• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

For the record regarding Colby Erskin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

Colby was placed on scholarship before his original knee injury (the injury occured during 2007 fall camp).  Players do not lose scholarships because of injuries either, so to say that Leavitt "stayed with him through the injuries" is true but nothing out of the ordinary.  The only time I have ever heard of players losing scholarships in any program is because of poor academic performance, laziness, or off the field issues.  Players do not lose scholarships because of what happens on the field. 

I believe Colby had previously been interviewed by the investigator before the whole "personal belongings in the trash incident". The investigator gave each person that was interviewed a business card at the conclusion of the interview, for the people to follow up if any new information came forward.  When this newest incident occured, it was, as his father said "the last straw", so he called the investigator and told him about the "trash" and went on record with McMurphy and told him what he knew.

Guest nybullsfan

it was, as his father said "the last straw", so he called the investigator and told him about the "trash" and went on record with McMurphy and told him what he knew.

and you know this because ... ?

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Colby was placed on scholarship before his original knee injury (the injury occured during 2007 fall camp).  Players do not lose scholarships because of injuries either, so to say that Leavitt "stayed with him through the injuries" is true but nothing out of the ordinary.  The only time I have ever heard of players losing scholarships in any program is because of poor academic performance, laziness, or off the field issues.  Players do not lose scholarships because of what happens on the field. 

I believe Colby had previously been interviewed by the investigator before the whole "personal belongings in the trash incident". The investigator gave each person that was interviewed a business card at the conclusion of the interview, for the people to follow up if any new information came forward.  When this newest incident occured, it was, as his father said "the last straw", so he called the investigator and told him about the "trash" and went on record with McMurphy and told him what he knew.

I think there may have been a couple of people talking about pulling his scholarship, but I think most who are truly aware of NCAA sports were talking about them releasing him from the team.  He had absolutely no business coming back after his second injury.  His scholarship would have still been in place.  Frankly, the a-hole Erskin, mentioned that Canales got him the scholarship completely ignoring the fact that it is the head coach who determines all scholarships for players - not an assistant coach.  Leavitt's insistance on keeping Erskin on the team is biting him in the ass right now.  Here's what we know about Erskin:

1.  Allowed to be a walk-on at USF by the head coach

2.  Provided a full scholarship by the head coach even though he feels it was Canales, who in no way makes that final call

3.  Three ACL injuries later, he wants a 6th year of eligibilty to come back and try to get a full year of play in, for which he is rebuked.

4.  Through all the injuries (short of the third), he was allowed to stay on the team and try to work his way back into playing, which was all allowed by the head coach.

5.  He is an ingrate of the highest order and should be forced out of that locker room immediately.  The kid is a caustic ingredient that should not be allowed to continue plus the fact that he has graduated and therefore, his scholarship has been used in total but he wants more..............just like that screaming little out of control kid we all see with the ill equipped mother in the toy aisle at your neighborhood Target store.  Get rid of the little **** already!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

ncaa rules state that a scholly is a 1 year deal renewable ... Leavitt could have easily pulled his scholly.

• Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

Correct ALL scholarships are ONE year guarantees and I can tell you that players with injuries are in many cases not renewed in their scholarships. Many transfer to smaller schools were they are willing to take a chance on the kid healing and playing. So no Leavitt did NOT have to keep Erskin on scholarship

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

ncaa rules state that a scholly is a 1 year deal renewable ... Leavitt could have easily pulled his scholly.

I agree ET, but I do believe that nearly all coaches will not revoke a scholarship if the athlete was injured while playing/practicing for the team.  Kind of an unwritten rule amongst coaches, players, and universities.  I remember the kid who broke his neck at Texas a few years back and they left him on scholarship, even though he was bound to a wheelchair for the rest of his days.  Its just the right thing to do.  But you know the saying.......all it takes is one bad apple to spoil it for everyone else.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think there is also an option for the school to continue a scholarship if a player is no longer able to play due to injury, without the kid being on the team.

Maybe CJL wanted his "football" scholarship back, but Erskin would probably still have been covered by the "injured reserve" scholly. He has wasted a football scholarship for the last 3 years, and CJL has every right, after 3 ACL injuries to push him out the door. I would have quit by now, with the goal of being able to walk after I am 40, but thats just me.

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I mentioned this on another thread, and feel the need to revisit it here as well, based on the statement "Leavitt pushed him out the door".

The NCAA gives players five years to compete, and Erskin has had those five years.  If he wants to continue to play, then Erskin needs to state his case to the coaching staff to justify seeking an exception for a sixth year.  Given the team's clear need for schollies, why would they want to use one for a sixth year on a kid who is excessively injury prone and may not be able to make the field again?

Erskin needed to ask for that sixth year, and we don't know that he did or did not.  However, it makes complete sense to any rational fan that understands NCAA regs and the team's schollie situation that Erskin's career was done regardless of what happened with this incident.

I suspect that Erskin was told this, and it explains some of his family's vitriol.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

... So no Leavitt did NOT have to keep Erskin on scholarship

If he is such a "jerk" as some claim, he would've pulled it. Seminole & Roper aren't a hotbed for us ... no other reason than Leavitt is more than fair.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Erskin lied about his coach talking to Leavitt, it's clearly written in black and white in Auman's story.  WHY would anyone believe him about the big things when he can't even tell the truth about the small details?  This sounds more like a disgruntled punk than a whistleblower.  Again, he wad the only man in the locket room that knows right from wrong?  He's not even saying he saw the incident, but that Joel TOLD him?!?!?  No wonder Joel won't talk to him. 

Archived