• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MLB Draft- Who/what are the Rays need....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

ok, the Rays are one of the most loaded teams in all of MLB in the minor league system.  We're just starting to see the effects of Niemann, Price, Brignac, and Joyce.  It doesn't even touch some of their other highly heralded prospects like Jennings, Hellickson, Davis, Beckham, Rollins, Houser, and others.

They're fairly loaded at pitchinig, even if Kaz, and Sonnie don't get it back together and require eventual replacing.  They're also picking very last, and there is a likelihood we'll see 1-2 big timers gone by next year traded for more young talent.  They're solid at 3rd, SS, 2nd, 1st base...the outfield is loaded and with Jennings you might have a replacement ready if they decide to trade Crawford.

What this team and organization needs is a bigtime catcher!  I read a MLB report and since we're picking so late we can probably pick up one of the better catchers available then.  I think Navi's defense is regressing, ditto for his offense, I don't believe he maximizes his pitchers potential, and continually is in below average condition.  Behind him we've just got a bunch of journeymen.

To keep things going the Rays must draft well, trade strong players when their value gets to high for more young talent.  My guess is over the next 12 months we'll see a Crawford, Kaz, and maybe Ben Zobrist head out for more youth, and help on defense.

• Content Count:  487

Joyce was drafted by the Tigers.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,476
  • Days Won:  13

Joyce was drafted by the Tigers.

so what is your point?

• Content Count:  12,293

catchers are so tough to draft though.  the biggest part of becoming a MLB catcher is the ability to handle it defensively.

if they do go the catcher route i hope they do it at the prep level.  i still dont know why jaso hasnt been called up and given a shot.

there is no joe mauer or matt wieters in this draft.  but at 29 they could take the best catcher available at any level.

i would like them to take a high school OF.  someone to develop into a huge powerhitter.

catchers are so tough to draft though.  the biggest part of becoming a MLB catcher is the ability to handle it defensively.

if they do go the catcher route i hope they do it at the prep level.  i still dont know why jaso hasnt been called up and given a shot.

there is no joe mauer or matt wieters in this draft.  but at 29 they could take the best catcher available at any level.

i would like them to take a high school OF.  someone to develop into a huge powerhitter.

I am with you Matt.  My concern is there rumors seem to have them drafting a catcher as a goal, but like you said there isn't a Mauer out there, and if there was he'd be taken to early.  The rest of the catchers they're contemplating are somewhat crap shoots at this point.  I always look at catcher as you start first with a guy that can call good games and is a student of the game, second one that can play defense, and third one that can hit.  Of all the positions on the field I'd give up a hitting player for a heady one it's catcher first then SS.  Hernandez has proven to be a smart game caller, average defender, and an OK hitter, Jaso has the tools too.  Wait to see what options are left in the 2nd thru 10th rounds and they should be able to find a well tooled catcher in those rounds.

I don't agree about outfield though and I'll tell you why.  First, Jennings is bigtime and the heir apparent for Crawford if, or rather when, the team decides to unload him.  For the doubters I love Crawford he is my favorite Ray, but Tampa Bay must build their teams like the Twins and use them as the model.  The Twins would not resign or they would trade a guy like Crawford because he's hit his pinnacle, is heading for an enormous contract and offers lots to a future team....but we've got Jennings if we unload him, a kid that is hitting .365 in Montgomery with all the speed and power we want.  Also, I get the feeling Tim Beckham is going to go the way of BJ Upton.  He's an error machine at SS in the minors but he's also an excellent hitter like BJ, and great baserunner.  If he can't get the errors in check they'll move him to the outfield and he offers a similar skillset of BJ.  In RF we've got Joyce, and we've also got Eldridge, Perez, and Zobrist can play the outfield too.  All are on smaller long-term contracts.

I suppose when in doubt go for an OF, but we're pretty stacked in the OF even if we got rid of Crawford as some rumors imply might happen sooner rather than later.  I'd like an infielder, maybe a power hitting first baseman out of HS, a college 2nd baseman who could fill what is inevitably going to be the loss of Aki.  Those are my first choices.  Perhaps look for another pitcher that could eventually close, some flame throwing crazy lefty that's in college.  As far as starters go we're rather stacked with Neimann starting to come into his own and is a more than capable 4 or 5, Price is only getting better with each start, Hellickson is a 22 year old future superstar, Rollins has star written all over him and they have 1-2 more pitching prospects that are young who are on the verge of breaking out too.

My desire is first look to the infield, anything but third, then look for an OF, and then a flamethrower pitcher who could find a spot in a bullpen in 2 or so years maybe eventually a closer, and finally a catcher...but man if you go catcher make sure it's because all the aforementioned targets they had at other spots were taken in the 28 draft positions ahead of them...that's just my opinion.

i dont see them trading CC any time soon. havent you been saying that for a few years now?

i dont see them trading CC any time soon. havent you been saying that for a few years now?

I was on the BJ trade bandwagon last year- that was less of a rational baseball call and more based on his play and attitude, but remember after 2010 BJ will be a FA so they'll either need to sign him soon or be prepared to lose him.  Taking a Twins model you have to think it through, in that situation the Twins would either unload a CC to make salary room for BJ, or unload BJ.  There will be a time soon the Rays will need to trade one or two stars to continue to bolster the minors.  The model the Rays are going after is the Twins.  We're not going to be able to keep all these young guys and wait for them all to demand high dollar contracts.  We're already at or near the upper tier limit for salaries.  It may not be CC, but each year the Rays will make moves like trading an Edwin Jackson (who is now an amazing 6-2 with a 2.10 ERA) to try and grab other talented athletes of need.  Jackson was a good trade because at the end of this year he was up for negotiation, or arbitration...they got Joyce who's already proven his worth and optioning him to the minors early gives them 2 more years with him sitting on his current salary.

Gotta manage the talent smart as Rays because we'll never keep up with the Sox, Yanks, and even Orioles on buying binges alone.  Crawford is just a thought, we all know Aki is gone at the end of the year with the $6M option looming, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them unload a Kazmir, or Crawford to open salary, gain more young talent, and open the door for other talent in the minors to step up.

Max Stassi would be a solid young catcher for the rays to draft. 

Max Stassi would be a solid young catcher for the rays to draft. 

He appears to be one of their primary targets at the 30th pick.  After today one thing is for sure the Rays need to find a closer and fast, unfortunately it obviously won't be someone that can help immediately through the draft.  The Percy gamble has failed, that one is a bit on Joe Maddon, and to date we've gave away 5 games this season in the 8th inning or beyond.  JP Howell is only a decent set-up guy, Wheeler is Ok, but after that we're stocked full of journeymen.  If the Rays knew what was good for them, if they wanted to make another meaningful run this season, they would see what they could do to trade for a decent closer.  There is no way, no how, the current bullpen can get them back into the pennant chase without a true blue closer.  It's really sad to see the one obvious hang-up of the team be it's achilles heel.

Sorry for the tangent, I am a fan of Max Stassi, but personally I am not a fan of taking a catcher in the first round unless you can grab a real stud.  Stassi is a HS catcher that will take about five to six years to be ready for the majors.  I'd be more happy with another position player and picking up a solid catcher or two from HS in the 3rd thru 10th rounds.  That's just my opinion of course, I am of the opinion a team like the Rays can never have enough good pitching prospects or outfielders.  They make good trade bait too.

Archived