• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

defensive plan for off season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

1. fundamentals of tackling

2. fundamentals of angles

3. add 15lbs to all DB's and LB's

4. find a speed rusher (Tim Jones better be ready)

5. get your run stop in order, stop the lb's over persuit

finally play with attitude, stop the useless trash talk

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

It is all a lost cause right now. We are in big trouble.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

EXPERIENCE will help here ... the tackling  :P

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  442

WE JUST NEED TO LEARN TO TACKLE AND PLAY FUNDAMENTAL FOOTBALL.  IF IT IS THIRD AND FIFTEEN, DONT LET THE RECIEVERS RUN 15.5 AND TURN AROUND AND THE DB'S TEN YARDS OFF THE RECEIVERS.  I THINK WE WILL BE FINE WITH JUST ANOTHER YEAR OF EXPERIENCE.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

doing it and talking about doing it separates #1 team from #117th team

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

Our defense has been great since the program started.  Do y'all think the defensive coaches forgot how to coach all of the sudden?  Ever think that maybe 5 Freshmen (at times) in the starting lineup might have something to do with the poor defense this year?

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The only thing I can say about our DB's is that it is rough to cover a receiver for half an hour when there is no pressure on the QB. In addidtion, considering almost all of them are first year starters (regardless if they're a senior or not), we placed the bar pretty high coming into this season...

Sorta like everyone claiming Matt Grothe is going to be the savior. He's shredding high school defenses (although some are good), how many have 11 Division 1A starters on them? It will be a rough season next year with whomever is at QB unless we find someone who can actually display some throwing accuracy and touch.

Guest HowieP1
The only thing I can say about our DB's is that it is rough to cover a receiver for half an hour when there is no pressure on the QB. In addidtion, considering almost all of them are first year starters (regardless if they're a senior or not), we placed the bar pretty high coming into this season...

Sorta like everyone claiming Matt Grothe is going to be the savior. He's shredding high school defenses (although some are good), how many have 11 Division 1A starters on them? It will be a rough season next year with whomever is at QB unless we find someone who can actually display some throwing accuracy and touch.

I think you are forgetting this guy:

http://auburn.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=11224

Guest HowieP1

Flashback:

Auburn's Denson

looks for position

Tuberville: Talented freshman will play

AUBURN  The microphones, tape recorders and cameras weren't anything new for Auburn freshman quarterback Courtney Denson.

Denson, sporting dreadlocks, had seen his share of the media during his days at Central High in Miami.

The stage, however, was something different. Really different.

Despite all the awards  ranging from Dade County Most Valuable Player to SuperPrep All-American  Denson was in unfamiliar territory.

Here's the funny thing. While most of his rookie classmates seemed slightly overwhelmed by the attention brought on by Monday's freshman reporting day, the 6-foot, 180-pound Denson answered every question with ease.

A possible redshirt? Forget about it.

And though Denson was recruited as a quarterback, there was always a mention that his athletic ability was worthy enough to make him a first-year contributor for the Tigers. That was verified Monday by Auburn head football coach Tommy Tuberville, who said that Denson would definitely be playing somewhere when the Tigers, ranked sixth in the USA Today/ESPN Top 25 poll, take on No. 8 Southern California on Aug. 30 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Unlikely at QB this year

A first-year sniff at quarterback seems unlikely for Denson given that redshirt freshmen Josh Sullivan and Wesley Hill, along with freshman Brandon Cox, have an early jump as Jason Campbell's backup following spring practice. But there's plenty of room elsewhere for Denson, who played both ways in high school.

"Courtney Denson will work out at quarterback. We're going to give him every chance up to a certain amount of time," Tuberville said. "He's also played defensive back. I want Courtney to be on the field some percentage of time when we play USC.

"I think he's definitely one of the guys that needs to play this year because of his good athletic ability. Could be backup quarterback, could be starting corner, second-team corner, kickoff coverage guy or return guy. He never left the field in high school, and he's got tremendous ability that can help us win games."

Denson, a starter at quarterback during his junior and senior seasons at Central, threw for 1,905 yards and 21 touchdowns last fall. He also ran for 615 yards and 12 touchdowns in leading his prep squad to a 10-2 mark.

After arriving at Auburn in mid-June, Denson took part in afternoon workouts and got to know his teammates. After adjusting to the strength and speed of Division I players, Denson said he finally realized the significance of the challenge that he faced.

The biggest thrill for Denson was getting a chance to listen and learn from Campbell.

"I got to work with Jason a lot and we talked a lot," Denson said. "He helped me out with a lot of things. Before I came I used to watch Jason, and I think he's a really great passer.

"My plan, really, is that when he's gone I think that I can have a really good future here. That's why I'm not rushing anything. Jason, he's like an idol to me. He told me not to rush things. I think I can learn a lot from him."

Darrell Ponder's Auburn beat column appears Wednesdays in THE DAILY.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/columns/030806a.shtml

He's been practicing with the team and he figures end up being the USF QB in 2005.

As much as I love Grothe, I think he'll probably be red shirted next year.