• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ty Scott

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090923/ARTICLE/909231019/-1/NEWSSITEMAP

"USF, the one school that has not offered Scott, will probably be at the top of his list when or if the offer comes. He said USF's new defensive coordinator, Joe Tresey, told him he wants to make an offer and is just waiting for Bulls head coach Jim Leavitt to see some tape on him.

"If they offered me, I am pretty sure I would go there because I love the program and they sent some defensive backs to the NFL (including Southeast High grad Mike Jenkins with Dallas)," Scott says. "I also like them because the location is not far.""

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

He doesn't even have a profile on Rivals, unless I'm missing it. Searching separately by name or high school doesn't bring him up. I'd like to see some video or analysis. This story makes him sound good, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

• Content Count:  622
  • Days Won:  0

Woodie believes once Scott becomes NCAA qualified, a lot more offers will start pouring in because he has the size college coaches covet in a defensive back.

• Content Count:  4,016

He doesn't even have a profile on Rivals, unless I'm missing it. Searching separately by name or high school doesn't bring him up. I'd like to see some video or analysis. This story makes him sound good, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I've seen him play and he is good.  Real good.  He's about 6-2 200lbs, and would be a perfect SS in our system.  He hits like a ton of bricks, and plays mean.  Has a tendency to take plays off, or be somewhat nonchalant at times, but he's also surrounded by inferior talent in the defensive backfield.  Palmetto's talent is all young and they'll have some big prospects coming out in 2011, and 2012 so for now Ty is it, and he sometimes has to do everything.  But to me, after Dowling he's the best big safety on the west coast of FL.  He played Dowling in week one and SE, he had quite a few nasty hits, and batted down a few passes including perfect coverage on Dowling on two fade routes into the end zone where he knocked the ball down and out dueled Dowling in the air for the ball which is not an easy proposition.  Dowling is more of a FS, he plays very finesse but what can you say Dowling has an INT in 7 straight games, and 3 have been pick sixes.  He's great but he doesn't play with the physicality that Ty Scott plays with, which is fine since Dowling will be a FS, and Scott most likely a SS.  The big issue with him right now is grades.  Woodie saying 'once he becomes qualified' is a bit cavalier since I've understood he's far from a lock to get eligible.  We're limited in scholarships this year which is probably why the staff is waiting to see if he's a late sign and place or legitimately can be a guy to grab a commitment early and get eligible.  Anyone that has good contacts in HS football thinks this kid is talented, it's just the eligibility factor.  He has about a dozen or so 1-A schools sniffing around but it's eligibility.

• Content Count:  1,797

And then there is the Athletic Admissions committee.  What if Scott barely meets NCAA requirements for eligibility, but is in that questionable category that the committee does not like?  Do the coaches commit one of their 'exceptions' for a guy that plays the same position as Mark Joyce one of our already committed guys?  That is something that has to factor into the coaches' thinking these days too.

Normal

• Content Count:  4,016

And then there is the Athletic Admissions committee.  What if Scott barely meets NCAA requirements for eligibility, but is in that questionable category that the committee does not like?  Do the coaches commit one of their 'exceptions' for a guy that plays the same position as Mark Joyce one of our already committed guys?  That is something that has to factor into the coaches' thinking these days too.

Normal

Normal Joyce is not a safety.  Really he's going to be an OLB because he isn't nearly as rangy as Ty Scott, nor is he particularly good in space, and Joyce is much thicker.  Joyce plays really good at the line of scrimmage.  Joyce plays more of a rover position in HS, sometimes he's back, but he's usually up near the LOS a lot on rushing downs, an that's where he looks the most comfortable.

I think the deal is USF is still going after a few previously committed safeties because those guys are still giving them some play, and they're the only other athletes on the board ahead of Ty.  I think they're waiting on Ty while they pursue other options like those-- most of the names are obvious.  The staff has the luxury, since Ty isn't eligible right now, to sit back and watch him play his senior year.  They can get some additional eval, and go after guys like Robinson, and Dowling.

Ty Scott is a gifted player.  Right now he could be starting at FS or SS for any number of 1-A programs.  I just think he's so far from eligibility that the likelihood is slim and none (this is why the limited to no play by other sites- no camps, and no eligibility).  I am guessing is if USF doesn't get the 2-3 others that are already committed then USF signs in February to limited fanfare and then puts him at one of their MS JC spots.  Make Ty feel loved because he will be a top flight kid coming out of JUCO in 3 years, but you also need to evaluate if he has the ability academically, and drive to get through JC.  No need to waste a space there either.

Archived