• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cleveland Melvin reopens his recruitment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Former Lake Clifton standout Cleveland Melvin has made a change in his college plans. cleveland-melvin.jpg

The 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward committed to UConn in November, but FoxSports.com’s Jeff Goodman reported that Melvin reopened his recruitment today. Melvin’s AAU coach at Cecil Kirk, Anthony Lewis, confirmed the news and said the parting of ways was mutual.

“Basically, he’s just looking to be more of a 3-man,†Lewis said. “So he just wanted to open the process back up and see where everything is going.â€

Melvin, who is doing a post-grad year at Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass., is mainly looking at seven schools.

“Right now it’s Marquette, Pitt, Seton Hall, South Florida, Miami, DePaul and TCU,†Lewis said. “Those are the ones I know of.â€

Lewis said Melvin doesn’t want to rush his decision, but also doesn’t want a “long, drawn-out process.†He’ll start making visits after NDP’s season concludes.

“I think [his time at Notre Dame Prep] has been great for him,†Lewis said. “It’s given him the opportunity to develop into a 3-man, not just talk about it. He's gotten the opportunity to do what he wants to do, so I think it’s been great.â€

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/recruiting/2010/03/cleveland_melvin_reopens_recruitment.html

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Isn't ND Prep the same school Chris Howard went to for a year?  I may be wrong there.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Isn't ND Prep the same school Chris Howard went to for a year?  I may be wrong there.

He briefly attended there, before transferring to Florida Tech to concentrate on his grades:

From Greg Auman 9/9/09:

-- One more name to share: Cleveland Melvin, a 6-7 forward from Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass., where former Bulls guard Gaby Belardo prepped and point guard Chris Howard briefly attended. Notre Dame coach Ryan Hurd said USF is in the mix for Melvin, who he calls "a big wing that attacks the rim" and is drawing interest from USF, Connecticut, Seton Hall, TCU and Missouri. Melvin is from Baltimore, so he's another guy with good ties to Skeeters -- Hurd said he expects USF to visit "in the near future."

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/09/usf-hoops-coaches-out-visiting-top-recruits.html

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Edit: Howard went to Florida Prep but did not play basketball. I don't think he was allowed, because he had been enrolled at ND Prep previously.

• Content Count:  247
  • Days Won:  0

This is the type of wing heath needs for his last schollie. I remember i was so disappointed when he committed to uconn.  Lets hope we can pull him here.

• Content Count:  4,016

This is the type of wing heath needs for his last schollie. I remember i was so disappointed when he committed to uconn.  Lets hope we can pull him here.

I think we need to try an add 1-2 impact players next month.  Melvin would do or Haynes both seem to be the same type of player, and then a JP Lockridge, or Palsson a wing type with a long span that can hit threes.  We need an outside game and Lockridge or Palsson can provide that...it's critical at this point because right now we're a bad shooting team, and bringing in a couple of 6ft guards isn't going to solve things...a perimeter with Crater, Dority and Haynes roaming isn't going to scare anyone in the A10 let alone the BE.

Palsson committed to Maryland.

• Content Count:  4,016

Palsson committed to Maryland.

darn, we could have used a player like him.  I saw the ACC schools started jumping on him but didn't realize he committed already.

Heath wanted this guy real bad before he committed to UCONN. Now we get a second chance so hopefully Coach Skeeters and Heath can pull it off. I would love to have an athletic freak like this on the roster. If he can develop some perimeter skills better look out.

• Content Count:  1,913

Howard didn't play at Florida Prep. Went down there and watched a game with him. FHSAA rules say if you've already had four years of HS eligibility, you can't play for an FHSAA school.

Archived