• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Insider Claims Memphis, Maybe ucif, To Be Announced As Big East Members Soon

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  174

I can see Memphis in the Big East with its Basketball program.

With what basketball program?

What planet are you from? And yes I know about the vacated season of wins. But they are always in the mix.

Yeah they're always in the mix in the NCAA Infractions office.  They've been on probation (once this one happens) three times in the past thirty years for hoops, and have had their last two final four visits vacated, and trophies returned.  Yeah that's something to strive for..I will say the corruption on the hoops team at least mimics it's city.  Memphis and it's politicians are as corrupt as they come which is why the fans maybe put up with the continuously blatant cheating.

BTW, why is everyone so gullable.  The Presidents vote on this stuff, and I haven't heard of a President in the BE that cowtails to an AD or HC.

MikeG, there is no 'plea for leniency', and no 1-AA teams have conference championships.  They have an outright playoff in 1-AA.  Some conferences play mini 1-AA playoff games, Southern v. Grambling...but they do not have championships.  Throw out your 1-AA analogy and the NCAA would never bend on this, if it did the ACC, SEC, and maybe B12 would sue, claiming the unnecessarily expanded and therefore the original teams lost revenue.

ok-- let me ask you one thing.

Did the NCAA rules have a provision for the creation of the BCS prior to it happening? If you say no-- then I guess it never was possible or couldn't happen since the NCAA will never bend to such outlandish ideas.

I'm keeping an open mind on how things might shake out- an incorrect theory here and there doesn't necessarily sink the entire thought-- only points out the roadblocks to something happening. I thought this was a discussion board where we could propose wild thoughts. I proposed some, you can argue them. Neither of us will actually have anything to do with what ends up happening-- even if that is nothing at all.

(the response to this should be interesting)

what are you talking about.  You do realize the NCAA has no control over the bowls and 1-A team tie-ins, and television, that was stripped away in landmark court cases in the 80's when the conferences fought to get their own tv rights.  The NCAA governs the universities and conference set-ups...that is it.  The BCS's members includes both FBC, and FCS teams....it is not a monopoly as some ignorantly suggest, it is an oligopoly made up of all 1-A programs banded together to generate a greater television contract.  There is fact, and there is perception sometimes people spend to much time arguing the semantics of 'perception'....

it's like someone saying the MWC is not a member of the BCS, bull crap, all 1-AA teams and conferences are BCS members the only differenc is MWC doesn't get an auto-bid to a "BCS Game"...however as some have more eloquently pointed out, they certainly do, since the MWC/WAC have routed the past four years putting a team in a BCS game...their champion, and those teams didn't have to go undefeated.

I understand your whole 'open mind thing'....but I don't understand what you're having an 'open mind' about?  At this juncture this is all a bunch of pontificating.  The point is MEmphis alum are still seething over not getting added to the BE the first go around.  SO their AD has to look like something meaningful is being done, so hire Tranghese.  However Tranghese has made it blatantly obvious that there is absolutely no discussions going on with the BE regarding expansion to include Memphis, and at the present time the BE is not open to it.

It's great to have an 'open mind' but don't waste to much time wrapping it around scenarios that right now are unlikely to occur for some time.

that's some good advice

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I don't want it. I don't see it happening. It won't increase revenue per team. ACC originals didn't increase revenue after expansion. All it did was give them a tougher road to a BCS game. A former BE team has taken that spot 3 of 5 years. It only benefited v tech, miami and bc financially.

dream scenario: BE and ACC merge creating 2 ten team divisions. It will never, ever happen but that would be one powerful conference.

I don't want it. I don't see it happening. It won't increase revenue per team. ACC originals didn't increase revenue after expansion. All it did was give them a tougher road to a BCS game. A former BE team has taken that spot 3 of 5 years. It only benefited v tech, miami and bc financially.

dream scenario: BE and ACC merge creating 2 ten team divisions. It will never, ever happen but that would be one powerful conference.

and an even more impressive 28 team basketball conference.... the whole problem revolves around the strangle hold basketball has on the conference. I think they added Depaul and Marquette precisely to maintain that arrangement

and an even more impressive 28 team basketball conference.... the whole problem revolves around the strangle hold basketball has on the conference. I think they added Depaul and Marquette precisely to maintain that arrangement

I said it would NEVER happen but they would obviously split from catholic basketball schools.

Play a 9 game round robin in the atlantic coastal division and BE division. Play a championship game. Create a TV network. The bargaining power of that conference would be unbelievable.

I said it would NEVER happen but they would obviously split from catholic basketball schools.

Play a 9 game round robin in the atlantic coastal division and BE division. Play a championship game. Create a TV network. The bargaining power of that conference would be unbelievable.

how would you split the teams up.... division wise

how would you split the teams up.... division wise

move Miami and BC back to the BE division. Miami could then keep FSU as an OOC traditional rival like they had before leaving. It would make the hybrid conference one of  the strongest in the country instead of 2 of the weakest in the bcs.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Memphis will be in the BEast long before a merger like would ever happen...

• Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

if a merger were to happen...hmm

Here it is...

BIG EAST/ACC Merger Conference. 

Call it the BIG ATLANTIC CONFERENCE

There would be a south and north division.

The North Division would have 10 teams.

BC, UCONN, CUSE, RUTGERS, PITT, WVU, MARYLAND, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati

The South Division would also have 10 teams. 

USF, FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Duke, UNC, Clemson, Wake, NC State

That sounds like a dream conference to me!!!

WOOT WOOT!!!

GO BULLS!!!

the Big East name in basketball would be hard to just toss to the side

Your plan sounds vaguely familiar...

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2009/08/think-this-will-work.html

Archived