• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rivals writer tweeting B10 will take 5 teams (3 BE) split into 4 divisions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

I just want this expansion stuff to happen already to know where every school stands after the dust settles. With all this talk, I guess something will be done by July

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I also just want this resolved.  Seriously, how does USF recruit a 2011 class with speculation such as this floating around.

Also, I honestly can't believe all this hype has been made just to see the big 10 take:

1.  Mizzou (historically awful. . . recently mediocre)

2.  Rutgers (historically awful. . . . recently mediocre)

3.  Neb (historically good. . . . . . but utterly irrelevant since 2001 Rose Bowl (seriously, its almost been 10 years)

4.  Pitt (historically mediocre. . . .currently mediocre)

5.  SU (historically mediocre. . . . currently awful).

Seriously, if this roster of teams destroys the BE (and, if you read the pundits, the Big12). . . they were never worth a **** anyway.

If the BE gets the service academies (grades, prestige and the Army/Navy game for our TV negs) and pulls down ECU, Memphis and UCF. . . . . .I will never be convinced that we won't have a respectable BCS level conference in 5 years.

• Content Count:  771

I also just want this resolved.  Seriously, how does USF recruit a 2011 class with speculation such as this floating around.

Also, I honestly can't believe all this hype has been made just to see the big 10 take:

3.  Neb (historically good. . . . . . but utterly irrelevant since 2001 Rose Bowl (seriously, its almost been 10 years)

Seriously, if this roster of teams destroys the BE (and, if you read the pundits, the Big12). . . they were never worth a **** anyway.

If the BE gets the service academies (grades, prestige and the Army/Navy game for our TV negs) and pulls down ECU, Memphis and UCF. . . . . .I will never be convinced that we won't have a respectable BCS level conference in 5 years.

pitt had a pretty good team last year and will have a good team this year, so i disagree with that.  doesn't matter how awful they are it matters how many tv's tune into those respected universities.  nebraska, mizzou, pitt have pretty big following.  I don't know about the cuse and rutgers though.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

pitt had a pretty good team last year and will have a good team this year, so i disagree with that.  doesn't matter how awful they are it matters how many tv's tune into those respected universities.  nebraska, mizzou, pitt have pretty big following.  I don't know about the cuse and rutgers though.

Correct. play on the field really has nothing to do with it. It is more about the fanbase and the TV markets.

• Content Count:  60

I agree with everything being written.  In addition, these teams have no chance to knock the traditional powers (Ohio St & Mich) from their throne as the top dog.  In my opinion, if the SEC expands they do not want a dominating team in the conference.  They already have several of them.  Maybe this is why Clemson would be a good fit.  At the end of the day, it is about the school maxing out their earning potential not the confernce (eg Notre Dame & BCS money to keep for themselves & independent).  I wish every Div 1-A conference had AQ to the BCS.  How many of the bottem feeder teams in a tough BCS Conference would join an easier conference for easier access to the money.

• Content Count:  209

I find it amazing how any USF fan can talk smack about other programs being mediocre.  What the h*ll has USF been?  Talk about a team that fades faster than 2 to 1 favorite at the Kentucky Derby... IT'S USF. 

Missouri is usually a bowl team most year going back to the 40s.  Just because they haven't won the Big8/Big12 the preception is they are awful.  It's far from the truth.

Nebraska has several national championships and that's something USF may never see.  Their puts them right up there with Ohio St., Michigan and a few select others.

Rutgers perception is build on rough times in the mid to late 90s with all the media coverage.  In reality they have been winners more than losers going back to the WW1.  Also they didn't help their perception in the past by a self imposed ban on bowl games for 20+ years even as several bowls approached them during the 50s, 60s and early 70s.

Pitt d*mn there have more national championships than fingers.  They too like Rutgers went through a rough time in the mid to late 90s.  They were lucky enough to have the national titles to fight out talk from some media people calling them out.  They seem to have righted the ship and on their way to being a solid team year in and year out.

SU has something USF doesn't... a national championship.  Up until '04 they were a solid program with a lot of tradion and well known players like Jim Brown and several other backs who wore #44.

What does USF have as far as history and current performance?

1) a crazy coach who finally got fired for some of the dumb crap they pulls yearly

2) over hyped players (Selvie & Grothe) who don't get draft because they really weren't good to start.

