• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I guess a lot of people on here did not actually read the report.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

So I guess I should break it down for you.  I will try to be relatively short and provide my personal analysis in parentheses.

Joel himself told the investigators to interview persons B C D E and H.  (Joel knows which people are in close proximity and probably witnessed event.)

Person B- eyewitness, grabbed by throat and slapped twice,  described as an assault, in shock that this happened, "the values and standards that had been taught to him had been violated", spoke with Joel about it several times offering support to a friend/teammate that was wronged, spoke to CJL about it later on and CJL said he was "fighting for his job", and "you of all people".  (Strong words from somebody clearly upset about what they saw)

Person C- eyewitness, saw entire event, grabbed by throat and slapped twice, was "square on what he saw and confirmed by joel in conversations "every day after about it" said the most upsetting part was CJL's "flat out" lies in the newspaper regarding the incident, that CJL didn't practice what he preached "honesty and transparency", stated that "Leavitt is one hell of a coach, but he crossed the line.  He was wrong and he should have stepped up and admitted he was wrong"  (More strong words)

Person D- Was there when it happened, turned when CJL grabbed Miller because he"did not want to 'catch anything himself' or see anymore" but when he turned back to see he only saw CJL's hand on his face, described as "unusual", spoke with joel following incident and saw a clearly upset teammate. (Saw enough to know he didn't want to see anymore....turned a blind eye....may have seen everything but didn't want to throw CJL under the bus)

Person E- said Leavitt was extra rowdy that halftime, only grabbed miller's shoulder pads while yelling "Fight your ass! Fight your ass!", stated that "when Leavitt's doing his thing.  I stay away.  I don't respond to stuff like that." (says he was there, saw him grab shoulder pads, but stays away when things like this happen,  sounds like another player that didn't want to see everything and didn't want to be involved)

Person H- close to Joel when it happened, saw him grab Miller but isn't sure whether it was by the throat or collar of jersey, saw CJL raise the arm but doesn't know if he struck him, says it was definitely a "hands on" situation and that miller looked "shocked" and definitely was "shook up".  (this person saw everything but didn't want to throw CJL under the bus. H didn't want to lie, but didn't want the investigators to know that he saw everything)

Trooper Benny Perez-saw "same typical stuff", nothing unusual, did see coach grab someone but didn't know who, typical interaction with all of the players (completely contradictory information from the players who did claim to be direct eyewitnesses to the entire event (B and C), but also slightly different information from players who saw pieces of the event and indicated that something unusual occured)

Trooper Jack Hayes-was on vacation that day but indicated that the gameday troopers halftime role was to stand outside of the entrance to the locker room to keep unwanted people out, and indicated tht it is "highly unusual for the troopers to be inside the locker room at halftime". (Weird, makes me wonder why Perez entered the locker room in the first place, possibly heard commotion, but by the time he got there things had settled down.  Seems weird that he would know what "typical interaction with the all of the players" is if it was highly unusual that he was ever in the locker room.  I find it hard to believe an officer would lie about this incident, just makes me think that he entered the locker room because he heard something)

Coach Franks- was not present during incident, heard rumors of an incident monday after the game and saw that miller was acting "different, just different", asked Miller if there was anything he wanted to talk about, miller stated "Im just trying to figure something out."  Calls the RB's families monthly and miller's parents were "concerned" about what happened in the locker room.  (A coach that cares for a player is concerned about him because he hears something happened and sees his player acting different)

Coach Canales-not present during incident, heard directly after the game that "someone" said CJL had "gotten after somebody in the locker room", said that after the original fanhouse article that both Miller and person B were sorry for what "this has caused".  Tells them to tell the truth and things will be okay.  (knows something strange happened and tells players to tell truth)

Person J- sitting near Miller, saw incident and said that CJL grabbed Miller by "neck or shoulder pads" and "tapped" his face twice.  said it was nothing too major, but even person J reacted with "oh wow, i didn't think he was going to do that!" and that the reaction from the rest of the locker room was "What just happened?!"  (Saw everything, didn't want to lie, but also tried to downplay the incident.  Reactions like he described don't come from a minor event)

