• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Watching Iowa State Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Watching KU burn I-state on the same plays over and over again with no adjustments.....makes me wonder if USF could have saved some of those late season slides with a different D coordinator....I-state seems to have the same fatal flaw on D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

yea im watching the same game on versus. I think we are better off on Defense with out new coordinator. the commentators gave USF a nice plug talking about our program a few minutes ago though.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Tresey > Burnham

end of discussion.

Burnham had his time, but he's well past due at this point.

besides, i always saw Burnham as a DLine/Linebacker-oriented coach, whereas i think Tresey brings an added element of ballhawking that Burnham seemed to forget.

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

guys, to be fair, i dont think iowa state has the athletes we have on either side of the ball.

From a fan perspective, I always thought a great scheme could over come lack of talent...Wally just never had it-but I agree our talent level won us some games....looking back on our run to #2...I always felt McCarney was our biggest resource...he leaves and goes to UF...we all know about their D....I really have focused on Tresey, and he is so animated and is constantly coaching and he seems to know what he's going to do for the next three plays....Wally never struck me like that....he always seemed to be reactive in his style and his game plan...tresey-attacks the ball....to me, if u have speed u attack

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Yes, because Iowa State has a talent level comparable to that of USF this season. Of course. Also, Kansas isn't better than Iowa State. That can't have anything to do with it either, naturally.

The USF defense tied with Cincinnati for tops in the nation in turnovers forced last year and was regularly near the top of the conference in total defense. Wally Burnham was and is an excellent coordinator. Why people have to slag on him now because he's gone is beyond me. You can praise Tresey without insulting Burnham, who did an excellent, excellent, excellent job as USF's defensive coordinator.

Not to mention, right now Iowa State is winning going into the fourth quarter.

Yup-surrendering over 400 yards of total offense...Wally was not great, our level of talent made him look better than what he was....anytime we faced a solid coached teach, he was owned...keep in mind this is a fans based opinion, not a published article....It's all opinions

Wally was not great, our level of talent made him look better than what he was....anytime we faced a solid coached teach, he was owned...

Wow this is revisionist history at its finest. So which is it - USF's coaches are excellent because they regularly produce good results with talent rejected by bigger programs, or the coaches aren't that good because the school pulls in exceptional talent that makes their job easy? What a stupid thing to say.

Stay classy buddy....U complete me today

Archived