3) start fast (5-0) every year and fade to an after thought.

Tampabull:  everyone one of the teams on the list have a better following than USF.  Everyone of them have better tv ratings and fan support on the road which is the best indicator of a following.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I find it amazing how any USF fan can talk smack about other programs being mediocre.  What the h*ll has USF been?  Talk about a team that fades faster than 2 to 1 favorite at the Kentucky Derby... IT'S USF. 

Missouri is usually a bowl team most year going back to the 40s.  Just because they haven't won the Big8/Big12 the preception is they are awful.  It's far from the truth.

Nebraska has several national championships and that's something USF may never see.  Their puts them right up there with Ohio St., Michigan and a few select others.

Rutgers perception is build on rough times in the mid to late 90s with all the media coverage.  In reality they have been winners more than losers going back to the WW1.  Also they didn't help their perception in the past by a self imposed ban on bowl games for 20+ years even as several bowls approached them during the 50s, 60s and early 70s.

Pitt d*mn there have more national championships than fingers.  They too like Rutgers went through a rough time in the mid to late 90s.  They were lucky enough to have the national titles to fight out talk from some media people calling them out.  They seem to have righted the ship and on their way to being a solid team year in and year out.

SU has something USF doesn't... a national championship.  Up until '04 they were a solid program with a lot of tradion and well known players like Jim Brown and several other backs who wore #44.

What does USF have as far as history and current performance?

1) a crazy coach who finally got fired for some of the dumb crap they pulls yearly

2) over hyped players (Selvie & Grothe) who don't get draft because they really weren't good to start.

3) start fast (5-0) every year and fade to an after thought.

Tampabull:  everyone one of the teams on the list have a better following than USF.  Everyone of them have better tv ratings and fan support on the road which is the best indicator of a following.

Well if you base the following on average attendance to games......actually USF has a larger following (in football) than Rutgers or SU. USF averaged 52,553 per game compared to Pitt which had 53,446. Pretty comparable. Obviously, Nebraska and Mizzou average much more. Conversely, you can make the argument that it is amazing that a school without the history of Pitt, Cuse or Rutgers could average as much as if not more than those programs. Also, USF did bring over 12,000 fans to the road FSU game. I don't think any of those schools would have brought many fans to Toronto to see the international bowl.

• Content Count:  209

Well if you base the following on average attendance to games......actually USF has a larger following (in football) than Rutgers or SU. USF averaged 52,553 per game compared to Pitt which had 53,446. Pretty comparable. Obviously, Nebraska and Mizzou average much more. Conversely, you can make the argument that it is amazing that a school without the history of Pitt, Cuse or Rutgers could average as much as if not more than those programs. Also, USF did bring over 12,000 fans to the road FSU game. I don't think any of those schools would have brought many fans to Toronto to see the international bowl.

Each of the schools listed have better t.v. ratings than USF which is the driving force behind conference expansions talks. 

Pitt facts: similar attendance, but greater history and t.v. numbers than USF.  Better program on the field and in perception.  Something that USF can't counter against Pitt.

Nebraska facts:  They took 35K to the gator against Clemson 2 or 3 years ago.  Having played against them at Colorado, their fans are great respectful and will travel to the end of the earth to support their team.  The International Bowl would have been a sellout if they were invited.

Rutgers facts:  RU stadium expansion saw their attendance jump from 41k to 49K (stadium max-52K) in one year.  They had over 20K for the spring game.  They took 14K to the International Bowl, 12K to the Insight Bowl, 17K to the Texas Bowl and 11K to the St. Peter's Bowl.  Had 4K or 5K in Tampa against USF during the regular season.  The t.v. market is just starting to be tapped.  Look at some of the ratings when they play.

Missouri facts:  again having played in that conference the market for Missouri (St. Louis & Kansas City) is superior to Tampa in viewers and support.  Even with their worst teams they average at least 50K in a 65K stadium.  They still have a ways to go in traveling to support their team.  They will flock to top tier game, but have trouble with 2nd and 3rd tier bowl games.

I'll help you bash Syracuse if you want. ;D

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I still find it hard to believe that the Big 10 would take 5 teams and ND wouldn't be one of them. Have to take this all with a grain of salt.

The 4 division format sounds like an awful idea. You're going to have the 4 division Champions play over 2 weeks to crown the league Champion? 

Archived