• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Had a chance to meet with Holtz and coaching staff last night

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,453
  • Days Won:  19

They were all very personable and impressive.  I was particularly impressed with Coach Snyder and Coach Smith.  They spoke highly of their ties to Wally Burnham, the high esteem in which they held him and how he told them he really loved it here and plans to return some day.  The coaches all also seem genuinely happy to be in Tampa and excited about all the  opportunities presented by USF and the Tampa Bay area.  Holtz told me he is looking forward to settling in south Tampa and getting his son enrolled at Plant High which he chose over private school because of (a) the academics, (B) the football and lacrosse programs and © the girls.  Sounds like a smart kid with the proper priorities in life.

All this sincerity and enthusiasm really is contagious.  I'm hoping it spreads to players, recruits, fans and boosters and translates to success on and off the field.  I'm not a pollyanna and know we still face a lot of challenges.  Still I believe USF's time has come -- again.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Yeah-met with him at the Mainsail luncheon...he was very impressive.  After talking with CSH and hearing him speak, I wanted to play for him....great passion and a great salesman

• Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Clearly, Coach Holtz and I disagree on the school girls component. Private school girls are choice.

• Content Count:  7,890

Interesting on Wally and how he would like to return to the bay area. I don't think people realize how many good coaches JL chased away from the program because of his micro managing of everything. On the coaching staff I've spoken to almost all of the holdovers and you can really see a renewed excitement in them. They seem very excited to have the chance to coach their positions the way they feel is best without the Obama of USF football coming down on them.

• Content Count:  4,879

The 'will return to Tampa someday' theme really cannot be too overplayed in regards to being able to keep good coaches at USF.  This truly is one of the choicest locations in which to coach BCS football.  When this is combined with a true 'we are family' culture, well as Skip says, "The sky is the limit."

Archived