• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Transghese Talks about Football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

Could not agree more with this statement.

"There's always talk about the football schools breaking away in the future. Do you foresee that happening?

"Because of our size you've got to pay attention when people constantly talk about it because being this big we can always be a target. But right now, sitting in rooms with presidents, there's no talk of splitting. When we did the last TV contract, the size and magnitude caught people completely off guard. That's when they realized what this is doing for us. If there's an issue, a lot of people would like to have a ninth football school. But it doesn't get any traction because there's no one out there that makes us better. If there was someone who made us better, I think we would talk about it seriously."

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

That's why I wish people would give the expansion talk a rest. Tranghese is spot on and there is too much money on the table for all the Big East programs for them to consider a split.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

He hit the nail on the head. Do not bring in someone just for the sake of bringing someone else in to make a 9 or 10 team conference. I would like to see Memphis join, but until they can get better at football, they can stay in C-USA.

• Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

That is a catch-22, with Memphis, they can't recruit better until they are in a BCS conf.  They could be a very good F.B. team given the same chance USF, LOU. and CINN got.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Agree with Cygnus... also what contract is he talking about? If its basketball then that does nothing for USF... football is our main cash cow.

This is where I'm coming from... Basketball is great for UConn, Marquette, St Johns and such but does diddly for USF which is a football school in a football state.

Agree with Cygnus... also what contract is he talking about? If its basketball then that does nothing for USF... football is our main cash cow.

This is where I'm coming from... Basketball is great for UConn, Marquette, St Johns and such but does diddly for USF which is a football school in a football state.

Actually, you would be a bit off.  USF gets a good share of the basketball TV contract.  Far, far better than our old C-USA contract.

Football may sell tickets and is the reason people donate... but USF makes a pretty penny on Men's and Women's basketball as well.

And while this is a football state... if the men's team ever starts winning, the Sun Dome will be packed and our basketball revenue can grow substantially.

Archived