• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Went to Coach's Social Dinner last night...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  377
  • Days Won:  0

A few things I heard from Skip.  He and most players are leaning towards white helmets for the majority of the year.  If yellow helmets are going to be used as majority, yellow numbers will replace white numbers on back of jerseys.  Also, there was talk of green helmets as a possibility.  Skip also said that he expects the black to removed from the helmet logos.

Other than that, I met several other coaches on that staff and their wives and they are really nice.  They are passionate about the program and the coaches spent the last week visiting every single high school coach in the region (all counties surrounding Hillsborough county).  Coach Holtz has made it a mission to try and get as many top recruits from this region as possible.  Seems like he has hit the ground running and is trying to establish a recruiting stronghold within the region.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

if holtz can lock down tampa... we will be a good team...

we can't let prospects leave the immediate USF area like chamberlain, freedom, wharton, hillsborough, jefferson etc.

• Content Count:  21,346
  • Days Won:  10

Holtz will build a different kind of team then Leavitt, he will focus on different attributes in the players and positions.  I look for good things to come.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Holtz will build a different kind of team then Leavitt, he will focus on different attributes in the players and positions.  I look for good things to come.

yeah

holtz will recruit football players and run a conventional scheme

holtz will teach and demand fundamentals

\holtz will build a program that will compete for conference championshiop year after year

i would say it is a different kind of team

• Content Count:  4,501

if holtz can lock down tampa... we will be a good team...

we can't let prospects leave the immediate USF area like chamberlain, freedom, wharton, hillsborough, jefferson etc.

:ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

You are kidding ?  Right ?  UF walks in the door and you have nothing locked down.

Please tell me what Skip is going to do ?  I am really interested to hear this.  Exactley what attributes in players and positions do you mean ? 

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Don't forget Polk County, it has been my thoughts that USF did not put enough effort into recruiting Polk County in the past.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

Sorry we didn't run into you there Smitty.  It was a real nice event.  Very casual.  First time I saw Doug Woolard not in a suit.  Got to speak with FCSH and his wife and kids for a short while.  They all seem happy to be down here.  His little daughter loves it because "the malls are better". 

What I found interesting is that the OC thinks Mo should have a 1,000 yard year - or at least hopes so. 

There was nothing concrete that you could point to yet about differences in coaching staffs, but FCSH had each of the assistants speak and you had to come away impressed with the new guys coming in.  The two coordinators and the QB coach especially.

I thought it was great that the staff got out to visit every high school in every county touching Hillsborough.  Doesn't mean we will keep every kid here.  But you have to believe we will do better, eventually, than we had in the past.

And Coach didn't promise a championship this year.  He understands it is a process.  I've heard him say it before - that this is going to take coaches, players, administrators and fans to get this done.  He mentioned getting to a point where Ray Jay is sold out for the Western Kentucky and Stony Brook games.  He said how important it is because for some recruits it may be their only visit to USF.  The fans at that game will be the impression those kids leave with.

He also loves the idea of that social last night.  He challenged everyone to tell 5 people about it.  So I'm doing my part and telling all of you.  Look for it to be on the eve of the golf tournament again next year.  There were only a handful of golfers there.  Most in attendance were not playing in the tournament.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

What I found interesting is that the OC thinks Mo should have a 1,000 yard year - or at least hopes so. 

There was nothing concrete that you could point to yet about differences in coaching staffs

I think you just pointed out a huge difference between coaching staffs right there.

Holtz has done an excellant job with the media and meeting and greeting fans.  Last guy I remember that really reached out like that was basketball Coach Greenberg

Archived