Person G-self described pretty good friend of Joel, heard joel and person C talking about the incident stating "that's BS, That's not right", Then heard from joel that CJL grabbed him by the throat and slapped his face.  says miller was very upset about the event, told joel that several other teammates want him to tell the truth because they "had his back".  said that joel was afraid of being "dumped"off team and not offered a scholarship if there is a coaching change.  (wanted Miller to tell truth because he knew CJL was wrong.  Joel realizes that if he speaks the truth that CJL will no doubt be fired, he doesn't want that to happen in large part due to the affect on assistant coaches, whom he knows played no part in this incident, as well as his personal future on the USF team.  I imagine that sometime around this that CJL started pursuading Miller to say certain things and leave out others)

Person F- did not see incident, heard another teammate say that they would step in if CJL ever touched miller again.  Thought Leavitt acted in a solicitous way the week following the incident.  after millers denials of the incident, F asked Miller why he was denying what he had said.  Did not receive an answer for that question.  Said that despite Miller's mistakes during the game, "coach should never have laid hands on anyone".  F also stated that several players had a lot on their minds and that players are concerned CJL flat out lied.  (knew something happened because of Joel's backtracking of original story, and sees differences in CJL and miller's relationship)

Person I- didn't see incident but said CJL was angry at halftime, Miller asked person I if he had seen the incident, and when told "no", Miller said that CJL grabbed him by the neck.  After the fanhouse publication, Person I says Joel "changed up on him" and that CJL grabbed pads to motivate. (It took miller 3 weeks and a published allegation to change his story to anybody on the team)

Person K-went to bathroom in locker room and heard the "buzz" of the event when he returned.  Asked Miller and he said that CJL had put his hands on him.  Saw that Joel was obviously disturbed by the occurence.  Heard person C say "do what he thought was right" (knows something happened but wasn't there to see it)

Person N- not in locker room, did not think it was a serious incident until he spoke directly with Joel, who confirmed the hand on the throat and the slap.  didn't know how hard the slap was.  heard Miller concerned about possible impact on assistant coaches.  said that all players were aware of the incident.  Was very dissapointed with CJL's "most powerful person" comment.  (another person that heard directly from Joel before the original article)

Person O- not in locker room, Joel told O about the incident the tuesday after the game.  noted that miller was upset and asked if he had told his parents.  also heard from person H that H saw CJL slap miller.  after the article is published miller thinks O is the leak and says "thanks for ruining my career" (Person H indicated to O that he saw the slap despite H's claim to investigators that he didn't see it, only saw CJL raise his hand at Miller)

Person P-says CJL was very emotional in the locker room, says Leavitt grabbed Miller by shoulder pads and shook him.  Tells investigators that what happens there should stay there, says its like a family, and that it was motivational and should have been over weeks ago. (Person P seems like they are flat out lying, and tried to downplay the incident by the "family" comments knowing that it was a serious incident)

Q-did not see incident, when Q asked miller about the incident he just shrugged shoulders and walked off (Q heard everything, wanted to hear it directly from Joel, but he wouldn't answer)

R- didn't see event, didn't have a good view of Joel (this guy was in and out of the investigators office, didn't see anyting and wanted no part of it)

S- was there but didn't see it, heard a gasp from others, heard about incident from other players, Joel told S he didn't want to talk about it.  (states that CJL is intense and passionate but does not deny what he heard from others)

T- saw the end of the incident with CJL's hands on Miller's shoulder pads and shaking him.  Heard from Joel that CJL grabbed and shook, but that Miller later changed his story.  advised investigators to speak to other teammates who may have directly witnessed the encounter. (Didn't want to lie so he told them to talk to people who saw)

L- saw CJL put hands on Miller's shoulder pads and tapping his jaw "to get his attention", also stated that CJL got on others as well.  (downplayed the incident, but still has a COMPLETELY different story from Leavitt, who claimed he never touched Miller's face, that he only "grabbed him by the shoulder pads to motivate him")

