• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

5-11 SG Shedrick "Showtyme" Haynes commits(Oh Boy)

Vega

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

He could be a wild card for us, ... we know we have a shooter in Noriega... but having someone else with range would be great. 

I sure hope Jones returns... i don't feel comfortable relying on only Gus for offense, and right now... he is the only offense on the team returning.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Shedrick Haynes took a chance leaving his home in Florida to come north and play basketball at Lackawanna College.

But things have worked out well for both the player and the school.

With the 6-foot-3 guard leading the way, Lackawanna has advanced to the NJCAA Region 19 Division II final. The Falcons (20-10) will face Mercer County College today at 5 p.m. at the Lackawanna Student Union with the winner moving on to NJCAA Division II Championship Tournament in Danville, Ill.

Meanwhile, Haynes has been able to showcase his talents and earn the chance to continue his career next season at the University of South Florida in the Big East Conference.

Haynes was an all-region player last season at Manatee Community College in Florida, but was not returning to the school.

He and Lackawanna coach Mike Netti met at the JUCO All-American Camp in Tulsa, Oklahoma, during the summer. The two hit it off immediately.

"Coach Netti was the one who picked me up at the airport," Haynes said. "He didn't know I wasn't going back to (Manatee). We just started talking and formed an instant relationship.

"I had never left Florida before, but I took a chance with coach Netti. He's been a big part of my success. Everything he told me, he's done. To be honest with you, it was the best move for me."

With Lackawanna this season, Haynes has played both guard positions and averaged 18.5 points.

"His strength is that he shoots the ball extremely well," Netti said. "He's a different type of athlete. He's so fast and so explosive with the ball.

"He's a huge part of our success. He's our motor ... the kid who keeps us together. When we need a bucket, he's that guy."

Along the way, Haynes drew interest from several Atlantic 10 Conference schools as well as Western Kentucky and Nevada.

South Florida was aware of Haynes the football player. His father, James Jr., coached Emmitt Smith in high school and Haynes was a football recruit until he tore his ACL during his senior year of high school.

But after seeing him play basketball, South Florida made him an offer last month.

"They play in the best conference and I'm going to be able to come in and get playing time," Haynes said. "South Florida is also just 30 minutes away from my parents. That's my dream, for my parents to be able to see me play.

"I'm very excited. For me, it's one step closer of where I am trying to go. I still have a lot to improve on. I'm taking it one step at a time."

Before he heads to South Florida, Haynes has still has business to attend to here. Like leading Lackawanna to the national tournament.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/before-heading-to-south-florida-haynes-hoping-to-lead-lackawanna-to-region-19-title-1.651175?localLinksEnabled=false

Did Haynes have a growth spurt?

If he's 6-3 then that changes the perception of what he is capable of. I have always seen him at either 5-11 or 6ft tall.

• Content Count:  19,229

Please tell me he is 6'3.  He might actually be able to get off that 42% 3 pt shot in the big east at that height!

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Please. Tell me this kid had a 4 inch growth spurt.

Please tell me he is 6'3.  He might actually be able to get off that 42% 3 pt shot in the big east at that height!

He'll get his shot off, hitting it is something we will have to see.

Please. Tell me this kid had a 4 inch growth spurt.

Yeah if he's 6-3 that incredible leaping ability really elevates his potential.

• Content Count:  247
  • Days Won:  0

haynes was at the game yesterday.  saw him before the game at the shoot around in street clothes with the players and woody.  haha he is no where near the 6-3 the one article has him at and i think 5-11 is generous from what i saw of him standing next to the players.  On the plus side he seemed to be meshing well with them, saw him cracking jokes with some of the players.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Saw Burwell at the rec today. Dude can shoot. Too bad he didn't play a lick of D on anybody. Even if we are rec players you gotta play D.

Toarlyn always plays D.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  5,550

When Shedrick Haynes transferred out of then Manatee Community College after the 2008-09 basketball season, his dream was to come back home and play in the Big East Conference.

I was reminded of Greenberg saying "In South Florida, kids don't go to sleep dreaming about being Bulls."

Also, it looks from that Bradenton.com article that he was offered by a few D1 schools.

Archived