• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So Coach Heath tweeted Congrats to Mike Mercer on his graduation...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

my  bad guys  I really thought I saw committed by this guys name earlier

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I realize that Greg, but after Mercer was dismissed, I could see Heath telling Dumars, Noriega, and their parents and coaches, "It looks like I will need you to be ready for next season because the projected starter is not going to be on the team." 

Now the guy is back.  Again, not a problem for me, but potentially a credibility issue for the staff.  That's all that I am sayin'.

Normal

Credibility because he reinstates a former scholarship player as a walk-on?  A guy that has exactly one year of eligibility versus the other three that have 5 to play 4?

I think that's stretching it a bit.  If a parent or player was that sensitive, especially considering they signed before he left, then they probably weren't good for the team anyway.  I mean if he took a kid that suddenly became available at the 11th hour, with 2 or more years of eligibility left, at their position and gave him a schollie...well that I could see if the families would feel slighted.  But reinstating a former player as a walk-on to give him one more year is a bit of a stretch.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Mercer's graduation will help USF from an APR standpoint, too. Mercer, as a graduate with a year of eligibility remaining, is now in the same boat Grant Gregory was in this spring -- he's eligible, with the proper waiver, to transfer to any school and play immediately. The waiver requires him to identify a graduate degree that isn't offered at his current school, but it's another option for him ...

Archived