• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greg Zaun...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

seems to really make a difference for Kazmir at least.  With Zaun here the past month, and watching him call games versus Navarro, I realize that Navi is really a marginal catcher all around at this point. 

Under Zaun's oversight Kazmir has pitched into the 8th, and 7th innings the past two games.  He has given up a total of 3 runs, and struck out 13.  He's gone further then he has in the past year in two games, and seems to dominate and be in control.

They may have found the magic to get Kazmir back, a 40 year old catcher...who calls games right, pumps up Kaz, and makes him throw pitches he should, not what he wants to.

• Content Count:  12,293

yep.  i just wish he could of kept that pitch in front of him last night.

but zaun is a great game caller.  the young staff really respect him. 

navi is gonna be sent packing shortly.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,475
  • Days Won:  13

Zaun also has a ring.

• Content Count:  4,016

Zaun also has a ring.

yeah, yeah I know he won it with the Marlins.  I have just marveled at his two starts with Kazmir.  In both games Kazmir looked like the ace he was capable of being, not forcing things, throwing the fast ball at appropriate times but using more breaking and sliders in the strike zone.  At yet just three weeks ago Kazmir under the Navi/Hernandez eye looked just awful.  Always going deep in counts, never quite finding the pitch to get a guy out, and then by the 5th inning with pitch counts near 100.  In his last two starts what's even more amazing is Kazmir didn't get to 100 pitches until the 8th and 7th innings.  The longest of the year, and his career in doing so.

Matt, i wish he could have kept that pitch in front of him too...but **** that ball hit the dirt like 5 ft before the plate with break to it.  I don't know any catcher that could have stopped that one.  Again this one of those joe maddon flaws.  You take the good with the bad of course, but it was clear by the first batter that JP Howell didn't have his usual stuff.  He should have been yanked then, before the homer.  This isn't like JP is some killer top flight closer with 98 MPH heat he can always turn to, and that rarely blows a save....sure those types of guys you keep in.  JP is a junk ball pitcher, a true set-up man, who is 'filling in' as a closer.  Once you see that he's having trouble getting that breaking junk over the plate, and the opposition has taken the tact of 'taking' his pitches instead of chasing.  He should have pulled him.

Oh well.

Archived