• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCONN at South Florida preview and game thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

South Florida vs. Connecticut Game Preview

GAME NOTES: Big East Conference action will take place this afternoon at the USF Sun Dome when the South Florida Bulls host the Connecticut Huskies.

The Huskies' chances to play in the NCAA Tournament are slowly slipping away, as the team continues to struggle in important matchups. UConn has lost its last two games, including a critical, 58-50 setback to Notre Dame on Wednesday.

The Bulls pushed their league mark to 8-9 on the season with a 63-59 victory over DePaul. It was the second straight win for South Florida, which is a solid 10-4 at home this year.

The Huskies have dominated the all-time series against South Florida, winning all seven meetings.

The Huskies were ice cold in their last matchup, as they scored just 50 points in a loss to Notre Dame. Connecticut shot just 35.4 percent from the field, and finished just 3-of-14 from behind the arc. Kemba Walker led the way in the loss with 15 points, while Gavin Edwards added a double-double of 10 points and 11 rebounds. Jerome Dyson also tallied 10 points in the setback. Despite the poor showing in the loss, the Huskies have been solid on the season at the offensive end of the floor, netting 71.3 ppg, behind a 45.1 percent shooting effort. Dyson is leading the team with 18.2 ppg and has dished out 134 assists. Robinson is contributing 15.2 ppg and is pulling down a team-best 7.8 rpg, while Walker is posting 14.8 ppg, to go along with 157 assists.

The Bulls only scored 63 points in their last contest, but the team still managed to grab a four-point win over DePaul. South Florida shot 38.5 percent from the floor in the contest, but connected on 21-of-29 attempts from the foul line. Dominique Jones led the way in the win with 29 points, to go along with seven rebounds, while Chris Howard and Augustus Gilchrist tallied 13 and 11 points, respectively. The Bulls have been mediocre at the offensive end of the floor, netting just 68.5 ppg. Jones is clearly the best player on the floor for USF, as the guard is posting 21.4 ppg, to go along with 107 assists and 6.2 rpg. Gilchrist is contributing 14.7 ppg and 6.4 rpg, while Jarrid Famous is posting 10.8 ppg, to go along with 7.6 rpg.

The Bulls might be home in this contest, but it is unlikely they will be able to keep up with a Connecticut squad that is in desperate need of a victory.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/sports/cbaskm/game.aspx?sched=45175

We shall see about that >:(

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UCONN desperate for a win today

TAMPA, Fla. - — When UConn arrived back in Connecticut Wednesday night after an ugly loss at Notre Dame, Jim Calhoun figured the best thing for everyone would be a little break. There were various minor injuries and a collective bruised ego.

So Calhoun called off practice Thursday, very rare two days before a game, and told players they were not to come in for shooting drills or individual workouts.

"I didn't want to see them and I didn't want them to see me," Calhoun said. "I told them I don't want them near the gym. Really unusual."

"A mental health day," Gavin Edwards called it.

"Good for our bodies," Jerome Dyson said, "and just good to get away."

Having regrouped for practice Friday on campus, the Huskies arrived in Tampa Friday night. Today at the Sun Dome, UConn will play South Florida to close a regular season that has left the Huskies with a lot of work to do in the Big East tournament. The loss to Notre Dame, which featured one of the poorer stretches of offense in recent program history, was UConn's second in a row.

"I've talked to enough people who have a feel for where we are," Calhoun said. "We aren't dead yet. They had to feel deeply for our pulse, and they found it. We put ourselves in a big hole if we don't get a win. It's that simple. It's nothing complex. Clearly, if we want to play in the NCAA Tournament, and we have a good enough basketball team to do that, we're going to have to win games. It's not much more complex than that. We're going to be on a tightrope if we don't win [today]."

UConn (17-13, 7-10 Big East) is looking up in the standings at South Florida (18-11, 8-9), which used a four-game winning streak in late January to play itself into NCAA consideration. While much more was expected of UConn and much less expected of the Bulls, both teams have been inconsistent this season.

"I've seen UConn be really, really good and I've seen them struggle — no different than us," coach Stan Heath said. "But they rebound the ball so well, and they are exceptional in transition. And we've got to be very careful around the basket because they change a lot of shots and block a lot of shots. And guys like Dyson, [Kemba] Walker, and [stanley] Robinson, those three perimeter players on any given night can come up huge."

Beating South Florida means limiting spectacular guard Dominique Jones, who averages 21.4 points a game and scored 46 at Providence. Robinson, who held Jones to 14 points last season on 5-for-18 shooting, will start with the defensive assignment. Forward Augustus Gilchrist averages 14.7 points and 6.4 rebounds.

"If we focus in for a good 40 minutes, good things will happen," Calhoun said. "Jones is one of the best scorers not only in our league, but in the country. When Gilchrist [plays well] he's one of the best big guys in our league. ... They're a team on the rise, in my opinion. Jones has been the guy and we're going to have to give him a lot of attention."

UConn has struggled on a number of fronts. In addition to turnovers — 22 against Louisville and 15 against Notre Dame — two of its most important players, seniors Dyson and Robinson, have been absent or erratic in stretches. Walker has been great lately. Edwards, coming off his first two double-doubles of the season, has been more dependable than anyone, but UConn can't have a repeat of what it got out of Dyson (10 points) and Robinson (six) in South Bend, Ind.

Alex Oriakhi will move back into the starting lineup after coming off the bench and going scoreless in a season-low eight minutes at Notre Dame.

The Huskies, 2-7 on the road, will return home after the game and open Big East tournament play Tuesday at Madison Square Garden against an opponent to be determined. While there are no set number of games to win, a final turnaround is needed to avoid the NIT.

"We're in a have-to-win situation," Calhoun said.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-men-vs.-south-florida-.artmar06,0,3615070.story

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This is a huge game for USF.

Above and beyond the NCAA Tournament implications I think this game sets the tone for the future of the program.

My biggest concern is that in the entire history of USF sports our we rarely show up for a big game. This has been pervasive in every sport. A win today could be a turning point for men's bb. They need to show everyone, probably themselves more than anyone else, they know how to win. Once they do, the future is bright.

This is also a big game for Jones. He has disappeared in most big games this year. He needs to show he can be a big time player in a big game. Again, this has been lacking from our star players in all our sports. If Jones is even thinking about coming out this year he needs to take control early and lead the team on the floor in every way.

• Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

I'm very excited about this one. A chance to beat UConn ( I think) for the first time in our history, and the opportunity to go .500 in the conference. Furthermore with a win we are probably on the bubble again and who knows what can happen in the BE tournament.

If we play like we did against DePaul we will probably not win. In order to win USF needs to come out and play hard and with a lot of confidence. Players cannot shy away from good shots like they have in the last few games, and we need to limit tunovers. If we can do that we have a chance!

Go Bulls!!!!

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

and we are not desperate for a victory? who ever wrote that article doesn't know what they're talking about.

and we are not desperate for a victory? who ever wrote that article doesn't know what they're talking about.

We know that and the coaches know it. Let's hope the players know that. I'll be real disappointed if we don't bring the intensity from tip to finish today. It's the last home game for Chris Howard, Rivas, and maybe Mike Mercer. Let's send these guys off with a victory.

• Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

They are introducing the seniors now.

Must try and keep UCONN in the halfcourt.

That's Jones has to do. He will have Robinson on him today and if he can get him in foul trouble that helps USF

Archived