• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Went to Coach's Social Dinner last night...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

if holtz can lock down tampa... we will be a good team...

we can't let prospects leave the immediate USF area like chamberlain, freedom, wharton, hillsborough, jefferson etc.

:ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

You are kidding ?  Right ?   UF walks in the door and you have nothing locked down.

... clearly you are confused here...

it is not locked down which is why UF can walk in the door and take anyone they want...

the point is... holtz needs to build barriers around the area... like building rock solid relationships with local coaches.

UF will always be able to steal one here or there but we need to keep most of them. Once we do that... we can be a very solid program.

Why do you think Holtz kept Carl Franks - he has outstanding relationships with HS coaches all over.  Holtz will build his over time but UF along with a ton of other top notch schools recruit this area and they will always get players.  If a kid wants to go "away" to school he will not sign with USF.  If a kid grew up a Gator fan or a Noles fan they are likely to go there no matter what Holtz does.  We can and should get our fair share but lock down - no way.  Ask Miami how they managed to lock down Broward county - even with all their history and NCs they loose players every year to other schools including USF -can you say Kavon Webster.  Now if a kid wants to play in front of his family and friends it is a huge advantage for USF.  And no I am not confused.  I know Miami built their power house team by focusing in on local recruits but times have changed and it is much harder to do that then in the past.  Actually FSU pulled alot of their great players out of the Miami area in the 90s.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,985

we can't let prospects leave the immediate USF area like chamberlain, freedom, wharton, hillsborough, jefferson etc.

Lakeland, Kathleen, Bradenton....

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Lakeland, Kathleen, Bradenton....

Don't forget Plant and Armwood! What do they have 4 state titles since 03?

Holtz will build a different kind of team then Leavitt, he will focus on different attributes in the players and positions.  I look for good things to come.

Please tell me what Skip is going to do ?  I am really interested to hear this.  Exactley what attributes in players and positions do you mean ? 

More of an I formation set (and players to run it). More pocket passinf plays (and players to run them). More throws to the TE down field (and players that can run those routes). Since we will be more of a traditional I formation/packet passing type team, we will need different types of O-linemen. I suspect that Coach Holtz will also look to recruit bigger interrior D-line players as well. So, provided he's given time, I think that he'll pretty much change the entire make-up of the team.

Holtz will build a different kind of team then Leavitt, he will focus on different attributes in the players and positions.  I look for good things to come.

Please tell me what Skip is going to do ?  I am really interested to hear this.  Exactley what attributes in players and positions do you mean ? 

More of an I formation set (and players to run it). More pocket passinf plays (and players to run them). More throws to the TE down field (and players that can run those routes). Since we will be more of a traditional I formation/packet passing type team, we will need different types of O-linemen. I suspect that Coach Holtz will also look to recruit bigger interrior D-line players as well. So, provided he's given time, I think that he'll pretty much change the entire make-up of the team.

Sounds good.  I think Skip ran a modified spread at ECU and I don't know what he did at UCON.  If you think he is going to more of a pocket passer then BJ will have to change alot and we will see different recruiting in the future.  I am not sure what you mean by different type OL but you can teach more run blocking then pass blocking to any OL.  The d-line has been a weak spot for awhille but I don't think the recruiting will be any different as we have always tried to get big d-line - trying and getting are alot different.  It will be interesting to see how this all works out with Skip putting his signiture on the current players and then who comes in.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

2009 BigEast Rushing Leader

1. LEWIS, Dion-PITT FR 13 325 1799 5.5 17 85 138.4

2. DEVINE, Noel-WVU JR 13 241 1465 6.1 13 88 112.7

3. TODMAN, Jordan-CONN SO 13 235 1188 5.1 14 58 91.4

4. CARTER, Delone-SYR SR 12 236 1021 4.3 11 58 85.1

5. DIXON, Andre-CONN SR 13 239 1093 4.6 14 45 84.1

6. MARTINEK, Joe-RUT SO 13 206 967 4.7 9 61 74.4

7. PEAD, Isaiah-CIN SO 13 121 806 6.7 9 67 62.0

8. DANIELS, BJ-USF FR 13 175 772 4.4 9 44 59.4

9. ASHLEY, Darius-LOU FR 9 106 462 4.4 4 35 51.3

10. PLANCHER, Moise-USF SR 13 129 581 4.5 5 28 44.7

Hopefully the math experts on this site are correct about Mo for 2010, b/c 2009 was awful.

