• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeremy Deering to visit USF this weekend

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/recruiting/2010/jan/26/deering-down-to-two/

"Leto's Jeremy Deering has narrowed his college decision down to two schools - Florida State and Rutgers, Falcons recruiting coordinator Frank Rose said. Deering just returned from an official visit to Rutgers this weekend, which he said went well. Also, even though he's taken all five official visits, Deering is going to make an unofficial visit to USF this weekend. -EDUARDO A. ENCINA"

I still wonder if Deering is in play. He is a track star as well, so perhaps he, TREX, Lamar, Griffin, and Hopkins can make some waves together on the track and football field.

Yes, I know that I am dominating this thread. But I found this interesting regarding "unofficial visits":

The prospect pays the travel costs for the unofficial visit whereas the school pays the travel costs for an official visit.

An official visit cannot exceed 48 hours whereas there is no time limit on an unofficial visit.

Lodging can be provided to a recruit on an official visit whereas lodging is out of his pocket on an unofficial visit. The same is true with meals, entertainment, and on campus parking.

A school can publicize a prospect's official visit whereas they cannot mention a prospect's unofficial visit.

There is a lot of paperwork differences as well.

**I wonder if that's why he didn't show up on the TBO list? Anybody know?

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, I know that I am dominating this thread. But I found this interesting regarding "unofficial visits":

The prospect pays the travel costs for the unofficial visit whereas the school pays the travel costs for an official visit.

An official visit cannot exceed 48 hours whereas there is no time limit on an unofficial visit.

Lodging can be provided to a recruit on an official visit whereas lodging is out of his pocket on an unofficial visit. The same is true with meals, entertainment, and on campus parking.

A school can publicize a prospect's official visit whereas they cannot mention a prospect's unofficial visit.

There is a lot of paperwork differences as well.

**I wonder if that's why he didn't show up on the TBO list? Anybody know?

It is, and I also believe unofficial visitors can not be taken or toured by the staff off campus.  Meaning Deering couldn't partake in the events the staff plan for recruits off campus- Busch Gardens, Dinner Cruise, a ride to the cruise.  He couldn't go into the stadium.

Now if he happened to show-up there at the same as the players and coaches and has dinner on his own.... :-X

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

hmm.

Hillsborough County:

Leto’s Deering will announce college decision on live TV

Posted Jan 28, 2010 at 01:22 PM

Updated Jan 28, 2010 at 02:02 PM

The recruiting process is winding down for Leto’s Jeremy Deering.

From nearly 30 Division I scholarship offers, he’s down to two – Florida State and Rutgers. The Falcons leading rusher and one of the top running backs in the county the past three seasons will either suit up for the Seminoles or the Scarlett Knights.

Deering will announce his college decision Tuesday during the 6 p.m. newscast on NewsChannel 8/TBO.com.

“It’s been a long road,†Deering said. “I went through all the schools to figure out what each one was all about and then just tried to find the right fit for me.â€

His final schools have poured on the charm and shown Deering a lot of love. FSU’s Jimbo Fisher’s been a regular at Leto since he took over as head coach of the Seminoles. So have the Rutgers coaches.

Two Rutgers coaches flew to Tampa on Thursday morning to meet with Deering and take him out to dinner later tonight to make their final pitch. FSU took their final shot at Deering earlier this week.

Deering narrowed his original long list of colleges to five and took officials visits beginning last fall. The first school he visited, one of the original colleges that took an interest in him, was Purdue. He then visited Illinois and Florida.

He eliminated those three schools this week and spent a day with former Leto head coach Hugh Dehnert going over the pros and cons of his final two and ultimately what Deering wants in college.

“It’s a combination of playing time, academics and how comfortable I am with the coaches and players,†he said.

Deering said the toughest part of the entire process has been telling coaches no, that he wouldn’t be joining their program.

“It’s something they don’t want to hear and something I didn’t want to have to do, but it has to be done,†he said. “Ultimately, I’ve got a feeling and I’ve got to trust it.â€

You can check out Deering’s live announcement on NewsChannel 8/TBO.com Tuesday during the 6 p.m.

Why is he at USF this weekend? It can't be a plasure visit because it's unofficial and he isn't getting any of the perks.

• Content Count:  4,016

this is a tough one to read as tough as Deering has been to read all year.  I guess time will tell since none of us will know until after the fact how seriously Jeremy takes the unofficial.  Technically he could, out of courtesy and respect drop by to see the coaches and call it an unofficial.  Now if he sticks around, hangs on campus all weekend, meets with Skip tomorrow....then maybe we've got a shot but no one knows.  When a kid is taking an official it's like getting on a ride at an amusement park, you can't get off halfway, and sometimes it's so fun it makes you want to ride it again.  They get a ticket, and then it's a non-stop 48 hours.  unofficials it's anyones guess.  Did he drop by today while it rained and just shook hands with the coaches....who knows.

We'll find out soon if he made a trip to the campus, and if so how seriously he took it.  Short of him hanging out all weekend, and meeting with Skip on Sunday I think his mind is made up.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Just fyi, the NCAA does not allow any member schools to publicize a recruit's visit to campus, official or unofficial.

Just fyi, the NCAA does not allow any member schools to publicize a recruit's visit to campus, official or unofficial.

That doesn't mean the working press has to remain mum, though???

Why is Deering going to announce his commitment on Local news if he's going somewhere else? Doesn't make sense unless he's staying home.

• Content Count:  578

Because he's a highly regarded prospect. Not high enough to warrant a spot on ESPN U or something of that nature but high enough that the general Tampa Bay area is interested. Especially with FSU as one of his main options.

Archived