• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I am glad USF did not make a bowl game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

I am kind of glad that USF did not make a bowl game because the fan support for that would be embarrassing. Hopefully, USF keeps winning, but not get the bowl invite until the fans jump on the bandwagon. Can you imagine how bad our fan turnout would be if USF made the GatorBowl next season?? The BIG EAST would surely lose that bowl because USF would not be able to sell enough tickets. I know I am coming down hard on USF right now, but I am sick and tired of our laid back atittude right now. No wonder there are no partys for being invited to the BIG EAST because noone gives a crap about USF. The truth hurts, but it has to be said.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

I am kind of glad that USF did not make a bowl game because the fan support for that would be embarrassing. Hopefully, USF keeps winning, but not get the bowl invite until the fans jump on the bandwagon. Can you imagine how bad our fan turnout would be if USF made the GatorBowl next season?? The BIG EAST would surely lose that bowl because USF would not be able to sell enough tickets. I know I am coming down hard on USF right now, but I am sick and tired of our laid back atittude right now. No wonder there are no partys for being invited to the BIG EAST because noone gives a crap about USF. The truth hurts, but it has to be said.

I'm as sick as anybody about the attendance situation, but I think you're way off base on this one.  Let's say that USF had gotten to the Gator Bowl this year as the Big East representative (the bowl you mentioned).  We would have had to have finished somewhere closer to 8-3.  This being USF's first ever bowl game and requiring virtually no travel, I guarantee you USF would have sold out their allotment of bowl tickets and then some.  Throw in that the opponent is Florida State, and it's a dream come true for many USF fans.  As has been said, the fair weather fans will come out of the woodwork.  

Now, with that said, losing is certainly not the only problem.  Our attendance woes have been largely brought on by our own athletic department.  When you sell your soul to the devil to get your game on TV and move the kickoffs to 11 am, you alienate the people who you're counting on to buy those tickets.  When you can't be bothered to market your product, you're just counting on your faithful alumni to show up and attend the game.  There doesn't seem to be a creative thinker anywhere in the whole damned athletic department.  You want students at an 11 am kickoff?  You create the equivalent of Greenbergopolis at RJS on Friday night and have a pancake breakfast before the game.  You offer $1000 to the fraternity/sorority that brings the most fans to the game toward their new house.  You hire local radio stations to broadcast from outside the stadium the morning of the game.  You offer to play the intramural championship game at halftime of the game.  You hit every lecture in every big classroom on Thursday or Friday before the game.  There is no excuse whatsoever for not filling the student section every game.  

USFFan

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usffan for marketing director of usf athletics

bb2000 you will be really glad next year

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

USF would neve sell out their allotment for tickets. USF does not travel well at all, and their home attendence sucks. If I was on the bowl committee, I would not chose USF because of the lack of support by the fans. USF could not sell any of their ticket allotments for the UL game which was pretty embarrassing because we were still in it. I doubt USF will be able to sell more than 5k tickets to the Gator Bowl. That is embarrassing.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think my son or any of the other players share your opinion and either do I.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

Huh? Are you  a working adult or a student?

Did you attend any road games this year? How many do you hit per year?

Personally, I'm only good for one per year and it definately depends on the opponent and locale. Next fall, it'll probably be 'Cuse.

USF would travel well to a bowl game. Why? Because to get there you have to WIN your way in.  This business about winning the next two out of three to become eligible (not invited, eligible) wore me out. The easiest way to get into a bowl...win.  

So I'd be leery about saying that fan response to a 4-7 team is indicitive of what USF  would or would not do.

BTW: The away games that I travel to, they're tied directly to locale. If I'm going to burn a vacation day, there better be something better than Hattiesburg, Fort Worth, Louisville, or Cincinnati to warrant the expense.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  686
  • Content Count:  7,657
  • Days Won:  6

BTW: The away games that I travel to, they're tied directly to locale. If I'm going to burn a vacation day, there better be something better than Hattiesburg, Fort Worth, Louisville, or Cincinnati to warrant the expense.

You ever been to Syracuse?  I'm not sure I would burn a vacation day for that.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

You ever been to Syracuse?  I'm not sure I would burn a vacation day for that.

You're not paying attention. The Syracuse game is in addition to spending some vacation time in New York....hence the previous reference to Hattiesburg & Fort Worth.  We've done the  Manhattan gig, now we can do the upstate thing.

I do not travel just to watch a three-hour football game.  I'm a bulls fan, but I do have my limits.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I gotta agree with a lot of the views, but bottom line boils down to wins. Every team goes through it, wins + enthusiasm = FANS.    Aint' no two ways about it. You wanna be big time, GET INVOLVED and bring friends, Wear your Green & Gold, and buy a licence plate for your car. Every little thing helps.    Enthusiasm is contagious !!!