day sometimes. It's not fun, luckily I have a flexible schedule so I can try to avoid rush hour. Still, that means either getting into work before 7 or about 10 am.

• Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

head west

that holds true for someone with a job but for a person who just graduated and secures a $100k in cali is still better off than no job in Tampa

Archived