• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz still the main focus for USF's New coach according to Auman.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

http://tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-bulls-main-focus-on-hiring-new-coach-remains-on-skip-holtz/1065320

Not much new info in there, but there is mention of a tweeter acount

• Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  1

Holtz close to deal with South Florida

By Sammy Batten

Staff writer

Skip Holtz was back in Greenville on Wednesday, but the chances of him remaining as East Carolina's football coach may be fading.

One day after Holtz publicly stated his interest in the position at South Florida, a source close to the program said the two sides are discussing a deal.

"It's close, but not done yet,'' the source said. "But they're moving in that direction.''

The 45-year-old Holtz is one of two in-state coaches whose name popped up Tuesday as a candidate at another school.

Duke's David Cutcliffe is one of several names being mentioned as a possible successor to Lane Kiffin, who resigned suddenly after one season at Tennessee on Tuesday to become head coach at Southern Cal.

Cutcliffe had not been contacted by Tennessee, however, as of Wednesday afternoon, according to Duke spokesman Art Chase.

On the other hand, Holtz confirmed Tuesday while attending the American Football Coaches Association convention in Orlando, Fla., that he had been contacted Sunday by South Florida athletic director Doug Woolard. Holtz denied any offer to replace Jim Leavitt as Bulls coach had been made, but he did sound intrigued by the position.

"Obviously, there is interest from the standpoint of the league that they play in, the Big East,'' Holtz told The Tampa Tribune. "My parents live here in Orlando, and my wife is from Port Charlotte. We would have four grandparents right here.

"There are a lot of positives to it. I think it's definitely an up-and-coming program, so, yeah, there would be interest.''

Leavitt has been the coach at South Florida in all 13 seasons of the program's existence. He compiled a 94-57 record, including 8-5 this season.

But allegations that Leavitt grabbed walk-on running back Joel Miller by the throat and slapped him twice on the sideline during a Nov. 21 game against Louisville led to his firing by the university last week. Leavitt has denied the charges and is trying to win his job back through the court system.

But while the focus of South Florida's search to replace Leavitt is clearly on Holtz, he isn't the only person contacted about the job.

The school has also made inquires with Michigan offensive coordinator Calvin Magee and Middle Tennessee State coach Rick Stockstill. Magee, a former USF assistant, discussed the job with school officials Monday, according to reports.

The possibility of Holtz leaving for South Florida didn't sit well with one local ECU alum. Ralph Vitolo, a local sports agent whose clients include former Pirate fullback Vonta Leach, said entertaining the South Florida job hurts Holtz's credibility.

"Even if he stays now, because of the way he's talked about that (South Florida job), he's lost credibility with people who have supported him,'' Vitolo said. "This is not good timing.''

Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon that he hoped to have a new coach for the Vols by this weekend.

A rumor that began later Wednesday also had the Volunteers showing interest in Holtz. But ECU spokesman Tom McClellan could not comment on whether Holtz had been contacted by Volunteer officials.

"Our policy is that we refrain from commenting on any 'been contacted' or 'permission to talk to' inquiries,'' McClellan said.

Holtz's contract at ECU runs through 2013, but it includes a $100,000 buyout clause.

• Content Count:  102

I wanted Holtz from day one and I still want him tomorrow...Please God let him be at USF by morning.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Greg is pulling a McMurphy... from an unnamed source... Where are the people wanting to burn him at the stake?

• Content Count:  1,204

Greg is pulling a McMurphy... from an unnamed source... Where are the people wanting to burn him at the stake?

Auman doesn't have a track record for being wrong and pulling stuff out of his butt.

McMurphy is a case of fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  It only takes me one fake cry of wolf before I stop paying much attention.

• Content Count:  579

Auman doesn't have a track record for being wrong and pulling stuff out of his butt.

McMurphy is a case of fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  It only takes me one fake cry of wolf before I stop paying much attention.

Do you mean claiming an imminent probe by the NCAA isn't the same as a coaching speculation in your book?  You are so amoral!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Where did Greg cite an unnamed source?

The OTHER article written by Sammy Batten cites an unnamed ECU source: "One day after Holtz publicly stated his interest in the position at South Florida, a source close to the program said the two sides are discussing a deal."

Archived