• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So Coach Heath tweeted Congrats to Mike Mercer on his graduation...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

"Congratulations to Mike Mercer on continuing his education and graduating today!"

-Coach_Heath

Wasn't there some talk about Mercer rejoining if certain things were met?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Here is the report on that:

June 15, 2009

'Long shot,' but guard Mercer could rejoin Bulls

I'll preface this by making it clear that a few things have to happen before it's even a slight possibility, but USF coach Stan Heath said Monday that he would consider allowing senior guard Mike Mercer to rejoin the Bulls as a walk-on if he graduates as scheduled this summer and fulfills a pre-trial agreement that would have a misdemeanor charge against him dropped.

"His focus and my focus is totally on him graduating," Heath said. "I really want (that) badly for him, and I think he's doing a good job in that area. I've really been pleased with how he's gone through this process of doing what he's supposed to, but it's been totally on him finishing school."

Mercer, who was lost to a season-ending knee injury in December, was dismissed from the team in January after his second arrest in four months, which saw him and teammate Anthony Crater charged with a misdemeanor count of possession of marijuana after a traffic stop near campus. Mercer had been previously arrested in September on a charge of public consumption of alcohol. That charge has since been dropped in conjunction with Mercer entering a pre-trial agreement on the drug charge that calls for probation, community service and payment of court costs.

Even if Mercer were to fulfill his legal obligations and graduate in August, Heath said he isn't sure if he would -- or could -- allow him to return to the team. Heath already gave Mercer a second chance before the two arrests after he had been dismissed from the basketball team at Georgia. Heath said he has not spoken to athletic director Doug Woolard or others who would have to sign off on such a return.

"It's a discussion I'd need to have with my superiors," Heath said. "I don't want to say no, because at the time when everything happened, it was a no, but he's done enough right now where if he continues, I'm not going to totally say that's out of the realm of possibility, but it's a long shot right now."

USF has three freshmen -- Jordan Dumars, Shaun Noriega and Mike Burwell -- who are expected to compete for playing time at shooting guard/small forward alongside junior Dominique Jones and a rotations of point guards, and Mercer would give the Bulls experience and depth at the position.

Mercer, a two-year starter at Georgia, averaged 11.3 points in three games with the Bulls before he injured his knee against Wright State on Dec. 21. He could not be reached for comment, but his father Mike Mercer Sr. said from Georgia last week that his son has been concentrating on finishing his degree and will then make a decision about his basketball future.

Check back Tuesday for lots more on USF basketball -- we'll have Q&As with new assistants Eric Skeeters and Jeremy Cox along with Heath, and we'll tell you what veteran NBA guard was working with the Bulls guards in the Sun Dome on Monday ...

June 15, 2009

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/06/page/6/

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I'd like to know what conditions would have to be met if Coach Heath was given the green light to let Mercer back on the team, but I'd be worried about him disrupting team chemistry.

• Content Count:  259
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think you lose much by giving him a chance.  He graduated and would be coming on the team as a walk-on.  He was a superior talent at Georgia. 

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not sure mercer really ever disrupted team chemistry, despite his problem.  It was more a stance of you have to do things the right way.  This is a big step for Mercer in his life, regardless of whether he plays college ball again.  Congrats to him.  Whatever Heath and Woolard decide is fine with me.  Mike isn't a bad kid, just made bad decisions and is doing things right right now... hopefully for his sake, a light went off in his head and he is going to stick with this direction.

• Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

Scout has him as a commit to next years team.  Does anyone has any info on this guy

• Content Count:  1,797

Nupe:  Where on Scout do you see Myles listed as a commit?  I looked under Basketball Recruiting and then 'Commits' and it has no players listed.  The Prospect database has him listed.  He claims that USF has offered and USF is the only team of interest listed by Scout, but I don't see where he is committed.

That doesn't mean that he won't commit.....but as of now, I cannot find a commitment.  All I know about him is what is listed in the Scout database.

Normal

Back to Mercer:  I would guess that there would be some reservations about having Mike back on the team for a variety of reasons.  For example:

A.  Coach has made some promises about playing time to Burwell, Dumars, Noreiga, etc.  Now you throw in a guy who when you were recruiting some of these guys you said would not be on the team.  Players, parents and coaches remember these sorts of things.

B.  Less than a month after showing up on campus as a freshman transfer, Anthony Crater is caught with MJ with Mercer on Bruce B. Downs.  If I am a parent of a new freshman this year, I am naturally concerned about the safety and well being of my child.  Do I want a dude like Mercer hanging with my child?  WE all know that if Mike is on campus, he likely will hang out with the team even if he is not on the team.  We might also be more forgiving than a parent of a new college student too.

My personal opinion?  If Woolard okays it (that means Judy okays it) than I am fine with Coach Heath giving him another shot.  Obviously there would have to be some very strict conditions. 

It should be interesting to see how this plays out.  It is possible that Mike may want to sign with an agent and play pro ball in Europe now that he has his degree.  That certainly would be an option for him.

Normal

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Noriega and Dumars were signed before Mercer was dismissed from the team, so they signed on expecting him to be there this season.

I realize that Greg, but after Mercer was dismissed, I could see Heath telling Dumars, Noriega, and their parents and coaches, "It looks like I will need you to be ready for next season because the projected starter is not going to be on the team." 

Now the guy is back.  Again, not a problem for me, but potentially a credibility issue for the staff.  That's all that I am sayin'.

Normal

Archived