• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Take on Saturdays Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

I was at the game on Saturday, and here are my observations:

1.  No defensive pressure up-front.  We could not have gotten to Gino if we would have rushed all 11 guys.  We were just outmanned and outsized.  It was not really a lack of effort.  We tried, there was no doubt in my mind.  We just did not have a plan on defense - or it was a bad plan.

2.  Julmiste was really off.  You cannot believe how many wide open receivers there were in the secondary.  Julmiste would rather try to force it to Peyton (who would drop the ball) instead of hitting the open receiver.  And when he did make the correct read he was just off.

3.  The OC had a total panic when we went down by 14 points.  The drive that changed the game was at the end of the first half - we had a total defensive let down.  It got worse after the 2nd half started and Cincy scored again and went up by 14.  We went totally to the pass and Hall hardly touched the ball again.  We could have run against them all night and the game would have been different.  I blame this on the coaching staff.

4.  We need to bulk up on defense.  Everyone from our DL to our corners were outsized.

5.  Can't wait to see these young players develop.  The future is very bright Bulls fans.  Don't give up hope.  We will be competing very well in the Big East.

Ohio Bull

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

Welcome to the board Ohio Bull and thanks for your insight.

The single most frustrating aspect of the game for me was the absolute inability to get to Guidugli.  That was more frustrating than dropped balls and poor passes.

I don't remember what Guidugli finished, but as I recall he was 18 for his first 20.  I don't believe we ever got a sack and gave him way too much time to find a receiver.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  0

We got 1 sack form verpale on a safety blitz.  You are right Ohiobull about PJ being off.  However, we to to put alot of the blame on the receivers that dropped pass after pass.  If you are a marginal qb (as we have), it really does your confidence no good when the passes you do get to the receivers are dropped.  I am sure that played on his mind.  At one point early on he was 3-8 and a couple of those were drops.  Our receiving corp is not good and are not helping PJ.

Why we left the running game is beyond me.  A long drive for points early in the 3rd could have changed things.

Refs made to horrendous calls.  I about jumped the wall go afte the sideline judge when he called pass interference down by our goalline.  Our guy was looking back at the ball and the reciever had his hands on us.  That was total bs.

Concur with the lack of defensive pressure.  He had all day to throw and he usually took it until his receivers got open.

Cinci fans were great though.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

ohiobull

what a great first post

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Our D is still young and improving. How could we drop so far from just a couple years ago? We are really missing all those I-A transfers who came when we were still I-AA.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

We are also facing stronger competition week in week out

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

No, we're missing leadership. Previous USF defenses had a vocal leader like J.R. Reed or Maurice Jones. This year's team has no one like that. Hopefully someone (Stephen Nicholas?) will grow into this role.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we didn't recruit well

lack of talent

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Right smazza we didn't recruit well.  I just can not understand why young players coming by our trailers would pick teams like FSU,Miami or UF over us.  They only have a few national championships between them and are ranked every year.  What were these guys thinking ?