• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who are Our Top 5 new recruits?

Matt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

im excited about claude davis.  i think he is this years JPP.  i saw him play in the FL/GA all star game and he looked like the best player in that game.  too bad he didnt have the grades out of HS.

but he will be a force next year.

Leslie Sturpps is still gonna play at USF isnt he?

Claude should be pretty good.  As I recall he was our first committed recruit in 2007.

I would not count on Leslie.  He was underwhelming on the field this past season.  This is his last season of eligibility.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

yea leslie wasnt too solid this past year but he barely got on the field.  i still think he has it in him and back against the wall might bring the talent out of him. 

he is just another shining example of why the stars system doesnt mean a whole lot.

Leslie was behind Keith McCaskill, Aaron Harris, Corey Grissom and Terrel McClain on the depth chart.  Even with true freshman Anthony Hill.  That's not a murderer's row at the DT position to beat out.

which lends to my point about the star system not meaning a whole lot in the long run.  leslie was a 4 star but that was mostly based on his size.  had nothing to do with what was going on in his head.

• Content Count:  578

Seeing that we're actively recruiting LB's, it would be really nice to grab Lavonte David, 4-star JUCO (1st Team All-American) originally out of Miami. That would be a best case scenario in my mind. Plus he's committed to Nebraska and these recruiting battles lately have been kind of fun. Especially with the Fort Scott guys.

which lends to my point about the star system not meaning a whole lot in the long run.  leslie was a 4 star but that was mostly based on his size.  had nothing to do with what was going on in his head.

As to an individual recruit the stars are meaningless.  As someone who does follow recruiting I will agree on this.  However, a class of 4 stars will generally be better than a class of 2 stars and the reason for that is primarily the margin of error.

Seeing that we're actively recruiting LB's, it would be really nice to grab Lavonte David, 4-star JUCO (1st Team All-American) originally out of Miami. That would be a best case scenario in my mind. Plus he's committed to Nebraska and these recruiting battles lately have been kind of fun. Especially with the Fort Scott guys.

Up to David what he wants to do.  Unless the Fort Scott coach locks up the fax machine again.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Up to David what he wants to do.  Unless the Fort Scott coach locks up the fax machine again.

David is a solid lock at NU as of today.

NU image glows in prospects' eyes

By Mitch Sherman

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU « Big Red TodayRSS SHARE

DiggNewsvinedel.icio.usRedditFacebookTwitterCOMMENTS (0) PRINT EMAIL Related News

» Win is just as Doc ordered

» College Football: Gilyard steals...

» Huskers pull away, hit 6-0 in Big 12

» NU depends on defense

LINCOLN — One way or another, this is going to be a signing day to remember for Nebraska.

The Huskers' top remaining prospects in recruiting, defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa of Portland, Ore., safety Corey Cooper of Maywood, Ill., and quarterback Brion Carnes of Bradenton, Fla., appear set to make Wednesday announcements.

All three have visited Nebraska and rank the Huskers among their top choices.

Advertising

And if the momentum surging around NU football during the past two months is any indication, Wednesday may generate a few good memories for the Huskers.

“We've really started to create a reputation,†defensive coordinator Carl Pelini said. “It's night and day from two years ago. Not only the parents, but the (high school) coaches and everyone are so much more receptive.

“You know, toward the end of the season, we felt like we were back — that Nebraska football was back. It shows when you go on the road and there's a genuine excitement when you show up.â€

Pelini said he noticed a difference after the Huskers' 13-12 loss to Texas in the Big 12 championship game. The game was televised nationally in prime time and involved a national-title contender. Despite the loss on a field goal as time expired, clearly, NU represented itself well.

And people noticed.

Nebraska followed that performance with a 33-0 dismantling of Arizona in the Holiday Bowl. Throw in the wave of publicity that has surrounded Heisman finalist and projected top NFL draft pick Ndamukong Suh, and it's a recipe for recruiting success.

“I think recruits are starting to develop a familiarity with our program and what we're about, what we stand for,†Pelini said. “The sell job is just much easier at this point.â€

Those projections for next season don't hurt, either, Pelini said. Several publications rank Nebraska on early top 10 lists for 2010.

Since the Big 12 championship game, the Huskers have collected commitments from junior-college stars Jermarcus Hardrick, an offensive lineman; and linebacker Lavonte David of Fort Scott (Kan.) CC; running back Braylon Heard; receiver-defensive back Kenny Bell and quarterback-safety Bronson Marsh of Millard South.

Their class is nearly full, with 19 pledges, though room remains for Carnes, Cooper and Odighizuwa.

“That would be a major boost,†said Tom Lemming, CBS College Sports recruiting expert. “If they get those guys, they would be three of the best guys in the class.â€

The timing of the push is no coincidence in the third season of recruiting under coach Bo Pelini.

“It's one thing to say we're a new staff and that we just got hired and we're going to create some excitement around Nebraska football,†Carl Pelini said. “It's another when you've shown evidence of it on the field.â€

But not everything in recruiting connects to the field of play.

Jeff Ketron, coach at Castle Rock (Colo.) Douglas County High School, said he formed his impression of Nebraska football through communication with the coaches.

Ketron coaches offensive lineman Mike Moudy, who accepted a Nebraska scholarship in April. Moudy hasn't wavered a bit, Ketron said, before offering unsolicited praise of the NU staff.

“We've had a Division I kid for 11 straight years,†the Colorado prep coach said, “and Nebraska is at the top. I'll tell you, the state of Nebraska is very fortunate to have those guys. They're not used-car salesman. They're not trying to sell you something.

“When they were here for a visit, a lot of people came in and wanted to speak with Coach Pelini. I was very impressed with how he handled it — just on top of things all the way. The best I've ever seen, and I've been a coach for 21 years.â€

The sequence of events in recruiting during the past several months has allowed the Huskers to focus on 2011.

And it's working — Nebraska has collected three pledges for next year, including a commitment last week from quarterback Jamal Turner of Arlington, Texas.

“Really, we're way ahead,†Carl Pelini said. “And in our third year, we should be. In past years, a lot of our junior evaluation didn't even start until after spring ball when you're about to hit the road. That's happening now, so it's been a very productive month for us.â€

Contact the writer:

402-444-1031, mitch.sherman@owh.com

As to an individual recruit the stars are meaningless.  As someone who does follow recruiting I will agree on this.  However, a class of 4 stars will generally be better than a class of 2 stars and the reason for that is primarily the margin of error.

oh dont get me wrong.  the more stars the merrier for our guys.  i would love a class full of 4 star guys.

but we arent there yet.  so when i see our fans get so excited over the one 4star guy we got or the one 4 star guy we lost...i dont get too worked up.

by the way...Bo Penlini is a helluva coach and Nebraska will be back to a powerhouse soon.

Archived