• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Verpaele Named to Freshman All-America Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

not sure he deserves it....but maybe there are not many freshman playing as much as he did this season at other schools?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,420
  • Days Won:  43

Like I told some of you earlier this season that Verpaele is not the one to blame. The kid played his heart out with little help in the secondary. He made some big hits that will no doubt scare alot of WR from catching that ball in the next few years.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Not even close to deserving it.  But whatever...

Those that don't think he deserves it, what better freshman got left off because of Verpaele's selection?

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

congrats. now build on this year and get bigger and better

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

This is Freshman All-American, not All-American. Danny's stats speak for themselves.  Danny was in position to make numerous plays.  Sure he was knocked back, or didn't finish a tackle because he was too small or overpursued but the point was he was there, and made plays.  If he had a competent safety mate instead of Camon he might have made Danny look better instead of forcing Kevin to make every **** play.

Few freshman are starting 8 games at strong safety in the 1-A level.  Danny had two sacks, a few TFL, and a fumble recovery to go with numerous tackles.  The positive is once Danny works his ass off, and he'll do it, he has the knowledge, speed, and skills to be amazing.  This year he hit that RB and got dragged for one or two yards (that's life as a freshman starter), but in the future he's going to knock those RB's flat on their asses just like his brother did.

The key is to use this as motivation, and not let it go to his head.  I think having his brother as a grad assistant will force him to push to greater strides, and make more of his opportunity.  Look at what Kevin did, and by his own admittance Danny's taller, and faster than he was.  Imagine what Danny will do if he takes this accolade and uses it to make himself faster, bigger, and stronger!

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  100

I know he is a freshman, but he couldn't tackle a five year old.  He doesn't even fill out his pads and jersey.  He needs to talk to Greg Anderson and get "the clear" and "the cream," as do just about all of our defensive players.  They need to unleash some serious roid rage next year.

Seriously, he got baptized by fire and hopefully it will help him down the road.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Its a sad thing when USF fans knock their own player for getting an award.  I still haven't seen anyone answer Bullievers question if not Danny then who ?

Guest HowieP1
Danny, Peyton and Moffit were all named freshman C-USA team

Who was snubbed? Punter Brandon Baker ranked second in the conference in punting average and helped USF lead C-USA in net punting, but he wasn't one of the two punters honored. And in the all-freshman balloting, USF didn't nominate linebacker Ronnie McCullough , who had 12 more tackles than Moffitt.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/12/08/Sports/RB_Hall_leads_the_lis.shtml