• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If there's anything we should be questioning...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  44
  • Days Won:  0

...it should be how well the team is coached when we take on Cincy.  We know the talent is out there on the field, it just matters if it is used properly.  In  all of our past heart breaking losses, I think we were simply out coached or our coaches didn't call the right plays to bring the team back together when they were needed.

You take the past Thursday night games of Pitt and Rutgers and you can blame most BUT NOT ALL on how well or how out coached the team looked on the field.

We already know that the team is going to be fired up and ready to go, I think everything boils down to if the coaching staff is ready to open up and show us what this team can really do against a good opponent.  Hopefully Canales has a bag of tricks to use as well!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Games we win = Talent on field.

Games we lose = Bad coaching.

Got it.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I agree to most of what you are saying about the next few games coming down to the coaches on both sides of the ball needing to be prepared, winning the in game chess match and most importantly naking smart decisions in crucial situations. Poor situational decisions have cost us several games over the years. Having been involved in several of these big games now, I hope Leavitt and crew has learned. A few examples that come to mind are UCONN 2006 not going for FG and instead end up trying voodoo 5. Make the chip shot FG and all you need is another FG to win. Another example was trying a fake FG deep in our own territory in a close game vs Cincy in 3rd qtr a couple of years ago on sunday night.

We need execute too. If the defense holds on 3d and long vs Pitt last year down the stretch we win. Same vs Uconn 2 years ago.

We can't be outcoached but we must execute too.

• Content Count:  1,261

A few examples that come to mind are UCONN 2006 not going for FG and instead end up trying voodoo 5.

You definitely mean 2007.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I think it's silly to talk about coaching decisions from the past when we have two new coordinators this year.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Games we win = Talent on field.

Games we lose = Bad coaching.

Got it.

I absolutely agree with this. If you're a good coach, this is your theory as well. Always praise the players for good deeds, and take the blame yourself for losses.

As for voodoo 5, it was 1000% 2006. 2007 was "naked bootleg", but we needed a TD, not a FG. In 2006, I think we were playing for a 2nd place tie in the BE after Pat White and Steve Slaton crushed our dreams of winning the conference in our first season.

I think we have much better coaching this year than we had last year. Not sure about Tresey and Chico, but I would guess that they feed off of each other, probably some friendly competition, and I would bet they make each other better. I didn't get that feeling with GG and Wally. Wally was a great coach, but I am guessing a little set in his ways. Love the coordinators.

I have mentioned in another thread, but the position that I am really impressed with is WR. The new coach there seems to be doing a great job with those guys. I feel like they are running better routes, there are less drops, and generally, they have a shot to make more plays this year.

In 2006 we were losing by 5 points with about 5 minutes to go. UCONN wasn't moving the ball at all in the 2nd half. Kick the FG, let the defense hold them and all we need to do is move on a short field.for a try at a winning FG.

Come to think of it, voodoo 5 was actually 2005. Our first visit there.

• Content Count:  2,726

Yeah...yeah it was. 

Cause I was AT the game in 2007 @ UCONN and i remember that Naked bootleg.  UGH!!!

There were a good amount of BULLS fans there too.  UCONN could be a good game to go to...if the weather was good and all.  WHICH IS NEVER IS in the NORTHEAST!  lol

Ugh...i still have nightmares from that game.  That was a LOOOOONG drive back to Boston from UCONN. 

GOOOO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

You are correct.

Umm, I'd like to retract my 1000%...I knew it was up there, and not 2007 though, so thats got to be good for 3-4%...

Archived