• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brett's blog -- Franks: Ford has to “earn trust back�

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

Franks: Ford has to “earn trust backâ€

Posted By Brett McMurphy at Aug 17, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Updated Aug 17, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Suspended for USF’s first two games for violating team rules, junior RB Mike Ford has to “earn everybody’s trust back,†USF RBs coach Carl Franks told me Monday.

“He realizes he not only let down himself, but he let down his teammates, which is the most important thing,†Franks said. “It’s a tough situation. He has a family. He let them down to some degree and the coaching staff to some degree.

“He’s got to get back and earn everybody’s trust back. He can do that.â€

Read the rest...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

What's everyones guess as to what this kid did again?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

i assume he missed too many classes

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Here we are at that 'lessons in life' part of being in college.

It doesn't much matter what Mike Ford did.  It was a violation of team rules and he is being punished per team rules.  Now, "inquiring minds want to know" but I suggest we let Mike Ford take his punishment, learn and get on with life.  There is nothing to be gained in a debate of the myriad of possible things he could have done wrong when we never invest the time to seek out the myriad of things Ford and others do right.

There are times that people here criticize Jim Leavitt, the program or college football in general regarding player behavior and the conversation ultimately swings to the responsibility schools have to not just create good athletes but to create good people.  Get them the education, the life lessons and experience in a community setting.  Make men out of them.  Teach them.  Make them responsible and mature.

Well, it looks to me over the years that the USF Football program is trying to do that.  With Ford specifically, let's let the discipline run its course.  Much like the situation with Giddins, it is NOT our business because we buy a football ticket any more than it is a beat writer's business because they have to write a story.  It is the business of the football program to address any indiscretions.

I guess I'm trying to say, as a father, that these young men should and are being addressed in private.  They should have the same opportunity to correct their errors as my son or your son would have.  They should be able to make changes and corrections and not be subject to public humiliation or ridicule..or message board wild *** guesses.

We are talking about a kid making mistakes within the confines of team rules - rules that regular students on campus need not be concerned with.  So let's not treat them like an NFL program of NFL players.  It's not that.  Unlike the NFL, it's a college football program charged with the development of student-athletes.  We can't just put those that make a mistake on waivers or fine them $5000. 

The school has a responsibility to the players, as do we.  Let's try not to further sully a player's name because an infraction of rules is announced or something happens within a practice.

We're all fans here and we watch everything with the sharpest of vision and interest.  We need to remember this is not a video game, we're dealing with real people who do deserve decent treatment and respect - even from us anonymous message board guys.  Let's let the team rules handle this but, out of our concern for the program and Mike Ford, keep an eye on where things go from here.

Archived