• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rivals writer tweeting B10 will take 5 teams (3 BE) split into 4 divisions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

I also just want this resolved.  Seriously, how does USF recruit a 2011 class with speculation such as this floating around.

Also, I honestly can't believe all this hype has been made just to see the big 10 take:

1.  Mizzou (historically awful. . . recently mediocre)

2.  Rutgers (historically awful. . . . recently mediocre)

3.  Neb (historically good. . . . . . but utterly irrelevant since 2001 Rose Bowl (seriously, its almost been 10 years)

4.  Pitt (historically mediocre. . . .currently mediocre)

5.  SU (historically mediocre. . . . currently awful).

Seriously, if this roster of teams destroys the BE (and, if you read the pundits, the Big12). . . they were never worth a **** anyway.

If the BE gets the service academies (grades, prestige and the Army/Navy game for our TV negs) and pulls down ECU, Memphis and UCF. . . . . .I will never be convinced that we won't have a respectable BCS level conference in 5 years.

I find it amazing how any USF fan can talk smack about other programs being mediocre.  What the h*ll has USF been?  Talk about a team that fades faster than 2 to 1 favorite at the Kentucky Derby... IT'S USF. 

Missouri is usually a bowl team most year going back to the 40s.  Just because they haven't won the Big8/Big12 the preception is they are awful.  It's far from the truth.

Nebraska has several national championships and that's something USF may never see.  Their puts them right up there with Ohio St., Michigan and a few select others.

Rutgers perception is build on rough times in the mid to late 90s with all the media coverage.  In reality they have been winners more than losers going back to the WW1.  Also they didn't help their perception in the past by a self imposed ban on bowl games for 20+ years even as several bowls approached them during the 50s, 60s and early 70s.

Pitt d*mn there have more national championships than fingers.  They too like Rutgers went through a rough time in the mid to late 90s.  They were lucky enough to have the national titles to fight out talk from some media people calling them out.  They seem to have righted the ship and on their way to being a solid team year in and year out.

SU has something USF doesn't... a national championship.  Up until '04 they were a solid program with a lot of tradion and well known players like Jim Brown and several other backs who wore #44.

What does USF have as far as history and current performance?

1) a crazy coach who finally got fired for some of the dumb crap they pulls yearly

2) over hyped players (Selvie & Grothe) who don't get draft because they really weren't good to start.

3) start fast (5-0) every year and fade to an after thought.

Tampabull:  everyone one of the teams on the list have a better following than USF.  Everyone of them have better tv ratings and fan support on the road which is the best indicator of a following.

Ok that has nothing to do with the big 10 though.  USF is not going to get invited into the big 10.  So what does USF's ratings have to do with these other schools ratings in regard to getting into the big 10.

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

I tend to agree with the point that if the Big East loses Pitt, SU and Rutgers....the Big East will not be dead. I don't know where Edsell or Trangese come up with, if more than one school leave then the conference is dead. Sure it may be weaker but these programs do not define the conference. If West Virgina left or Texas left the Big 12 then I could see a big problem.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I tend to agree with the point that if the Big East loses Pitt, SU and Rutgers....the Big East will not be dead. I don't know where Edsell or Trangese come up with, if more than one school leave then the conference is dead. Sure it may be weaker but these programs do not define the conference. If West Virgina left or Texas left the Big 12 then I could see a big problem.

That's the whole thing, you'd have to expect programs like WVU to leave if the Big East loses 3 programs.

• Content Count:  209

Ok that has nothing to do with the big 10 though.  USF is not going to get invited into the big 10.  So what does USF's ratings have to do with these other schools ratings in regard to getting into the big 10.

My first response was about trashing other teams when USF isn't better than any of the school listed.  Somehow it turned to USF having better attendance and how the other teams couldn't travel to the International Bowl.  The bottom line is posters on here are mad and in denial, so they are lashing out with false info.

• Content Count:  209

I tend to agree with the point that if the Big East loses Pitt, SU and Rutgers....the Big East will not be dead. I don't know where Edsell or Trangese come up with, if more than one school leave then the conference is dead. Sure it may be weaker but these programs do not define the conference. If West Virgina left or Texas left the Big 12 then I could see a big problem.  WVU is good, but not in the same league as Texas, USC or ND as far as national appeal.

You're in denial.  If Pitt, SU and Rutgers leave you better believe WVU is right behind them because they already said it themselves.  Pitt, SU and Rutgers account for more than half of the population for the BE football.  T.V. deals are made on potential viewers and when you take away 50% of the viewers networks take notice.  It's the main reason the Big 10 is looking at them.  You can fool yourself into thinking eastern NC, Orlando and Memphis is equal to NYC, Philly and Pittsburgh in potential viewers, but networks know the truth.

Where is West Virginia going to go?!? Yes they could leave to be an independant but only Bill Stewart believes they can go to the ACC or SEC. They are stuck unless the Big 12 invites them to take the 2 spots left by Mizzou and Nebraska but I don't see that.

Here is what will happen. The Big Ten is going to expand. The SEC and ACC will stand pat to see how the Big Ten expansion goes and will look into expansion down the road. The Big East will add 3 crappy C-USA schools and act like nothing has happened and continue to focus on Basketball. The Pac-10 may expand and in doing so could possibly kill the Mountain West conference. The Big East will continue to exist, they will keep their BCS tie in and it will be a lesser league but not by much....well less in Basketball but the league was already too strong so that is actually a bonus for people like USF.

Loss of Pitt= Biggest loss, good football and basketball program. This is where the hit would be. Addition of ECU, UCF, Memphis would be a downgrade.

Syracuse= Almost a wash with addition of Memphis. Good Basketball, Bad football. Somewhat of a downgrade.

Rutgers= Lose one of the most annoying fan bases to add a nearly equally annoying fanbase....UCF. Somewhat of a downgrade.

The Big East already has a relatively weak TV contract and most of it's strength comes from the fact that we will play any day of the week you tell us to. Losing Pitt, SU and Rutgers doesn't change that. ESPN knows they can put Western Kentucky vs. Troy on a Tuesday night and get better ratings from the bettors out there than anything else they can put on.

You're in denial.  If Pitt, SU and Rutgers leave you better believe WVU is right behind them because they already said it themselves.  Pitt, SU and Rutgers account for more than half of the population for the BE football.  T.V. deals are made on potential viewers and when you take away 50% of the viewers networks take notice.  It's the main reason the Big 10 is looking at them.  You can fool yourself into thinking eastern NC, Orlando and Memphis is equal to NYC, Philly and Pittsburgh in potential viewers, but networks know the truth.

PHILLY?!?

Who in Philadelphia is watching Big East football? Temple is gone and Villanova plays I-AA. Philly fan is a lot like NY fan or Boston fan. College football?....what is that? NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA Basketball in that order. They think of college football as like college baseball or lacrosse.

Archived