• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football's 5 year plan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Days Won:  22

So here is what I have set as a MINIMUM requirement for me to consider USF football as being successful in moving forward in the next 5 years.

USF plays the BigThree- 8 times in that time period with 4 at home.

I think USF must win at least THREE

In that time period we should

Win Big East at least TWICE

Make a Bowl every year. win at least three

Make a BCS Bowl twice and win at least once.

These are the realistic goals that I think USF should be able to accomplish. Can we do better? Yes but as I said these are what I consider a must to look at our program taking the next step.

Thoughts?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

aside from the bowl appearances, everything else on the list would be unprecedented. not saying it can't happen, but it'd certainly be impressive if usf did what you're seeking ...

Greg

thats why im saying it would be whats needed for our program to step up to a higher level.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It all really boils down to RECRUITING.

If we can recruit equal to or better than we did this year then your plan is doable.

So here is what I have set ...  for me to consider USF football as being successful in moving forward in the next 5 years.

... it would be whats needed for our program to step up to a higher level.

So you are basically saying that failing to achieve a higher level in five years... or within 17 seasons of playing football... would be a failure.

Considering how long it took every other high level program to get to a high level, don't you consider your expectations to be just a tad high?

Realistically, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

What happens if...

* USF wins 7 of 8 games against the big 3, the Big East four times, but loses all four BCS bowls?

* USF wins all 8 games against UF, FSU, and Miami but never wins the Big East?

* USF loses all 8 games but wins the Big East five times?

I would say the minimum for me to consider the program successful is just making it to a bowl game every year.  That does not mean we'll get to some undefinable "higher level" ... if it even really exists ... but so many schools are on the bubble or never make bowl games... just making a bowl game means you have achieved some measure of success.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I agree with Cuban.

These are not unrealisic goals.

They are set very high, but they are not unachievable.  They are doable.

Whoever said you have to set goals low.

• Content Count:  292
  • Days Won:  0

those ar lofty goals

im tellin you once usf wins the big east and plays in a bcs game, recruiting will take off.

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

I'm more in Jim-Sig's camp and would add that if just one of those achievements were added to the 'every year in a bowl' that this would respresent marked improvement.

Jim

Those are lofty goals but as I said IF USF wants to move up and really become part of the BigThree then that is what is needed. I think people will NOT see USF moving forward if they havent won the Big East in a five year period and honestly with the conditions of the BE I expect the Bulls to be in the running for the title every year.

Miami went from:

1978 6-5

1979 5-6

1980 9-3 Peach Bowl

1981 9-2

1982 7-4

To

4 out of 5 years of10 wins or more.

If USF spends the next 5 years with 8-5 to 9-4 years and doesnt win the BE in that time period, yes I will consider it a failure on the coaching staff.

You dont think that in the next five years USF shouldnt have at least TWO 10-2 or better and be BE champions?

We have come a long way but being in Florida we need to move to the next level in the next 5 years.

sorry Jim but making stPete, CarCare Bowls for the next five years would mean we have NOT improved from where we currently are.

Archived