It's only awful in the sense that he only got half as many carries as the conference yardage leaders. He averaged basically 10 carries a game. Double that and keep the same YPC, and he would have run for 1162 yards last year.

Sounds good.  I think Skip ran a modified spread at ECU and I don't know what he did at UCON.  If you think he is going to more of a pocket passer then BJ will have to change alot and we will see different recruiting in the future.  I am not sure what you mean by different type OL but you can teach more run blocking then pass blocking to any OL.  The d-line has been a weak spot for awhille but I don't think the recruiting will be any different as we have always tried to get big d-line - trying and getting are alot different.  It will be interesting to see how this all works out with Skip putting his signiture on the current players and then who comes in.

Not to get into semantics but IMO, Skip ran a modified run-n-shoot, his QB had very few carries. I think that we've already seen the changing philosophy in recruting QB's 6'6" Jamrius Gunsby. I do think that we will modify our offense around BJ's ability to run, but just not up and down the field, more called roll outs, get him on the edge, forcing the DB, or LB to make a choice. As for O-linemen, we will need "kids" in age only, that are able to pull, and just move more in general, more foot speed. IMO a good coach can coach a team to a victory when there is no adversity, a great coach can win in spite if it. Goodness knows one thing we have a **** ton of this year is adversity, new coaching staff, coahes having to find a way to hybridize their O to fit the players we have, and AJ going down. Either way, if we give it our all, every minute of every game, then it will be fun to watch. I love the strategery that goes on in a football game. God I wish the season was here, it's going to be like Christmas day to me.

• Content Count:  2,352
  • Days Won:  4

Not to get into semantics but IMO, Skip ran a modified run-n-shoot, his QB had very few carries. I think that we've already seen the changing philosophy in recruting QB's 6'6" Jamrius Gunsby. I do think that we will modify our offense around bj daniels ability to run, but just not up and down the field, more called roll outs, get him on the edge, forcing the DB, or LB to make a choice. As for O-linemen, we will need "kids" in age only, that are able to pull, and just move more in general, more foot speed. IMO a good coach can coach a team to a victory when there is no adversity, a great coach can win in spite if it. Goodness knows one thing we have a **** ton of this year is adversity, new coaching staff, coahes having to find a way to hybridize their O to fit the players we have, and AJ going down. Either way, if we give it our all, every minute of every game, then it will be fun to watch. I love the strategery that goes on in a football game. God I wish the season was here, it's going to be like Christmas day to me.

LOL - not trying to knock what you said but it just made me laugh when you said Skips QB didn't run much.  I have this picture of Pinkney(sp?) rumbling down the field and BJ go flying by him.  BJ is way way way faster and more alusive then Pinkney.  Plus that Johnson guy in the backfiled sorta made the QB running unnesserary.  I think we are all looking forward to see what our team will look like this fall.

LOL - not trying to knock what you said but it just made me laugh when you said Skips QB didn't run much.  I have this picture of Pinkney(sp?) rumbling down the field and BJ go flying by him.  BJ is way way way faster and more alusive then Pinkney.  Plus that Johnson guy in the backfiled sorta made the QB running unnesserary.  I think we are all looking forward to see what our team will look like this fall.

I take no offence, I agree completely that BJ will do some running, just not as much as last year (at least I hope). BJ will have to adapt his game to Coach’s O,  and Coach has to adapt to BJ. That is a prime example of when coaching ability either shines, or stinks likes yesterday’s garbage.

Archived