M-saw CJL grab miller's jersey and shake him, and also saw him slap Joel twice on the cheek while holding his chin with the other hand.  Also stated this is "what coaches do" to motivate.  (another player who downplays the incident yet is still telling a  completely different story than Leavitt)

Ronnie McKeefery- saw incident, 3 feet from Leavitt, said CJL grabbed Millers chin and said "you're a good student-athlete", saw CJL pop joel's shoulder pads twice and grab his jersey, indicated no slap.  Had Miller and person B approach him after the article hoping that he would ask the team not to talk to the media about this.  (Who would ever say "you're a good student athlete" while yelling at a player and holding his chin?  I think it sounds like McKeefery was trying to help his boss out by stating there was no slap.....unfortunately, CJL must not have done a good enough job telling him what to tell investigators because Mckeefery's story is still different from CJL's)

Final thought:

Even the few people who denied the initial choke and slaps to the face had completely different stories than Leavitt and each other for that matter.

The people who either saw the whole event first hand or heard it directly from Miller all had basically identical stories.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

That ain't a hell of a lot shorter than the report (yours would have been shorter without your opinions included)...I have yet to read either completely - only skimmed the official report so far.

But your post reminded me of something.

Back a few weeks ago, some questioned how, if this happened as McMurphy described in his article did someone, specifically letters B, C and maybe even D and H not get involved, not break it up.  How did they just sit there and watch it happen?

McMurphy said on the radio that Joel hit Leavitt too, so combined with the descriptions you supplied, would it be typical to see a fellow teammate attacked like that, fight back and his teammates do nothing;  or worse, turn around so they don't have to see it and respond?

I'm surprised that no one got involved at all.  Not saying it didn't happen, but I guess it's like those eyewitnesses that watch gangs beat up kids but don't do a **** thing to stop it.  Well you'd think it would be different on a civilized team though.

• Content Count:  98

wow, i didn't realize how long that was.......

Bulliever,

you do have a valid point, but after reading the report and knowing what I had already known, the main reaction from those around him was shock and disbelief, and that it only lasted a couple of seconds.

And I believe that to be entirely possible...but when I recalled Brett saying Joel struck back at Leavitt, it would seem longer and the opportune time for someone to step in and "protect the coach" when really protecting a team mate.

And thank you for civilly replying to my post without casting aspersions on my intent and beliefs.  :)

• Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

Anyone remember when Lou Pinella got into a locker room fight with Rob Dibble years ago on the Cincy Reds? That was actually funny as Pinella ended up  saying that Dibble is not a man. They had a lot of players breaking the two up, so I wonder why no one stepped in if it was really that bad?

That's sort of the unbalanced equation...one group saw it and it caused shock and disbelief.

Another group saw it and, "ahhh, it was just coach being coach".

• Content Count:  32

I'm a chick (from before the civil rights bill that gave chicks the right to play college sports on a level playing field) and my only "team" sport was the old school girl's basketball. So let me compare this to an event at work. For these college kids on the Bulls teams it is a part of their job, especially if on scholarship.

My director at work was becoming extremely rude and agitated and he came towards me with closed fist, ready to strike, during a meeting with me and my team. (I am the manager.) It's work, it's how I pay my bills, I am afraid for my job. He threw a chair, screamed I was fired and walked away. My team sat perfectly still, scared to death. I put my hand on the phone to call security BUT DID NOT. The power differential was too much. I filed a grievance and unbeknownst to me, so did my employees. He's gone. I'm here. I wanted to hit him. I wanted to have Security take his ass down. I wanted to woman-up and handle it. My team (my employees) were so shocked and afraid they could not move but all of them had the same thoughts running through their heads. That does not mean the incident did not happen, in fact, it turns out he was known for this behvior at other places and with other managers.

