• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF athletics enters partnership with Apple Inc

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

more info

December 9, 2009

USF to Provide All Student Athletes with MacBook Pro notebooks

New academic program is focused on keeping USF athletes connected to learning

TAMPA, Florida--December 9, 2009 -- The University of South Florida today announced a unique educational program providing all of its student athletes with access to a MacBook Pro 13-inch notebook computer every semester. The MacBook Pro notebooks provided to all student-athletes will give them the opportunity to work on course assignments and view academic materials at any time and in any location. As part of the program, USF will be adding new lectures to iTunes U, an area of the iTunes Store dedicated to educational material. With the MacBook Pro and a wireless internet connection, USF athletes will be able to access the lectures and other learning materials no matter where they are.

“The goal is to create an anywhere, anytime learning environment for each of our student-athletes,” said USF Director of Athletics Doug Woolard. “Apple's MacBook Pro will assist in providing comprehensive academic support services while accommodating the demanding practice and travel schedules of our student-athletes. Our traveling teams will now be connected to classes, academic advisors and tutors anywhere in America, or for that matter the entire world.”

“We’re thrilled to be working with Apple and leveraging its more than 30 years in education," said University of South Florida President Judy Genshaft. "Our use of innovative technology will directly improve the educational opportunities for the more than 460 student-athletes enrolled in over 2,400 different courses each semester.” 

Every MacBok Pro features a sleek and durable aluminum unibody design, perfect for life on the road. Apple’s innovative, built-in battery delivers up to seven hours on a charge. iLife ’09, featuring iPhoto for managing photos, iMovie for making movies and GarageBand for creating and learning to play music comes on every MacBook Pro. All Macs also run Mac OS X Snow Leopard, the world’s most advanced operating system, which includes iChat, allowing USF athletes to connect with tutors, academic advisors, academic coaches and fellow students regarding coursework. USF athletics has a long tradition in community involvement, and the built-in iSight camera on every MacBook Pro will allow USF athletes to connect with local schools through video conferencing, while the creative applications in iLife ’09 permit informative podcasts to be made easily.

Pursuant to NCAA rules, the notebook computers will remain the property of USF and will be checked out from and returned to the Athletics Department by student-athletes at the start and conclusion of each semester.  Further, in accordance with NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2, USF student-athletes are precluded from endorsing, recommending or promoting the sale or use of Apple products or services.

This game-changing initiative was made possible by an allocation from the NCAA Academic Enhancement Fund, private funds raised by the Bulls Club annual auction and a grant from the Verizon Foundation.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sunburned

Those steering wheel desks are cool.

Product Description

Introducing the AutoExec WM-01 Wheelmate Steering Wheel Desk Tray - Gray - , featured in our Other Vehicle Parts department. This product generally ships within 2 business day(s) from Pinellas Park, Florida, and weighs 2 pound(s). Attaches to your steering wheel for easy access to a writing and drink storage surface. Also included are 4 cement blocks, when shipped to a Pinellas Park address.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

The steering wheel desks are cool.  But don't take my word for it, read the customer reviews in attached Amazon.com link.  The MacBooks would work great with the steering wheel desk.

I think the desks were invented by research engineers at UCF over in Orlando.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Office-WM-01-Laptop-Steering/dp/B000IZGIA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1260126465&sr=8-1

Guest Sunburned

10% of computers are Macs. So few that only now those idiots that write viruses are starting to write them for Macs. Going into the real world, which unless you are going into some design or art profession, you are most likely going to be using Windows. So to give them the "cool" Macs while they are in school seems more gimmick then contributing to what they will see and use mostly in the real world. <b> I am curious if any courses require software that is only PC compatible.</b>

But some of this I think comes from Apple targeting teachers and schools. They have done that for 20 years. My sister, a teacher, loves her Mac and thinks that Macs can't get viruses, lol. I visit her and am confronted with the dreaded 1 button mouse, lol. Anyway. Great for the kids, now they can sort their photos and get their iTunes to go. <b>Too bad IBM or the equivalent isn't a partner.</b>

Slick,

You're not quite as slick as you think you are.

Mac's can run both the Mac OS and MS Windows OS so you can have the best of both worlds in one machine.

IBM has been out of the PC business for about 5 years.

I like this picture from the official site:

VXQVQULFJPZPWEM.20091207233434.jpg

I guess they discriminate against mascots...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Cheerleaders too.  I don't think they are getting the MacBooks...athletes only!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,574
  • Days Won:  423

I like this picture from the official site:

VXQVQULFJPZPWEM.20091207233434.jpg

I guess they discriminate against mascots...

5th row from the bottom, 2nd from the right ..... baseball bat boy??

Rocky is really gonna be pissed now.

Archived