• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Will Host FAMU In '05

Guest HowieP1

Guest HowieP1

USF Will Host FAMU In '05

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Nov 24, 2004

TAMPA - South Florida and Florida A&M will play next Sept. 10 at Raymond James Stadium, marking the first Tampa appearance for the Rattlers since 1996.

Florida A&M played Bethune-Cookman in the Florida Classic at Tampa Stadium every year from 1978 to 1996, except when the game wasn't played in 1983 and 1984. In 1997, the Florida Classic moved to Orlando.

With FAMU's large Tampa alumni base, an appearance by the Rattlers - and their nationally known ``Marching 100'' band - should result in one of the Bulls' largest home crowds.

The last seven Florida Classics in Tampa averaged more than 37,000 fans. By comparison, USF's largest home crowd at RJS was 36,549 against Army this season.

The addition of FAMU leaves USF needing one more opponent in 2005. The Bulls visit Penn State on Sept. 3, host FAMU and then UCF on Sept. 17. USF also will have three home Big East games and four away Big East games to be determined.

One possibility for USF's 11th opponent is Miami. The Miami Herald reported last week Miami might host USF in the Orange Bowl if a made-for- TV game between Miami and Cal doesn't materialize.

USF athletic director Doug Woolard would not confirm or deny the Herald's report. If USF visits Miami, the Bulls would only have five home games for the first time in the program's history.

Next year's FAMU-USF contest will be the first between the Bulls, who join the Big East next season, and the Division I-AA Rattlers.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBMYQDVW1E.html

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

I think this will be awesome!  I am looking forward to this game.  It will be great to fill the stadium, even if it is with the opponents fans.  It will be a great college atmosphere.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  106

If we are going to play a I-AA team, I am glad it is FAMU.  If we do play Miami, I hope we parlay that into a 2-1.  If we don't get a 2-1, then I would rather play at Kent State, Eastern Michigan or any other I-A team with a return trip to Tampa next year.  We need I-A home games.

8)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

If the Miami game really happens, I wonder what type of ticket allocation we would get.  It would be great for that to be an option to season ticket holders to get good seats in the OB.  Does anyone think we could have more than 10 or 15,000 there including students?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Awesome...  we could break our Ray Jay attendance record in consecutive weeks

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

Awesome...  we could break our Ray Jay attendance record in consecutive weeks

...and possibly break it again if the following home game is WVU.

Guest HowieP1
If we are going to play a I-AA team, I am glad it is FAMU.  If we do play Miami, I hope we parlay that into a 2-1.  If we don't get a 2-1, then I would rather play at Kent State, Eastern Michigan or any other I-A team with a return trip to Tampa next year.  We need I-A home games.

8)

I agree.

We will have a tough time getting to a bowl game in the BE as it is without adding a "payday" GAME @Miami. Playing @Miami and @PSU our first two games in 2005 would not be worth it unless we got a 2-1 with UM. I'd rather go on the road and play an easier team and get a return home game in 2006.

By the way, did I hear AD Woolard say on TV during the Cincy game that we will be playing @Auburn in BOTH 2006 and 2007? I thought we only had one game scheduled with them.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

great!

2-1 with UM or bust! as a new BE why lose to UM!

we need an ez win next year to help get a bowl game

bottom of mac/sunbelt in 1-1 or 1-2 is a better deal

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

we need an ez win next year to help get a bowl game

So, an OOC schedule consisting of a I-AA team, the worst team in I-A, and the worst team in the Big Ten, isn't easy enough for you?

I can live with FAMU, but USF's other remaining opponent had better be a real team.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

USF will start 3-0 next year. PJ won't be the QB... and Andre Hall will be unstoppable. JoePa will call it quits after USF goes to Happy Valley and takes a win from them.

Can someone get the message boards posted for next years opponents so I can start talking smack!