Recall the player who turned his head because he did not want to "catch something".  Come on, Bulliever, you're usually a voice of reason. Don't incite these angry fans to think that it could not have happened because they did not break up a coach on player altercation. The telling argument here is the player who turned his head, not the fact that no one reacted and pulled a coach off a player there at the grace of the man allegedly assaulting him. Sometimes the power differential "I'm the most powerful man..."  stops one from reacting. I know from experience that it did stop me. I did not file the grievance for 24 hours. I needed to get my head around it and figure out if I'd done something first, and unerstand the conseq. Some of the things I read in the entire 30-odd page report fits the profile ile of someone shocked and upset by something wrong but unable to figure out their next move. It's how I reacted. I know it's not the same thing, but it's close...and it may help with understanding why noone reacted or stepped up. 

• Content Count:  742

I'm a chick (from before the civil rights bill that gave chicks the right to play college sports on a level playing field) and my only "team" sport was the old school girl's basketball. So let me compare this to an event at work. For these college kids on the Bulls teams it is a part of their job, especially if on scholarship.

My director at work was becoming extremely rude and agitated and he came towards me with closed fist, ready to strike, during a meeting with me and my team. (I am the manager.) It's work, it's how I pay my bills, I am afraid for my job. He threw a chair, screamed I was fired and walked away. My team sat perfectly still, scared to death. I put my hand on the phone to call security BUT DID NOT. The power differential was too much. I filed a grievance and unbeknownst to me, so did my employees. He's gone. I'm here. I wanted to hit him. I wanted to have Security take his *** down. I wanted to woman-up and handle it. My team (my employees) were so shocked and afraid they could not move but all of them had the same thoughts running through their heads. That does not mean the incident did not happen, in fact, it turns out he was known for this behvior at other places and with other managers.

Recall the player who turned his head because he did not want to "catch something".  Come on, Bulliever, you're usually a voice of reason. Don't incite these angry fans to think that it could not have happened because they did not break up a coach on player altercation. The telling argument here is the player who turned his head, not the fact that no one reacted and pulled a coach off a player there at the grace of the man allegedly assaulting him. Sometimes the power differential "I'm the most powerful man..."  stops one from reacting. I know from experience that it did stop me. I did not file the grievance for 24 hours. I needed to get my head around it and figure out if I'd done something first, and unerstand the conseq. Some of the things I read in the entire 30-odd page report fits the profile ile of someone shocked and upset by something wrong but unable to figure out their next move. It's how I reacted. I know it's not the same thing, but it's close...and it may help with understanding why noone reacted or stepped up. 

Vicchic,

From a legal perspective your incident is not far off. One of the reasons the investigation took so long is that there is a legal aspect to it. I think that people do not realize this and forget that sports are still required to abide by the law.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

That's sort of the unbalanced equation...one group saw it and it caused shock and disbelief.

Another group saw it and, "ahhh, it was just coach being coach".

Exactly.  And remember that these kids all have different backgrounds.  Some of them may have received worse from their coaches when they were in club or high school ball.  Some had been in the program five years, some their first year.  When one player says it "was no big deal", that doesn't mean what happened was acceptable.  If you read the entire report, I think you'll come to the conclusion that beyond a reasonable doubt, Leavitt "tapped" or "slapped" Miller.  I'm still not convinced Leavitt grabbed Miller around the throat.  I think it's more likely that Leavitt grabbed Miller by the jersey close to the throat and rolled the jersey up in his hand.  That may have felt to Miller like Leavitt's hand was around his throat, and from an eyewitness standpoint, it may have appeared that way after Miller told you what happened.

Still, it's also obvious in the report and by Genshaft's comments that Leavitt's main problem was his unwillingness to accept responsibility for what he did.  That's a huge problem with an employee that has as much control over as many people as a head coach does.

• Content Count:  5,241

I have no doubts it happened

I have doubts that it was an incredibly vicious arm bent back, wind up slap.

Either way Leavitt should not have done it.

But Mcmurphy definitely elaborated and stretched the truth. He's a tmz style reporter. its what he does.

Archived